• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Riffe Hybrid Gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

seaman

Aug 3, 2005
To all the American speargun lovers, those are some pictures of an ol' Hybrid gun created by the former Joe Riffe (brother to Jay Riffe) before his passing. The man in the picture is Toto niño de Rivera, a well known local diver and friend to jay and Joe. The gun is ballasted and it acommodates four 5/8 bands. It's an open track though, the trigger mech is Riffe and the hand grip is custom made out of fiberglass .. behold and enjoy!!!

Last edited:
I need help here guys, i cant post any pictures in this darn thread!! i click and double click the darn attachment icon and nothing happens!!!!:rcard :rcard :rcard :rcard

seaman said:
I need help here guys, i cant post any pictures in this darn thread!! i click and double click the darn attachment icon and nothing happens!!!!:rcard :rcard :rcard :rcard

As a short term solution, you are welcome to send it to the email address at the bottom of this post and I'll see if I can post it.

Reactions: Oldsarge
another try , and here we go

Attachments

• 100_2166.JPG
    100_2166.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 287
  • 100_2167.JPG
    100_2167.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 276
Wow, that's a stout gun. I bet it could handle more than those four 5/8 bands with no recoil problems at all.

Thank's Bill, here is another one ...

Attachments

• 100_2168.JPG
    100_2168.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 278
Bill McIntyre said:
Wow, that's a stout gun. I bet it could handle more than those four 5/8 bands with no recoil problems at all.

And the guy holding this beauty has landed everything ranging from huge permit to a sailfish last month .. i think in this case is the indian, but also is an amazing arrow :) i have not had the opportunnity to shoot it, but he says that tracks better than the other Riffe guns that he owns ...

Last edited:
Seaman! How long ago do you think he built that gun?1980s ,1970s.Have you met Dale from gone to Baja tours ?,The reason I ask is your in Baja and I wanted to go down there last year but couldn't make it .Thanks for the pics .

The gun was made in the late 70`s or early 80`s. It`s pretty ol`but still kickin`. When you come down here send me a P.M and i would steer your way up to the best tours available, say, Andrea Tomba, Toto or EL Cortez club ...

I know Dale from the forums, he is such a gentleman and commited spearo, by the way, let me know if you need something from around this side of the Ocean...

Buenas Fotos Ese

thanks for sharing those pics.

how is everything down there???

Saludos

Carlos

I bet that's one that will have to be pried from his cold, dead fingers, as the saying goes. Very innnnnteresting! Wonder if Jay could be persuaded to revive the design . . .

Pocoshower said:
Buenas Fotos Ese

thanks for sharing those pics.

how is everything down there???

Saludos

Carlos

Thank you man, Todo bien por acà, a lot of things to do though. Looking forward to see you soon ..

Oldsarge said:
I bet that's one that will have to be pried from his cold, dead fingers, as the saying goes. Very innnnnteresting! Wonder if Jay could be persuaded to revive the design . . .

That would be a great idea. The hybrid design has prove its worth with the time. The owner of the gun uses it as his primary gun, that`s his way to honour Joe and Jay i guess, if that gun would be mine (and i am so speargun greedy) i would have it in display, that would be a shame, so i guess is at its best in the hands of a better spearo.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT