• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

RIB/SIB console design for spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Guffer

Sep 2, 2015
I have been designing this in my mind for the last few months so I decided to put it to 'paper' (in this case sketchup) I wanted a console for my 3.3m SIB which has a outboard upgrade on the way to a 15hp 2S mariner. The console needed a way of not only providing storage space for general boating gear but also for spearguns in a way that kept them safe from puncturing skin and tube. The hole at the back is where the fuel tank sits strapped to the solid floor and the sides feature a panel which opens and closes to secure the guns which will go on racks. My estimate is for up to 6 guns in total.

The outline of the tubes are guestimated but pretty accurate from eyeballing it with cardboard templates. Seating space looks a comfy 2 to a cosy 3 on the console and one sitting up front. The 15hp will certainly help when taking a group of 4 out where my current 5hp struggled a lot earlier this year. The base and top sides are going to be made from 9mm ply, the sides and panels will be 4mm. All of it will be glassed with epoxy and bi-axial fibreglass. The internals will feature 4mm ribs which will be glassed in. From my experience of making boats from ply this will be light and very strong (Well it has to be to accomodate me)

The top will have holes to access inside and a separate board will sit on top which will have the seating cushion. I am also thinking of an insulated ice well for keeping fish fresh and water cold. I reckon that it will weigh around 30kg (dry) once complete. A small A frame off the transom will finish it off with lights, flag mount and radio antenna. Oh and I will be bolting it through the floor glassing 8 M16 nuts to the underside of the floor which will bolt through the base. This is so that I can remove the console should I wish (although I cannot think of a reason why I would)

I will be rounding off a lot of the corners, it's just not that easy in sketchup. H(seat): 500mm, H(top): 850mm W(base): 450mm W(Top): 350mm L:1580mm What are the thoughts of the masses? Anything I may have missed or not thought of?

Another idea for gun storage is build it vertical. boxes in the bottom for the butts with a slot for the trigger handle, bungee accross the top plate that has recesses for the gun barrels, short piece of round pvc pipe with top to slip over the business end of the spear. Starboard works great but is heavy, ply will get pretty beat up, but it's lighter.

General thought, that is a lot of weight for a 15 hp. Get the biggest diameter, lowest pitch prop you can find to maximize torque.

That's a good idea for the vertical storage. I also had one using 2 pieces of large guttering with a hinge on the long edge and end pieces to make a tube. It could be suspended on the a frame or on top of one of the tubes.

I think the weight will be OK. I am not small for starters and most of the time I envisage being either on my own or with 1 other. A 3.3m SIB with a 15hp will definitely plane, maybe even with 3 on board. The console will come out at about 30kg so I am not concerned about that.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT