• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Removing pipe from mask?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lawstraljan16

Jul 9, 2012
Quick question. I've noticed that a lot of spearos remove their pipe and hold it when they dive. Any reason for this? Why? How much difference does it make? And how do they not swallow water from the pipe when theyre using it while on the surface if the pipe is just flopping around?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: artiz
personal preference. Sometimes it's just annoying if the snorkel is flopping and some other probably think it will spook fish.
Looks cooler on video too : P

In California, most divers remove the snorkel from their mouths as they start a a dive because they think it will emit bubbles that scare fish.

And as far as I know, most freedive instructional agencies recommend removing it as a safety measure. I think the idea is that if you black out underwater with the snorkel in your mouth, water will have a straight shot into your mouth and lungs. I realize that there is a lot of controversy over that position and other experts disagree, but I believe that its the majority opinion.

I remove mine. Then after I surface from a challenging dive, I do a few hook breaths before placing the snorkel back in my mouth.

I try not to smoke from a pipe when im diving. Its made from glass and will sink : )

I try not to smoke from a pipe when im diving. Its made from glass and will sink : )

Me neither, but I was trying to interpret what I thought he might mean.

Actually, he did say remove it "from mask" and hold it- I guess he means hold it in his hand? I can't imagine that many spearos do that. They need both hands for other things. However, its common to remove the mouth piece from the mouth, while leaving the "pipe" attached to the mask strap.

Yes I meant remove pipe from mask. I always remove the pipe from my mask.

Yes I meant remove pipe from mask. I always remove the pipe from my mask.

I'm not sure that you've cleared that up any. Do you mean not have your snorkel attached to the mask?

Haha sorry for the confusion. My snorkel is attached to my mask, always. I just remove it from my mouth when diving (still attached to mask)

The general opinion is that it's not good practice to keep the snorkel in your mouth when diving, for two main reasons: firstly, in the event of any problem, there is a direct route for the water directly in to your mouth and lungs. Secondly: once you return to the surface you have to forcibly blow air through the snorkel to remove the water, theoretically, this could cause blackout if your O2 is already very low.
I think pure freedivers hold the snorkel (or leave it at the surface) as it can be a bit of a distraction on long dives.

I'm not sure about the "direct route if water to the lungs" argument, unless you guys stick the snorkel down your throat. In the event of a blackout your muscles will not contract but relax, thus snorkel or no snorkel the water will enter throught your mouth since your jaw will no longer be closed...just my 2 cents. I do agree that having to blow out could theoretically cause a blackout though. I think it is just a preference of not having it bang against your head when you go down.

Reactions: artiz
I suppose it's personal preference. I remove my snorkel from my mouth when I dive. My snorkel however is not attached to my mask strap via clip or snorkel loop, I simply push it under the strap so it's pretty stationary when out of my mouth.

I've seen some guys remove it and clip it to their sides:

Last edited by a moderator:
always take your snorkel out of your mouth when your dive. leaving it in sucks: looks crap, increase risk of inhaling water on contractions/bo, not hydrodynamic, cause tension in jaw and makes EQ harder. Enough reasons??? (and I've forgotten a few..)

With a bit of experimentation you'll find you can stay down longer without the snorkel in your mouth. I confess I don't know why that is, but I now always spit out my J-tube when I dive.

Some times blackouts (usually following a samba) can cause the jaw to lock which 'could' cause a flow of water through the snorkel into the lungs also the buddy will have to wrench out the snorkel out of their mouth wasting valuable seconds before they can start the rescue procedure.

Nice video in great vis water with a well practiced snorkle to clip/holder move um? wonder how many snorkles he would of lost in our weedy low vis waters! I can see the logic snorkel out on drop no bubbles no water in lungs if you pass out hopefully.snorkel under strap will stop it moving round or in good clip .But in the real world what do we do?.

I tried spitting it out recently... mainly because I had been advised too by a freediving mate and for the same reasons quoted above... which made sense when I was younger and pushing boundaries.
It always stays in for me... so that I can continue to observe my quarry when surfacing - also being an old bloke my bite isn't what it used to be either so 'in and out' all the time doesn't make much sense.
I also suspect that 'looking cool' in videos may have something to do with this practice... which is OK I suppose as long as it doesn't become a spearfishing fallacy that it must always be done or worse still you're a twit if you don't spit it out?
I met a newish spearo recently who seemed to think you couldn't be a 'real' spearo unless you were 20 meters down, pipe out, £300 camera strapped to head... all whilst carrying a £300 gun... too much youtube for his own good?
Old cliche but its 'Horses for Courses' for me... like snorkels themselves... your personal comfort and personal preference together with considerations regarding your own safety is the best way forward as others here have already advised.

Worth a try though?

Top question lawstraljan16

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly with my personal experience, snorkel out of the mouth seems a lot safer and 'stealthier' too.
I really dont give a damn about how it looks.

Spitting the pipe out before diving doesnt create that bubbly sound and doesnt scare skittish fish away, and removing the pipe completely from the mask while descending seems a lot more stealthier too, as Ive noticed it makes quite a bit of vibrations when decending scaring fish off and also feels anti-hydrodynamic and uncomfortable IMO. And the safety reason alone sound too good to ignore.

I still descend with the pipe attached to the mask but always spit it out of my mouth. Removing the pipe completely might be something I do in calm conditions in the near future, but seems to be a hassle in choppy waters (winter time) and unneeded as the rough/choppy waters hide the 'vibrating' sounds while decending.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Most of my questions are things I already know/ have experienced or im unsure of. But getting to hear other peoples opinions is a great chance to learn some new stuff. No matter how much one knows, you will always learn something new.

Love this forum and its members.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

I find that my snorkel is less hydrodynamic when out of my mouth. I get more turbulence and vibration than if it's in my mouth. But like I said earlier, I find it easier to hold my breath with it out.

Consider making a "loop snorkel" like Ron Smith's... He uploaded a YouTube video with very detailed steps / instructions.

I have the materials, just haven't had the time / motivation yet to get cuttin'/grindin'.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…