• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Red Sea from the US??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cdavis

Jan 21, 2003
I just realized that diving in Dahab and maybe other areas of the Red Sea is very very cheap. Never considered the possibility, so I haven't paid attention to diving there. Air from the US is a big bite, but it appears that I could live and dive for 10 days or so on less than $1000 US, after air fare. Is this reasonable? I don't need fancy, simple, clean and cool to sleep in is fine.
What is the water temp in early fall? Visibility? Are free divers available for buddies? Am I assuming correctly that there is a lot of diving on high relief terrain with reef walls in 10-40+ m? Any pit falls I need to know about?

Thanks

Connor

Dahab is pretty cheap and can accomodate any standart of living you will require probably and therefore budgets may vary from around 10$ to 100$ a day depending on your choises (and bothering for looking a cheap place). I'de say 10$-20$ a day for eveything is pretty reasonable living (not AC rooms probably). (also varies with seasons).

Viz should be around 25m. I was in Dahab last May or June and the water temp was around 24c. There were ample of freediving buddies - from residents to europeans droping by for training.

The residents I know of are Roland (Immerlustig on db) and Lotta Ericson.

All of my freediving was shore diving, there are a few walls, the famous blue hole, and some sloaps as well.
A coral reservation in the Caribieans would probably offer more marine life but I don't think one can regert getting all the way to dahab. :)

PS: let us know before you're coming, maybe we'll have the chance to dive. :)

Connor, I stayed in Dahab during July '02 and we had a nice hotel on the beach with AC/TV/Breakfast for 20$US/Night. You would easily survive on 40$ US/day, living well, eating well and bringing back some nice souvenirs.
All freedivers should go to Dahab! Now if they'd only let me hunt....
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Thanks Erik and Michael, I really appreciate the info.

Dahab looks fascinating, amazingly inexpensive even with the air fare. I contacted Roland and he is getting me some additional detail. This goes on my calender for fall 2006. 2005 is already full.

Connor

DeepThought said:
Dahab is pretty cheap and can accomodate any standart of living you will require probably and therefore budgets may vary from around 10$ to 100$ a day depending on your choises (and bothering for looking a cheap place). I'de say 10$-20$ a day for eveything is pretty reasonable living (not AC rooms probably). (also varies with seasons).

Viz should be around 25m. I was in Dahab last May or June and the water temp was around 24c. There were ample of freediving buddies - from residents to europeans droping by for training.

The residents I know of are Roland (Immerlustig on db) and Lotta Ericson.

All of my freediving was shore diving, there are a few walls, the famous blue hole, and some sloaps as well.
A coral reservation in the Caribieans would probably offer more marine life but I don't think one can regert getting all the way to dahab. :)

PS: let us know before you're coming, maybe we'll have the chance to dive. :)

Very interesting... I am from Paris and I have already been to Hurghada...

Are there direct flights Paris - Dahab ?

I don't think that there are direct flights to Dahab from anywhere. But there's an airport in Sharm which is ~2 hours ride from dahab.
I wouldn't know which flights go there ofcoruse.

Last edited:
Michael,

You are right - there are no direct flights to Dahab - you have to fly into Sharm and then get a transfer from there.

Thanks... I am planning to organize a freediving trip for 5-6 people to Dahab....

thanks for your tips (planes, hotels,...)

Erik said:
Connor, I stayed in Dahab during July '02 and we had a nice hotel on the beach with AC/TV/Breakfast for 20$US/Night. You would easily survive on 40$ US/day, living well, eating well and bringing back some nice souvenirs.
All freedivers should go to Dahab! Now if they'd only let me hunt....
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Things are now cheapers from the time erik was there!! The egyptian pound dropped and you can find a nice hotel room with AC and shower for 10$ a night!!
I think the right person for you to contact is Lotta Ericson!! She and her husband own a great cheap hotel there (Nubia hotel) and they also have a diving and freediving club!
If you do contact her tell her Said says Hi!!!

Dahab is great for diving and for relaxing!

Said

Thanks all, for some fabulous info. Dahab sounds great. It should be a 2006 trip. Right now, I'm getting ready for summer 2005 in the Bahamas.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT