• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Replacement pole spear tubing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

defofthecrown

Morone saxatilis
Mar 8, 2003
Hey guys,

I've got an old 7' jbl pole spear that was on my parnets farm. I need a new rubber for the thing and I'm wondering if someone knows the length to use. Is the best bet 3/8" hollow tubing or can I hadle 1/2" if it's longer. What will give the best punch vs. not making me cry like a school girl if I have to hold it for awhile.

If someone had some insight that would be great.

3/8" is standard stuff, but I know people that use bigger. I saw WSB_hunter's pole spear & it's 3/8"... but the hole in the center is tiny.

I say whatever you can handle, go for it. 1/2" may be too big but might be good if you can find a 1/2" with slightly internal hole or 3/8" with larger wall thickness. I know Aaron at norcal carries standard sized pole-spear rubber & Hanapaa carries a bunch of different sizes.

p.s. I'm a wuss - I use standard 3/8"

Defo,
Spearing with a pole (three-prong) is more about finesse than power so 3/8 rubber should be fine. I'm a wuss too. You can always power up or make the rubber shorter. The only thing about going to stronger rubber is that the pole tends to bow out if it’s very long. To counter this, as you cock the pole back give it a couple of twists so that it wraps around the pole in a spiral. This keeps it from bowing out and also puts a little spin into it as you release it, kinda like the way a rifled barrel will put a spin into a bullet.

Gil

Fuzz - waddup cuz? I been busy...:D

Reactions: AlexbeeintheUK
On a 6' pole I use about 24" of 3/8" plus about a 10" nylon line for securing to the spear. Although I prefer the 1/2" tubing because it can be pulled with more force before reaching the end of its elasticity. Gilbert G is right on about twisting the band as you pull it up the spear, and there is a 3rd benefit to doing it=> a little friction is created between band and pole which makes it easier to hold under tension.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT