• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Replacement shafts for Cressi Comanche

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rford150

May 18, 2010
Hey Everyone,

I just got my Cressi Sub Comanche 90 and I am giving it a good look over. I'm not liking the shaft it came with and was interested if anyone knew of what shafts fit this gun and where I can find them. So far I found that JBL has one or two that say to be compatible but too short in length. The Cressi site shows a Asta Comanche filettate shaft but I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

The cressi comanche 90 uses the standard euro spear. For a 90cm gun this is 130cm long and 6.5mm diameter but most importantly has a notch that matches euro trigger mechanisms. American guns use a different size/shape notch in the spear to match american trigger mech's.

All euro spears made by Cressi, Omer, Beuchat, Immersion etc are interchangable as all use the standard euro notch.

I don't believe you will be able to fit an American spear in the Comanche, not safely anyway. So you need to find a supplier of euro spears from any of the above mentioned manufactures. I would stick with the 130cm x 6.5 mm spear as most euro guns are very sensitive to this. Fit the wrong size spear and accuracy goes out the window. Similarly stick to the one 16mm or 18mm diameter band.

Dave.

Thanks, Dave. I've been looking at the Deeper Blue Store, Leisure Pro, Joe Diver, and Dive-in. Do you recommend any stores? There is one near me in Mandeville, LA but they are a bit pricey.

One more question...Am I looking for a Tahitian Spear?

Octopus...how do you handle the currency exchange with SubProf?

If you want to go for Cressi, there is choice of conic and triangular tip.
Spears

I have both types for different sized guns and I do not think there is big deal of difference, if any. Unless you often hit the rocks with the spear and need to sharpen it, go for whichever pleases you aesthetically.

I pay by CC, so my bank handles currency exchange.
My CC provider does not charge me for foreign transactions and their exchange rates are as bad as of any other bank.

Be careful not to fall into shopping frenzy trap - I always buy bands as well. :head

Edit: Sorry, I have just noticed that you do not like Cressi shaft that you currently have. If you tell us exactly why you do not like it, perhaps we can help you find an alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just didn't like the shaft it came with. I'm not past trying another Cressi shaft. Then again, I still need to get some trigger time in on the new gun. I'll be starting off with catfish in Louisiana and then I'll be hitting the reefs in Belize. Do you know the spearfishing regs there? I've done a ton a research and little results. I appreciate all your help.

tahitian just refers to wether the flopper is on the top or bottom

As you say but that is only part of the story. 20+ years ago "normal" speargun spears used to be 7 or 8mm thick, made of steel usually zinc coated and have a screw on double barb (flopper) head.

The tahitian spear when it came into use was a revelation. Firstly it was much thinner usually 6 or 6.5mm thick and with a single barb (flopper) permanently riveted to the spear. The material it was made from was also superior being high carbon (spring) steel or stainless. Collectively we called this type of new spear a Tihitian or Hawain spear. Now a days spears like this are the standard and hawain/tahitian just refers to whether the flopper is on top or underneath.

The commanche 90 will only work well with a 130cm x 6.5mm shaft and a single 16mm or single 18mm band. Set up like this it is a great gun. Change this set up and it'll be a piece of sh*t.

Dave.

Last edited:
Being it is my first gun to own, I had intended to use it as it came. I appreciate the info on spear types. Very helpful. However, I have had a difficult time finding threaded shafts. I'm going to stick to the Tahitian/Hawaiian shafts until I can find a good one. Great info, thanks.

I am reviving this thread.
I have a Comanche 90cm and I was trying to make some modification including getting a shaft with a stopper so I can rig it with a loop slide ring....
Any idea if I can find that shaft.

thanks.

I have the same speargun. For $56.32 ($37.44 plus $18.88 shipping), I ordered two Coralign Tahitian Spear 6.5 mm Heat Treated Inox 17 / 7 Ph shafts from scubastore.com (http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-div...r-6.5-mm-heat-treated-inox-17---7-ph/618039/p) and they fit like the original. Scubastore.com has some cheaper shafts but I was trying to get something close to the original shaft. I lost the original shaft because the crimp on the line wasn't crimped tight enough where it attaches near the muzzle and the shaft came off. It was a short fishing day that day. So, check the crimps.

I also had a very hard time reloading this gun (this is my first speargun). But, I bought a bungee cord and now it is so easy to reload, because now I can lock the shaft in and then wrap the line around the rear line holder. Also, I had a hard time getting the shaft to lock in place, but I discovered that if I flick the trigger (press and release quickly), then the shaft will lock in.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT