• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Riffe Wetsuits - know anything about em?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

unirdna

tropical wuss
Sep 16, 2002
I'm in the market for a new tropical suit. Although I'm leaning toward a custom elios suit, the Riffe has my interest. Mainly, because I plan to place a spearfishinggear order soon, and they carry this suit.

Specs on the website are limited. I posted a q @ Riffe, but it usually takes a while for them to get back.

I like two pieces (because I hate zippers), but do not want a hood. Seems like an ideal situation to mix and match the parts I want.

Anyone ever see/try one of these pups?

suit2_s.jpg

Ted

I live about three miles from his shop and used to go in there a lot before they decided I was the enemy for using a Wong gun, so I've seen the suits. I haven't used the suits, but they seemed like nice things for tropical waters. I was tempted to get one myself for doing quick jumps on kelp paddies floating in the open ocean while we are on the way to the islands. Our water temp approaches 70 on the surface in the summer, and it would be nice not to have to put on the thicker suit when we are only going to be in the water a few minutes anyway.

Reactions: unirdna
I got em?

Aloha, I have the top w/out hood and the long pants over here in Hawaii. I've had them for a few months and they've held threw some reef abrasion (i like to lay on the bottom) with only a couple nicks here & there. The material is strong because everytime I put my top on the little nicks stretch but don't rip, eventually i'll get a silicone repair job done but for now they are solid.

I'm 5'6 and about 160 lbs. medium build so I went for large top & large pants and they fit great. Surface Water Temp. here is average 75d F right now. When summer rolls around i'll probably switch back to just riffe wetsuit top & trunks with lighter weight belt.

Well, hope this helps-ty

website

btw-you can also purchase the diff. combo riffe wetsuits here http://www.bluewaterhunter.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/wetsuits_riffe.html I would call first because I got my top & long pants for cheaper than what they're listed at online, I think I paid $90.00 for the top w/out hood & $80.00 for the pants. That is all without shipping because I live a half mile from the shop-I would call for shipping and who knows they may give a deal....shoots-ty

Reactions: unirdna
Re: website

Bill, Ty,

Thanks for the help. Rep Power coming at the both of yas.

Ty, a few questions... You have the exact combo I am considering.

What materials line the inside/outside of the suit (open cell, gold-core, nylon, etc).
Can you slip it on without using suit lube, or will it pull every hair out?
Does the top seal well against the pants even without a beaver tail?
Does the neck seal tight?
Would you recommend a large or medium for a guy 5'7" 150lbs.

Thanks again, guys.
Ted

Riffe Wetsuits

Ted, tags say 100% nylon, filling material (which is probably the cocking pad on the top and knee pads on the pant) is non fiberous material & neoprene. A one inch soft band goes around the neck and ankles which makes for a sort of elastic type seal. The outside arms of the top are slick but sticky to the skin and there's a four inch strip of the same slick surface on the inside of the waist on the pants which sticks to your skin when on. The waist of the top doesn't have this feature but with weight belt on it creates a seal to your pants which is good enough.
If you get the suits around your ankles and wrists first before you pull it up or put it on you don't need any suit lube.
I tried the med. with both top & pants-too tight. I would recommend Large for both top & pants unless your real skinny and have no muscle. Actually the large didn't have a significant diff. just a little looser around the belly and arms with the top and a little taller for the pants. With pants on the four inch slick strip comes up to the bottom of my pecs I'm 5'6 so a large would probably fit you good-ty

Ted...check out the Omer Dahlik 1 piece...you can get it at spearfishinggear.com

Id hit Mark L up with an email if that was true. Spearfishinggear.com isnt the only game in town:)

Hello Guys!

These arrived last week, there is no backorder on size 4, 5, & 6. These suits are almost 1 full size smaller than labeled. If you have questions on sizing just call. If Mark has 'em, I have 'em as I am only 3 hours from him.

Both suits, the Dahlak & the Riffe are very nice suits. Either way you'll be happy.

Dive Safe!
The Southern Sea Witch
SpearfishingGear.com

Have you note the size charts of Riffe wetsuit is different at avery place they sale it, including the Riffe site , take a look:

M L XL XXL XXXL
HEIGHT (CM) 172-177 175-180 178-183 181-186 187-192
WEIGHT (LB) 148-152 154-158 166-170 172-176 180-184
CHEST (CM) 85-95 92-105 95-109 99-114 103-118
WAIST (CM) 72-80 79-91 82- 94 85-98 88-101
CROTCH (CM) 70-74 72-76 73-77 74-79 79-83

The 3XL is for people of 184 pounds max., that must be wrong........at spearfishinggear.com is totally diferent, as the one of bluewaterhunter.com, is going to be very difficult to sale those suit on line...
Any way check out the www.spearfishinggear.com march madness
sale were you can find some size at $40.00 :)

Just received an e-mail from Jill Riffe where she explained the size chart onrRiffe site was posted wrong, it'll be corrected very soon.

That'll be nice ;). I don't plan to order for a month or so. Still, all this sizing hoohah gives me one more reason to get Matt on the phone rather than posting an online order.

Update.

Ready to buy the suit...

I called spearfishinggear and asked for Matt. The young girl on the phone seemed perplexed, and told me that no one name Matt works there. I asked if he had left recently, and she said no one named Matt had ever worked there. HUH?!? I've spoken to him on several occasions, and he was quite helpful...but, I'm not going to get into a pissing match with this girl, so...

I inquired about the wetsuit regardless (of the fact that she was obviously wrong ;)). I wanted to buy a no-hood top and the pants. But, the hooded top is packaged with the pants, and the no-hood top is packaged with the shorts. She told me very matter-of-fact that they would not sell the items separately, and seemed relieved when I thanked her for her time and told her I would look elsewhere.

I did.

I called Florida Freedivers and spoke to the nicest Aus/SA/UK/USA lady you could imagine. She spent a good 20-30 min on the phone with me talking about sizes and materials, never once becoming impatient with my knitpicky questions. In the end, she had no problem with me mix and matching different parts, and she even let me mix and match sizes. With some discussion, it seemed that my build would do best with a pair of MED trousers and a LARGE top. She was right on and the suit fits perfectly.

I can't wait to try it out in the Bahamas next month!!! I'll post my results when I get back.

This is the suit I'll be using. Ted

ItemLrgPic2A32484.jpg

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT