• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Riffe Competitor 2xs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rstyh00k

Aug 28, 2010
Hey their fellows, so i started freedive/spearfishing august of 2010 and stopped after couple months. I was using a jbl pole spear, and got my self an Immersion gun without knowing anything about it, and it SUCKED! so i kept using my pole spear and got really good at it, and on my 16th bday, i was suprised with a Riffe 2xs and i love it! sadly took it out only once cause i don't got any dive buddys, just my dad who scuba dives cause i got him into the sport, and because hes not really that "fit" he can't do it as much. So my question is, i have a 100ft riffe float line, 1) how do i connect it to the back of the gun??? i put a rope thru the back of the whole in the gun and basicaly made a loop, and i connect the float line to that...idk if thts safe. 2) if i connect the end of the float line to a boat bumper bouy will i be able to take a idk 50pound wsb? ...SO lost.. thanks you guys

Yeah just tie that loop really good and tight on the back of the gun through that hole and you should be ok. If your boat bumper is small that may be a problem with a 50lb fish. How long and how wide is it?

I had a Riffe competitor 3x (wish I did not sell it) and it was a great gun.
Your 2x should serve you well. To bad your not in my neck of the woods,if you were I would take you out spearing!

yea its really tight, n my boat bumber is not small its like the original sized big ones, i was thinking if i should just tie 2 boat bumpers together, n connect float line to it. i also have a body board but i dnt think tht`ll do :). and thanks, i havnt gone for 3 months dads been at lebanon n just came back last month. n non of my friends like the sport n don`t really care, so im stuck haha, i was thinking if i just go alone
Posted via Mobile Device

If its one of those original sized ones I think you should be ok. A big help in your case is that 100 foot float line, you can use it to tire a big fish out.

Probably about half of my dives are done alone, friends are busy, takes to much time,ect ect.
I would advice you to still dive, but don't go out to where every pro is going(they all started slowly), stay close to shore and dont push anything. And slowly as your skills will build you can move out more.

Have fun!

Thanks alot :), what should i be caution or like watch out for if i start going alone..N like what if i just like get this fear of bein alone in water ny tips
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha I had that fear a lot when I first started. Diving solo can be a bit freaky ''with sharks in mind'', so try not to get yourself really isolated from humanity. Dive in areas where there is quicker access to land and places out of the water. A kayak could be really handy for you. It's a floating access point!

The other danger is blacking-out when freediving, dont push yourself. I.e. Say you shoot a fish and it gets tangled in kelp down at 20 feet dont try and shoot-untangle-surface with fish all in one dive. I think you know what I mean.

Have a SHARP knife on your belt that is capable of cutting through your shooting line in say at least half your breathhold time.

Well thats what comes to mind.
Best thing is to find a good dive buddy but that can be hard to find sometimes.

Let me know how your dive goes. Isn't it cold there now?

Thanks, i don't have a kayak, but i gota dingie =D but again thanks for the info helped me alot

a riffe 2xs is kinda small for 50lb fish. it is certainly possible to use it , but shot placement is going to be key. go for a kill shot. from the top is better with smaller thinner spears, that way when you are fighting the fish, the spear tends to get bent less. a slip tip would help, but i dont think a 2x has enough band stretch to fully penetrate a large fish-fully (thus allowing the flopper or slip tip to deploy) if you shoot a big fish with an under powered speargun, 90% of the time, it will put a hole in the fish, but they will just pull off and swim away wounded- (maybe to die later?) it sounds as if you have only a small amount of experience. i have been doing this for a long time,and i can tell you that shooting a 50# fish can be dangerous. you should start out with 10 to 15lb fish for a while and get use to your rig and not getting tangled up in your line. if you are diving in cali, this can be especially dangerous with the kelp right? i have never even seen kelp, but i have been tangled up in line numerous times. a couple of close calls even, so be careful bro!

thanks, yea im going to start with 10-15 step by step. Ha kelp is everywhere here :p havn't gotten tangled YET and hopefully i don't :) THANKS

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT