• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Records

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dynamic Apnea Record? (without fins)

• 0-25 M

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • 25-50 M

Votes: 27 25.5%
  • 50-75 M

Votes: 39 36.8%
  • 75- 100 M

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • 100-125 M

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • 125-150 M

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 150-175 M

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Hmmm??

I dont really dive, or swim much or anything.
but i can do >60m underwater no problem without fins. Im pretty sure that if i practiced ide be able to get a good 75m in no time.

I tried diving the other day but had a problem equalizing. how can i do it???
i try but the pressure just kills me at like 20ft!!, so i just hang out at that depth for a while.

anybody have any usefull tips regarding how to properly equalize so that i can go deeper??

Reactions: thud
Re: Hmmm??

Originally posted by Wet_Willy
II tried diving the other day but had a problem equalizing. how can i do it???

anybody have any usefull tips regarding how to properly equalize so that i can go deeper??

Welcome Willy, post in the Beginner Freeediving Forum, and I'm sure you will get some answers.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

improved my pb !

I am now in the 50-75 m league !! :) .

I did a 68 m dive to be exact, my previous pb was 50 m (in a 25 m pool). To me, this shows that 50 m or 2 lengths was a psychological boundary instead of a physical one. I did however have a small samba (first one I ever had, it wasn't uncomfortable or anything) so it is not a 'clean' pb.

And who the hell voted 521 times '150-175 m'. I don't think this poll is very representative.

How do you start off these dynamics and how do you do the turn at the end (if in a pool)?

Pushing off against the pool wall every 25 meters will make it a lot easier to swim a given distance compared to just swimming all those meters.

Just curious how you guys do this?

Pushing off against the pool wall every 25 meters will make it a lot easier to swim a given distance compared to just swimming all those meters.

Are you sure about this? :D
Most freedivers that I know - including myself - claim the direct opposite. If possible, you always try to avoid turning with fins - especially monofins. DNF maybe a little different story....

Last edited:
St3fan,

I think these guys are talking about no fins dynamics. But it still doesn't make much sense, because I read in another thread that a few guys did the 25 meter pool lenght in just 3 strokes, so now I am thinking what a stroke is? One complete motion with arms and legs? If so, then I can do it (25 m) in no less than 8 strokes. As low as 3 just sounds insane... :confused:

Originally posted by Tommy Engfors

One complete motion with arms and legs? If so, then I can do it (25 m) in no less than 8 strokes. As low as 3 just sounds insane... :confused:

Pezman posted two vids of David Lee covering 25m with 3 strokes on the thread A few details re dynamic without fins:
www.apneablue.com/videos/25m ucb pass1.wmv
www.apneablue.com/videos/25m ucb pass2.wmv

Actually, judging from vid 1
1: a kick from the wall + breaststroke hands
2: breaststroke legs + dolphin kick + breaststroke hands
3: breaststroke legs + dolphin kick + breaststroke hands

I get nowhere with that... ;)

Thanks for the flowers!

Always nice to get credit for another's work, but David posted the original links and Loopy fixed them up a bit. I just copied then into the other thread that you cited.

hi

5-6-7 strokes in 25 meters if fine-- if you work out I litle more with your body position- streamline-- and with the powerful kick-you can do lest - -- it take time-- but sure you will do it.

when I first start doing this I did 8 stroke in 25 meters- and I say to my self -it is imposible to do 3 or 4 stroke in 25 meters-- after that -I did 7 and then 6 and now 4 stroke in 25 meter-- and Im happy with it--
and as a friend us mine say this is funny all we need is just a few stroke to do 50 meters...yo compararia esto como el arte del unassisted---this is the reason why I like the unassisted
o I forgot something ( the pushing off again the wall is very important to -because the more distant you get when pushing from the wall the lest stroke you will need to reach the other side of the pool-- aqui todo cuenta

saludos
Daniel.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Pezman
Thanks for the flowers!

Always nice to get credit for another's work, but David posted the original links and Loopy fixed them up a bit. I just copied then into the other thread that you cited.

Heh, you're welcome... ;) Didn't notice the other thread, and I wouldn't have bumped in the videos if it wasn't for you.
David should of course get the credit ultimately for actually pulling off the real deal in the pool.

Hey all, Always nice to come and check on you guys every once in a while...FYI I think it's possible to do this 25m thing in 2 strokes...I managed to get 2.5 strokes a few weeks ago...everything in the vids except the last arm stroke...so in other words the final frog kick got me there without the arms...I think with some concentrating on streemlining and a nice strong push from the side of the pool it will work...I tried a nice strong push but it was so strong it pulled the goggles off my face and I was too tired after training to try again....Anyway, I am headed to jamaica for a month of training so it will be a while before i see confined water to try again...I'm not complaining :D

Kick, Glideand Push Off

David: I love watching the videos of you dive, it is an inpiration, and I am looking forward to seeing more.

Tommy, I used to be in the same boat as you, I could not understand how anybody could do 25 metres in less than 6 strokes because I was doing 8, and I am quite strong in my upper body and I was pulling hard with my arms.

I have it down to five now, and the keys for me were:

1). Really getting more out of my kick by applying downward mementum by kicking down with my legs. I used to not have a forward flick (i.e my legs would be more or less straight when viewed from the side or horizonal perspective. If you look at David, his kick does two things, he has a frog type motion when viewed from the top, but he also has a kicking motion when view from the side when he straightens his legs in almost a finning type motion). So there are actually two sources of thrust there, and in the the past I was only using one so was only advancing about two feet per kick.

2). The second was to glide a lot more and be patient. This is all about body position and relaxing. You will notice that David takes a long time, 21 seconds to get accross the pool, I was doing it in about 12, so my strokes where frantic and I was not optimally gliding.

3). The third was getting a good push. Focussing on pushing off from the wall hard, gliding, and then getting a really good pull. If I do this properly, I am actually 1/3 of the way there.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Tommy Engfors
Rat Cunning,

Thanks for a very interesting and inspiring post!

I downloaded Davids video ages ago but only took a quick look at it (to see how he managed just 3 strokes). I never analysed the legkick in the detail you described. I will make sure to review that video again and also try to emulate the kick in the style you described. Until now I have pretty much ignored the whole thing as near impossible and just kept focusing on just doing laps and trying to relax (also hard to learn).

I would love to get down to 6 strokes. Only problem I have noticed is that if one glides long enough for the speed to get quite low (almost standstill), one tends to float up... so there is a minimum speed that must be maintained in order to stay down (I am not using any equipment at all, as any freediving related activity is forbidden by the pool staff). For me this sort of compromises the length of each glide. Still, like you said, the kick is really important (and the push of the wall, which I am also practicing). Will keep trying.

One thing that confuses me though is the times. You say Davids time of 21 seconds is quite slow. Well, I need about 37 seconds to cover the same distance. Two laps (50m) takes me about 1 minute 15 seconds. Maybe I am too slow as well?

Hi Guys
Hope you all have great time in the pool.
i have to break the news to you that it are a cold fact that gus that are former swimmers have a advanted that "we normal guy's" will have to work our asses of to get.
I'm a member of the FTÅ team
http://freediving-aland.propercomfy.co.uk/
and we have 2 x-swimmer in our team, and one of 'em do teh 25 m pool in 3 breast strokes and kicks
I have worked on my tech with 'em but I have a loong way to go, but with fins I do it in 4 dolfin kicks, bi fins, but the work still continues.....

have a great day, stay wet, stay safe and go Deep

Hi Tommy

Hi ..Tommy...is good is you use (Cinturon) of 2 or 3 pound..it will keep your body down....also try to keep your torso straight...most of the time we keep our feet up while swimming under water..so doing this we are not having a perfect..streamline...

the push of the wall is very important -

it will be perfect if somebody can take a video when you are training - so you can see what you need to correct..

keep practicing and you will see the different..

saludos

Daniel.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/christianfreedivers

just got back from the pool. was doing some experimenting with stroke and weighting etc.
previously i have been able to cover 25m in 2&3/4 strokes, weighted neutral with 3.7kg neckweight in 2m pool. now today i was using a pool that was 1.5m deep, so inorder to achieve neutral bouyancy i used 4.7kg neckweight, and surprisingly i was able to cover 25m in 2 strokes(push/pull/kick/pull).
the increase is due to 2 things i think: extra momentum firstly, and secondly, even though i was as neutrally bouyant with 3.7kg in 2m of water as i was today with 4.7kg in 1.5m of water, my balance seemed to have improved with more weight(previously i found that even though i was neutrally bouyant, my legs would fall and my fromt half rise somewhat).
i think weighting heavier is a definite experimentation with no-fins dynamics and weadvantage if it can be offset by diving shallower or packing more. increasing stroke lenth can teach one a lot, but it's not an end in itself as dive time is also a factor. i find the optimal number of strokes to be between 4 to 5 per 25m as i think david lee also finds. not just that speed is important( i dive pretty slow i think-150m in 2:53) but its important to relax a bit(to do 25m in 2 strokes you have to be as stiff as a board). hope this helps
bevan

Reactions: Pezman
@Bevan

2 strokes is super-human!

I've managed to get to 3.5 strokes. I've thought about slightly over-weighting and going slightly front heavy (like a few ounces). My theory is that this allows you to store a little more energy per stroke by stroking upward (i.e. pulling up towards the surface) and then release that energy by more or less gliding downward.

Still, I would be shocked if I can get into the 2 strokes across the pool club. Congrats!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT