• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rescued AB Biller 48 special

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Louis Gutschenritter

Apr 30, 2015
Hi All!

I live in Steamboat Springs, Colorado and recently rescued this AB Biller Spear gun propped up next to a dumpster. I am just an intermediate spearo and have a Wettie spear gun and a Mako breakdown pole spear that I bring with me on Sailing trips to the Caribbean. I don't have much experience with rigging, so I was hoping that some of you could point me in the right direction so I can get this thing back in the water.

I am not sure what model this is/ what kind of wood it is made of. It looks like all types of this length take 2 bands, so I am planning to buy 2 of the 22" bands through the AB Biller website. Is that the best option, or is there a better 3rd party option somewhere else? I was going to buy their recommended shock cord as well. The shaft has three notches, but I assume that is just to provide options on band tightness/power?

In the last photo I attached, there is a 3 inch long, hollow, black plastic tube attached to the gun just infront of the handle/trigger assembly. Any idea what this is for? extra shaft holder? I could not find any infomation on the website.

Lastly, the tip has been snapped off and so there are no longer any threads. I am thinking I will buy a tip with a flapper and have a welder buddy weld it to the shaft. Does that seem reasonable for a quick/cheap fix? Or would it be better to rethread the end of the shaft? What thread pitch are these shafts?

Any advice on how to get this thing seaworthy again would be greatly appreciated! Any other recommended add ons would be great as well.

Thanks,
Louis

Attachments

• Speargun1.jpg
    Speargun1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 325
  • Speargun2.jpg
    Speargun2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 331
  • Speargun3.jpg
    Speargun3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 310
  • Speargun4.jpg
    Speargun4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 341
  • Speargun5.jpg
    Speargun5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 299
The spear should be threaded with a 5/16" NF screw thread to accept a similar threaded screw on tip. That black tube on the side is a spare spear shaft holder. Biller guns are named after their length, so buy the Biller bands for it. You can download the AB Biller catalog from here.
If you want to go metric then use a 6 mm thread on the spear as Biller has a number of tips in that size.

Last edited:
Great thanks! I have ordered all of the stuff you mentioned. Ill probably take the shaft holder off for now. Excited to try in out in the Los Barrilles area next month.

Thanks,
Louis

Don't forget the muzzle centralizing washer and line slide, I just noticed they are not on your shaft.

Don't forget the muzzle centralizing washer and line slide, I just noticed they are not on your shaft.
Thanks. I have purchased The small springlike piece that I believe is used to attach the shock cord to the shaft and the gun. I will look into the muzzle centralizing washer. What is its purpose?

The hole in the muzzle is larger than the shaft diameter in order to let the ears on the shaft tail through that serve as stops for the line slide. The spear is then held centralized by that washer which has a step on the back of it that fits snugly in the muzzle opening.
Ocean Rhino et al 2.JPG

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT