• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Recovery time from operations

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DHB

Jan 19, 2009
Hey,
Anyone here had their Appendix removed:crutch? Keen to know how long it took till you could dive again.
Thanks

Your doctor is the best (maybe the only) one to make that call. Heck it's winter time so going slow will be easy. When every thing goes well they encourage activity with caution. 20 years ago I had brain surgery and with the doctor's approval, started riding the bicycle in a week and flying 747s in a month. Patience young man. When the doctor does his magic, the operation will be a dim memory in a few months but until then, let him call the shots.

Hey Bill,
Youre right, listening to the doc is always the best idea but my doc is saying 3 months before I dive again! Just wanted to check because it sounded like a bit long for a minor procedure. End of winter is the best time of year to dive here (now).
Thanks.

Bill is of course right with his “listen to the doctor” but,
When I had my Appendix taken out I left it for 4 weeks before I could take it no more. Had a couple of real slow and easy dive’s and over a few weeks worked back up to the normal stuff with no problems.
Take it slow and if your body is saying NO THAT HURTS then don’t do it!

I had a mole removed from my back... It was healing niceley... A week after the stitches were removed I got back into training :martialand I went spearfishing. The wound opened up again and took more than a month to heal after this.:crutch

My advice is to make sure that at least the cut has healed properly if you have been for an open wound operation. Remember in some places, such as those close to big cities etc. ,the water may be polluted which can also cause complications when your body is exposed to such water.

One of the best reefs in South Africa - the Aliwal Shoal gets so polluted because of a factory discharge pipe which is extremely close to the reef, that dolphins and other sea animals die because of the high level of toxicity. Moral of the story, make sure you are healed, don't push it, watch spearing clips on youtube to get you by.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…