• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Recreational- depth wrecks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BatRay

Nov 1, 2002
Hey guys! :)

I'm pretty new to scuba, and I'm curious to see what my options are. At the moment, I'm a recreational diver and should not dive deeper than 100 ft. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any wrecks that are in that neighborhood, preferably in U.S. waters.

Thanks!

BatRay

as your in California - and it's not toooo far - Try some of the Wreck in BC if you get a chance. The Cape Breton and the Saskatchewan are amazing dives. off Nanaimo, Vancouver Island. I've taken new divers there and it's a little imtimidating for them at first, but well worth the extra attention.

Plus your dollar is $1.50 up here! Drop me a line if you're ever up here.

Willer

:I would suggest checking with the local dive shops in the area. They probably put trips together near you. There are tremendous amounts of wrecks in the U.S. that are in 80 feet or less.

If you've got an area of the country you're interested in look up the dive shops on the internet and find out what they're diving.

I dive out of Destin and Panama City, Florida on a regular basis. There are about a dozen structures; wrecks, bridges, barges that are all in 85 feet or less.

Hope this helps.

Jim Baldwin

Amphibious...

What's the water temperature like in BC? I've done my diving in

Monterey Bay, and it was about 50 degrees there.

water temp is about the same - figure 45 - 50. Have never been diving in Cali so couldn't compare.

Amazing diving though. deep, dark, Cold and WONDERFUL!

I'll try to PM you some websites on the locations and wrecks soon. I'm in Saudi Arabia right now so it might take a while as my internetnet time is pretty limited.

Willer

Subs

What about submarines around that depth? Doesn't have to be located in the United States.

Go to N. Carolina! There are a couple of subs...the U-352 for example. Good dive. All the wrecks in the Morehead City area are WWII wrecks so its really cool. Divemasters give good briefings telling about what sub sunk the ship, ect. so you kind of have a sense of history before you see it.

Olympus dive center is who I've been out with when I've gone over there and I highly recommend them. Oh yeah, did I mention the friendly resident sand tiger sharks?

....tiger sharks?

Good sharks or bad sharks?

I just read about U-352 in a submarine book, but I didn't know it was at recreational depth. What's the water temp in that area?

sand tigers...they are the ones with the snaggle puss face, i.e. teeth sticking out everywhere. Great for pics. They are listed as aggressive but there had never been an attack on a diver in the area(I wouldnt spearfish though!) Some of the wrecks appear to be their home as they can be found in groups predictably...the groups do change wrecks, they used to be all over the wreck of the Papoose but are less common there now. If you pay attention you can find their teeth all over the wrecks and sand...makes for a nice souvineir.

The depths average about 130 but are very doable. The divemasters will tie into the wreck...usually at its highest point so it is easy to find your way home.

If you are interested in wrecks this area is a must visit for you...best wreck diving in N. America...just writing about it makes me want to go back. Try a search for Olympus Dive Center and they should have info about their divable wrecks...including subs...also try a general search about wrecks of N. Carolina, they don't call it the graveyard of the Atlantic for nothing!

Last edited:
A very elementary question

Does going below 100 feet require something other than regular air? <new diver:eek: >

No, just a little more care in what you do. Bottom times get very short at 130 so the best way to dive a wreck IMHO is to start as deep as you are going...say the sand is at 130...go to the sand, then start a rising circle around the structure. If you are diving a computer this will increase your bottom time remaining as you rise. Usually in N. C. they tie in to the highest part of the wreck so at the end of your profile you will naturally end up right at the anchor line;)

Alot of divers use nitrox to extend their bottom times on these midrange depth. The trick is to make sure you have the right mix for the depth. If that interest you check with your shop about certification.

:inlove

I visited the Olympus site, looked at their wreck photos... thanks for the reference.

Does anyone know about any underwater towns that are accessible to divers? A town nearby was flooded when the dam was built, but I think it's too deep to get to.

The lost city of Atlantis is nice this time of year...way easy to get to, just go to cabo, take a left....wait a second, I can't givr all my secrets away;)

Very funny rig...:hmm :D

At the moment I'd almost settle for splashing around in a puddle.

Christmas break- all the time in the world, no money.

well if you can find money for febuary and can make it to Vancouver, Canada (bus trip?) we're diving a couple wrecks for spring break. Looks like the HMCS Saskatchewan and the HMCS Cape Bretton. both are <130ft and the charters are $90cdn approx for 2 tank boat dive (one day). I think thats like $60us.

you're more them welcome to come. I can't afford spring break some place warm with our Canadian Peso, so we're going drysuits instead of boardshorts.

Willer

not exactly - somewhere between the feb 15th and 21st. at least two days of boat dives (Snake Island Wrecks) and maybe a couple shoredives for kicks.

http://www.oceanexplorersdiving.com

I have a buddy comming up from VAncouver, Washington and am trying to hammer out some logistics so we can meet.

I'll let you know the details as they arise.

possiblity for some spearfishing too. (limited season :( )

Willer

Last edited:
How advanced are these dives going to be, in general at least?

I'm going to check my school schedule and see how things are. It sounds intriguing. If I don't make it this time, I'll still be interested in heading north in the future.

And I haven't started spearfishing yet, but it sounds like a lot of fun. I need to go check that out at my dive shop. I've tried researching it on this forum, but I wouldn't know where to start.

wrecks rec

If you lived hear in North Carolina i take you till you got blue we gots hundreds

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT