• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Research Study

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

The Fury

Sultan of swim
Feb 1, 2002
Greetings fellow Freedivers,

I am performing a research study on the effects of Sodium Bicarbonate on Breath-Hold time in Freedivers.
In other sports, much research has been carried out into the effects of substances on performance and many have been banned for ethical and safety reasons. There is no such research with regard to Freediving.
I am looking for people willing to participate as subjects.
Testing takes place at Luton university on two seperate occasions one week apart and sessions can be arranged to suit your schedule.
You do not have to be a competitive Freediver but should be able to hold your breath for a reasonable amount of time i.e. greater than one and a half minutes.

If you are interested and would like to find out more or wish to take part, I would love to hear from you.

Hamish Haughey.

Haha mate I'd love to help, but I'm stuck in Aus... if there's anything I can do over here, fire away, send me a PM :)

Bonjour, one and all!

I realise this it's been a long time since the last post to this thread, but I just thought I would let all interested parties know that a publication has been made based upon this research.

Thanks to all who participated.

Effects of sodium bicarbonate on voluntary face immersion breath-hold times.

The general gist of it all is that ingesting NaHCO2 prior to a breathold is probably dangerous as it seems to delay the urge to breathe but would not delay a blackout incident.

More research is recommended.

Reactions: DeepThought
Bonjour, one and all!

I realise this it's been a long time since the last post to this thread, but I just thought I would let all interested parties know that a publication has been made based upon this research.

Thanks to all who participated.

Effects of sodium bicarbonate on voluntary face immersion breath-hold times.

The general gist of it all is that ingesting NaHCO2 prior to a breathold is probably dangerous as it seems to delay the urge to breathe but would not delay a blackout incident.

More research is recommended.

Hamish,

I have read the abstract of you study. Did you have the chance to measure the blood pH before and after the breath-holds? What was the time interval between the ingestion of the solution and the excercise? I suppose it was 2 hours as it was in other studies? Did you come up with a proposed mechanism according to which sodium bicarbonate causes this effect? I would suppose that it could be probably attributed to the increased buffering cababilities of plasma? It would be interesting to know a little more about your findings. It6 would also be nice to see its effects on elite apnea divers who are mostly dependent on Oxygen levels to resume breathing rather than CO2.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT