• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Riffe Metel Tech vs Teak

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

brijamelsh

Jun 14, 2005
Hey everyone, I am curious as to what information you might have to contribute to a comparison between the Riffe Metal Tech and their teak guns. Riffe claims the gun is as silent as its teak counterparts but i am having a hard time believing this. Also what is maintenance like and how does it compare to the teak guns. What about strength? How does muzzle streangth compare to the teak? Lastly, how does power, recoil compare?

The MT shaft rides on a plastic grove so there is no metal to metal. The whole silent thing about spearguns is really a bunch of bull made by speargun manufactures to distinguish their guns from others. :mad: Fish are startled by movement or sounds. Stretch three bands and let them go as well as hurl a 3/8” or 5/16” piece of metal at 60 mph through the water and the fish are going to be startled!

What the wood gives, besides aesthetics, is damping from the recoil. Wood guns have a nice feel when the trigger is pulled. What the MT can have that the wood Riffes don’t is an enclosed track if using a 5/16” or 9/32” shaft.

Strength wise, the MT stock can handle as many bands as your wrists and body are willing to take. The stock plastic muzzle can handle three 5/8” or four 9/16” size wise. Strength wise, it can probably handle more since the direction of the force is just pushing the muzzle into the stock. I made up some bands with wisebones on both ends and put six bands on my MT once. That was back when we had this power hungry Indonesia named IyaDiver on the board who was encouraging me to use a lot of bands. The recoil was terrible as well as the accuracy. There is an aluminum muzzle accessory from Riffe for the MTs that will allow up to 6 5/8” bands. Wings can be added to all Riffes to help with recoil.

All the parts are pretty much the same on Riffes. Any wood gun takes more maintenance than aluminum. Personally I already have to maintain an offshore boat, three kids, and a wife so I vote for the MT. I have a lot of experience with both the woods and the MT’s and I think the MT with an enclosed track and a 5/16” shaft is a better deal, at least for me.
don
:)

Last edited:
Is their a problem with the MT rusting? And in regards to the enclosed track, is it possible to use an enclosed track while lineshafting? i dont see how the shaft and the line can fit down the groove if its enclosed.

Don

How about balance is the metal one as balance as the teak also does it float without the shaft.
Which one requires less effort to move in the water (comparing two middle handle guns).

MT 0 - 2 sink without shaft
Supposedly 3-4 are neutral without shaft and 5 floats. I have a #1 and it for sure sinks. Compared to my teak gun, I think the teak moves better in the water, but they are different sizes. The teak is less mass, so I think this is probably the case.

#3 Sink without the shaft, the wings are a most on Riffe MT.
MT are maintanence free, heavy and kick like a mule, keep your mouth away.

Brijamelsh,
Riffe has done an excellent job making the MT corrosive resistance. I live in one of the worst places for saltwater corrosion in the U.S. and I have friends with MT that are 7 years old and they are still going strong. I’m the Comptroller for a metal inspection company and Riffe does it right. The aluminum is anodized and all stainless is isolated from the aluminum to prevent galvanic corrosion.

Yes it is possible to use the enclosed track while line shafting. All my MT’s are setup this way. Only problem I ever had was once a crimp on the line where it attaches to the shaft starting gouging into the plastic top outside of the enclosed track, which made it shoot inaccurate. I solved it by putting a plastic heat shrink tube over the crimp. With the enclosed track you don’t have to make the line go over the “Front Line Plate Guide” on the muzzle anymore, so you can take it off if you want. This takes the sharpest kink out of the line.

Strangelove, the Teak Mid Handle, handle is a little further away from the butt, which means it’s a little bit more of a mid-handle, but the MT is still a true mid-handle with the shear located behind the handle so you get more shaft travel and band stretch distance than a rear handle gun or a gun with a loading extension like JBL. I would say that the teak gun feels a little better, but not much better than a MT with plastic muzzle.

The aluminum muzzle makes a MT front heavy and feels out of balance to me. I hate big front wings that the aluminum muzzle needs for buoyancy to make the gun balanced in the water. The front wings will make the gun shoot nice, but I can’t live with the loss in swinging ability. Might be okay for a scuba diver, but I would rather get my power from a longer gun that moves through the water easy than a short one with many bands and wings.

The negative buoyancy/positive buoyancy thing of the smaller MT with shaft in or shaft out is a concern if you are free shafting or if your using a float line and a breakaway setup. I like to attach my float line directly to the gun so I can leave the gun and swim freely back to the surface if needed (such as in shooting a large fish or one at depth). The closest I have ever come to saving someone yet, was last year when my partner speared a cobia at 80 feet down and his breakaway hung up. It took him about 30 seconds and a lot of moving to get it free. He was on the edge of consciousness when he finally made it to the surface.

The only positive I can see to using a breakaway is that if you have a shark problem you at least still have the gun to push the shark off with, but the chance of this being an issue is small because a shark should be a lot more interested in the fish you speared than you anyway. Being able to separate yourself from the fish is the important thing.

I have a MT 1, 2, & 4. The 1 & 2 are only used by the wife and kids or when my 4 breaks. I liked the 1 & 2 in the first few years of freediving, but once my skill picked up I found I could do almost anything with my 4 that I could do with the 1 & 2, plus a whole lot more.

A friend and a good place to buy Riffe’s is Matt at http://www.spearfishinggear.com/ . If you’re looking for the best prices on the internet, be sure to check what is included with the gun. A member of our club recently purchased from another place, but later found out that Matt’s price included some items he had to purchase separate so Matt’s price was better. Matt is also very good at helping you setup your gun for your conditions. I recommend calling him on the phone when ordering so you can get his free knowledge.
don

Last edited:
HI i would just like to say that i would go the MT because it is less maintenance and i know what frustration teak can give you. by the way please reply to my post under new posts; i could really use the help.
Hypersquid1

I would never buy a gun that is negative without shaft , that would not fit the type of diving I am used to.

Here is my view.

heavy and kick like a mule
I was thinking about this statement and one reason I think MT’s have a reputation for being heavy is Riffe only put foam in the ends of the older MT’s. Thus most older MT’s, unless the owner drained them and filled them with 2-part foam, are full of water. Although when they are full of water there is less recoil, so I don’t know about the kicking statement.

I find the recoil to nil with 3 9/16 bands. 3 5/8 bands or 4 9/16 and it starts to get annoying. My friend is always making and changing the wings on his and his latest are narrow long wings about ½” narrower than Riffe’s Teak ballast kit. He is real anti-recoil conscious because of a few shoulder dislocations he suffered when he used to ride bulls. I have shot his gun with 4 9/16 bands and there is little recoil. He has tried several wing configurations and likes this one the best because it causes little swing and drag resistance.
don

Last edited:
i was just saying that i would try to stay away from the teak and mohagony because it can be damaged and scratched frequently. i dont know about spearguns, but on a boat teak and mohogany has to be sanded, stripped and repainted each year or is your dont use your boat (unlike me) then maybe every 2 years. i think that a metal gun would be maintenance free. if i had a metal gun and it got scratched i wouldnt really mind it. if i had a wood gun then thats a whole different story. i dont know much about spearguns but that is my view.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT