• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Riffe mid handle No ka oi

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cesare

Mar 20, 2006
Recently a friend gave me a riffe mid handle no ka oi, I usually spearfish around reefs, rocks and ledges. I was using a jbl custom and a jbl 38 special NW, that worked fine, (the second one as my first option). Now I have this "monster" and I was wondering if its worth it to use it around the reefs and rocks.

greetings

Great improvement man, congrats ! No ka Oi Cool name by the way! show some pics of your first catch.

Someone gave you a No ka Oi? Whadja do? Bail him outa jail? (The following series of badly off-color questions were deleted by the author's better judgement) ??? Whoa, man. Go huntin' something BIG.

I think its worth the use around the reefs, you could always adjust the power by the number of bands, it wont be too long, since its a midhandle. but back to the main point, "what did you do in return for this great gift"?

If I'm not mistaken thats Riffe's most popular mid-handle (maybe gun period!)
Congrats!

thats a very nice gun but i think maybe a little too much for around the reef, maybe the outer reef but don't worry about it just get out there and try it, not every day somebody just gives you something like that.

Steve

thank´s mates, actually it gave it to me my uncle who never used it, I´ll my best shot. Not great fan of blue water spearfishing though, but still i´ll see how well goes in the reef.

best wishes

Hi Cesare...

I own that same gun and it's sweeeet :) !! You'll love it, but to use it in the reef make yourself a favor... Buy a thin shaft (hawaian flopper tip), and use only 2 bands (load it in the first slot)... You'll get an sniper accurate,very mild recoil and a true silent killer gun:martial . And if some day you want to hit the blue, just add one or 2 more bands and a 7 or 8 mm shaft and you're done.

Congrats on your new toy!
Luis.

thanks so much for the advice Luis....do you mean to change to like a tahitian shaft...are you sure that can handle that power?...I would be glad to here too that in the case that something big would appear the two bands could do with it...

thanks again

Should I keep the 5/16 diameter of the shaft...or possibly change it to a 9/32

greets

Change the shaft to a 9/32 hawiian shaft and use 2x16mm power bands. That will be plenty for the reef and you won't blow holes in your fish either

thanks a lot dan man....but are u sure that its fine to put a thinner shaft...the rail is made for the 5/16 dia shaft.

regards

Hi cesare...

Dan man is right,:) a 9/32 hawaian flopper is my choice too (If you like the Thaitian tip, it's fine too, just don't buy any fancy tip because it will be frecuently hitted against the rocks:head ) and you'll not have any problem if something a bit bigger than usual appears in the water within your reach.

Last time I shot a big parrot fish (it was about 15 pounds or 7 kilos) it was maybe 12 feet away and with my thin shaft and 2 bands (16 mm) it passed thru the head and body EASILY:ko , I´m sure that even a 10 pounds heavier fish would be stoned with that combo (No kai-9/32 hawiian shaft/ 2x16mm bands).

Just have faith in that great piece of gun:martial !
Best regards and hit the water as soon as possible!:)

wow...i guess that raises my estime on the gun...thanks so much...but one last doubt its original bands are 9/16" x 26" i havent heard of a 2 x 16 mm power bands...i would be glad to have an answer...

thanks again...and best regards

9/16" is about 14mm in metric, 5/8" is about 16mm in metric. So you have 14mm bands that are 26" long.

When we say 2x16mm its just 2 l sets of bands :p

oh ok...well thank you guys a lot...actually i think i wont go hunting in a while...my soccer games are in the weekends and school gives a lot of work in this season...but if I go I will keep you reported...thanks again and best wishes...

ps: Luis write if you catch something big with the no ka oi...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT