• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Riffe spearguns Vs Jbl spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ChaseJ

Jul 17, 2016
I'm stuck deciding between to guns I will be hunting saltwater going for reef fish like snapper and grouper and blue water mahi mahi high visibility water very clear the two guns in deciding between is the riffe mahogany competitor 1 or the Jbl 38 special woody both are in my local dive shop and about the same price point the riffe is like $30 more please help me pros and cons do you own them and which would you recommend.

You might also consider a MAKO speargun. Probably a 120 cm gun would be best. Our Oceanic gun has an enclosed track which makes loading the shaft fast and simple and prevents any shaft whip. The gun shoots where you point it.

We have all stainless trigger, sear and line release, a 3-yr unlimited warranty and we use the best carbon steel shafts available- harder and stiffer than what is used on either of the guns you mentioned.

Since we sell direct, with no retail stores- we have eliminated the middle man at the retail level and pass on the savings to you. Our guns are made to your specifications, on the day you order it - all bands are hand tied (when ordered) so they are as fresh as possible. (free shipping too).

Do a little research and if you have any questions, we are always happy to provide one on one guidance. Give us a call during normal business hours if you have any questions.

http://www.makospearguns.com/the-mako-direct-story-a/292.htm

Reactions: Mr. X
You might also consider a MAKO speargun. Probably a 120 cm gun would be best. Our Oceanic gun has an enclosed track which makes loading the shaft fast and simple and prevents any shaft whip. The gun shoots where you point it.

We have all stainless trigger, sear and line release, a 3-yr unlimited warranty and we use the best carbon steel shafts available- harder and stiffer than what is used on either of the guns you mentioned.

Since we sell direct, with no retail stores- we have eliminated the middle man at the retail level and pass on the savings to you. Our guns are made to your specifications, on the day you order it - all bands are hand tied (when ordered) so they are as fresh as possible. (free shipping too).

Do a little research and if you have any questions, we are always happy to provide one on one guidance. Give us a call during normal business hours if you have any questions.

I was look at a 90cm mako pro 3rd generation but the handle is so close to the loading pad.

Also I'm getting a discount going to my local dive shop.

Neither of those guns you mentioned is anywhere near long enough for Mahi in blue water, and probably not very useful for grouper and snapper either. You may save money up front, but you are going to end up spending more later.

Reactions: Mr. X
I was look at a 90cm mako pro 3rd generation but the handle is so close to the loading pad.

Our guns are euro type guns which means you need to chest load them - so you do not need a long butt extension behind the trigger.

A butt extension, allows the diver to hip load the gun, but it also makes the gun longer and does not add any addiional power or rannge.

A 90 cm is good for shooting into holes etc, and it is definitely strong enough to take large grouper, but it does not have the range necessary to hunt spooky fish in clear water. Minimum length for your area would be 110 - with 120 being more common choice.

A video on how to load a gun with the chest load menthod:

I'm stuck deciding between to guns I will be hunting saltwater going for reef fish like snapper and grouper and blue water mahi mahi high visibility water very clear the two guns in deciding between is the riffe mahogany competitor 1 or the Jbl 38 special woody both are in my local dive shop and about the same price point the riffe is like $30 more please help me pros and cons do you own them and which would you recommend.
I get the impression that Riffe sell a higher end product but for a set price you might get more from a lesser brand. Compare them up close and in detail if you can, I suspect one will be of noticeably better design/quality/construction than the other. Handling a speargun can really make all the difference in decision making. I believe Bill uses & prefers Daryl Wong spearguns (over Riffe), they would be a significant step up again, in quality and no doubt price.

Re. length & model, Bill & Dano likely have a better idea of the conditions you describe than I have ("high visibility water" - is but a dream here!).

Perhaps the old adage that "any old bike will do to learn on but once you've learnt get a good one" could be relevant here too? Talk to the local (successful) spearos and find out what they use and what they'd recommend for you & your situation.

Last edited:
Definitely not the riffes gun. They warp and the quality of the finish is non existent. Go with JBL or Koah!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
That's just not true. RIFFE's are not my favorite guns but the quality is good and I prefer that oil finish to epoxy.

2310e0812a9e133c15addf5ee97a64df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know a few guys that take pride in the fact that their RIFFE Islands have never seen a drop of oil and look like bleached driftwood , but they aren't warped. Divers have been bringing RIFFEs on my boat for 20 years and I don't here complaints about warping. I guess we live in different worlds.

It occurs to me that we might be talking about different RIFFE models. I never see the smaller versions. The ones brought
on my boat are the Island, the Blue Water Elite, and in the last couple of years the Euros.
No one is reporting problems.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT