• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Reliable pneumatic 70cm

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

AJB8

Feb 17, 2011
Hi everyone

I'm on the verge of purchasing my first pneumatic speargun, but can't seem to get a good review for one.

Is it because pneumatics are inherently bad? Do they tend to make too much noise and scare fish, or are they just difficult to use?

I can't see the problem myself, in theory at least. I imagine there might be some teething issues. Should i steer away from any brands in particular.

I was looking at cressi sl 70 or mares jet air 70 cm. Open to any suggestions though. I dive both on shallow reefs and offshore.

Thanks!

If I was going to buy one, I'd go for an Omer Airbalete - lovely looking gun!

Most of the Italian rear handle pneumatic guns are virtually identical except for the Omer "Airbalete". All are reliable. If the guns were inherently bad then you would not find all the material written here on this forum. I suggest that you have a read of some of the threads in this section. Mares is one of the major producers, so you cannot go wrong with selecting one of their products, just pick one that suits you and your ability to load it in terms of the length of the gun with the spear tail inserted in the muzzle.

I should add that there is a near identical clone of the Seac Sub "Asso" made in China (Hong Kong). The "Asso" speargun is very much like the original shape of the Mares "Sten" which has itself been revamped a number of times to give it a new look each time. This Chinese manufactured pneumatic gun sells under different names in different places, so you need to be aware of it. "Aqua Gear" is one name from the Chinese manufacturer, Hang Fung Industrial, but I don't know anything about it's reliability. It could be OK, but depends on how well someone put it together at the factory and the level of quality control. As the Italian companies (Mares, Cressi, Omer) have a reputation to keep they will back up their product, although you may never need to take advantage of this service, at least you know it is there.

Last edited:
Indeed I have used Mares Cressi and SEAC with equal measure of success and also found that they are very easy to repair with abundant parts available should you need any, I prefer the Mares Cyrano of all the guns which I own, why it just seems to get me more fish.

Thanks popgun pete, very reassuring. Your point about the difficulty of loading: Are pneumatic loading difficulties comparable to rubber guns of the same length? I have no trouble with my metre long rubber, but was thinking of dropping to a 70cm pneumatic as I'd like to use it on shallow reef and in caves. I'm a bit dubious about going any smaller than this. Should I be? I'll look through the past threads about these topics, thanks for the tip.

that cyrano looks great, polideq. I like the idea of parts being available, but i read that the seacs don't have a shaft holder for when you want to swim with it unloaded. is this a problem? is it easy enough to put one on?

Ive used Cressi SL guns for a fair while, I haven't had any problems with them, like Pete said - much of a muchness apart from the airbalete - the airbalete is a fair bit more money as well.

There are a lot of modifications you can make to the pneumatic guns to make them shoot further, quieter, and with less recoil, there are a lot of threads on here about "mamba kits", "tovarich kits" and other mechanisms.

I like watching the videos (ballistic and fishing) on these pages sometimes, they're in french but I find they give a great representation of the abilities of a well tuned pneumatic.

Les vidéos balistiques et en chasse

I've got a 90cm Omer Airbalete in excellent shape for sale - drop me a pm.
I think it's the best shooting off-the-shelf airgun around - search in up on youtube and you'll see some video with my model.

Thanks popgun pete, very reassuring. Your point about the difficulty of loading: Are pneumatic loading difficulties comparable to rubber guns of the same length? I have no trouble with my metre long rubber, but was thinking of dropping to a 70cm pneumatic as I'd like to use it on shallow reef and in caves. I'm a bit dubious about going any smaller than this. Should I be? I'll look through the past threads about these topics, thanks for the tip.

The loading effort depends on the air pressure in the gun, so you can adjust it to whatever level you want (within certain practical limits), but the more air pressure the faster and further the gun will shoot. Short guns are loaded with the rear handle placed on your thigh, longer guns have the rear handle placed on your foot. Your arm reaches out with the plastic loading handle placed over the speartip to forcefully pull the shaft down into the gun, so at the beginning of loading effort the limb span required is the length of the gun plus the length of the spear. A 70 cm is too long to load off your thigh and just starting to be too short to load off your foot, but the latter is how you do it. You should not have any problems with a 70 cm model, they are an all-purpose gun. The "Medisten" is the Mares version, it has the 13 mm inner barrel, as does the Cressi "SL 70". "Cyrano" and "Sten 11" have 11 mm inner barrels, if you want to shoot more zippy long bodied fish then choose one of these with the faster 7 mm shafts. Heavy scaled reef species that stare at you can be shot with the 13 mm barrels as they deliver a harder hit with the heavier 8 mm shaft used. That is the theory, but I have used such guns interchangeably depending on which gun I took with me. You can miss just as well with both types, so the closer you take your shot the better. That should be the first rule of spearfishing.

For cave or hole work a shorter gun may be more suitable than a 70 cm, such as a "MInisten", or in very close quarters a "Miniministen", but these guns will not be much use in clearer water. They are best when used in poor visibility and close to the bottom and are easier to load quickly due to the short pull required which is closer in to your body. Many spearfishermen end up having at least two guns, a long gun and a short one, for various conditions and prey.

I've got a 90cm Omer Airbalete in excellent shape for sale - drop me a pm.
I think it's the best shooting off-the-shelf airgun around - search in up on youtube and you'll see some video with my model.

I have to agree Fonduest, I like mine allot, it a very easy gun to shoot right out of the box. A fun gun to mod as well.:friday

I would be buying your's at that great price but I finish funding my vintage Nemrod collection.

All the best, Don Paul

I miss my Torpedero.

Stay tuned.... I'll be right back.:)
Sorry I have the tank off of the Pirate ( first gun above the Nemrod Hawaiian Dart.

Cheers, Don Paul

Attachments

• Early Nemrods.jpg
    Early Nemrods.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Mines not there :) - Put a big cylinder on the second one up and you got it.
I also had another one - much more modern. Very short barrel, black grip - also Nemrod.

Beauty collection!

Last edited:
Wow, Don Paul! I was hoping to reach an elegant one gun solution...but your way seems much more fun!:D

Much clearer to me now, thanks popgun pete. just the sort of striaght up the line info it's so hard to find in internet sales pitches.

I should add - I'm in the States -where these things are much more expensive.
The 90 is almost $500 us off the shelf. If you are in europe you can probably get it new for very little more than I could reasonably sell mine.

Wow, Don Paul! I was hoping to reach an elegant one gun solution...but your way seems much more fun!:D

Thirty years of passion, for tools of the golden age of Speardiving.:friday

Cheers, Don Paul

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT