• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Riviera Italy & France

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ajeje

May 21, 2006
I was spearfishing in Italy and France recently (Ventimiglia, Bordighera, San Remo, Menton), but most of the time there was so much sand in the water I couldn't see anything and when the water was clear, there were no fish except for tiny ones. Anybody familiar with the area so next time I know where to go?

Ajeje

Last edited:

I have been to Bordighera a couple of times and was not impressed either, lots of sand and only tiny fish, although I did manage to take a few large octopus.
When you were there did you experience the big wave:wave in the afternoon at about 16:30?
I now go further down the coast to Levanto, just before you get to the Cinque Terre, and have found some good spots around there, there seems to be less in the way of sand, and with patience have found some decent size fish.

Isn't the Cinque Terre area protected?

In Ventimiglia the mare mosso started even earlier, vision getting worse immediately. Well, I guess next time I'll try France or northern Tuscany.

Ajeje

Last edited:
Ajeje said:
Isn't the Cinque Terre area protected?

In Ventimiglia the mare mosso started even earlier, vision getting worse immediately. Well, I guess next time I'll try France or northern Tuscany.

Ajeje
Yes, unfortunately Cinque Terre marine park became off limits for spearos, but Levanto is still allowed AFAIK.
Tuscany? That's my cup of tea. It's my family homeland, but I wouldn't advise its coast as a spearfishing trip destination: very hard to find decent fish, you must be very lucky and/or very skilled, especially in summer.
Much better are the tuscan islands (Giglio, Elba): Isola del Giglio, in particular, a few miles off the tuscan coast, is a spearfishing Mecca where you can really have fun with amberjacks, barracudas, dentex and everything.
But hurry up: isle Giglio will become too a marine park in the next two or three years! :crutch

If I have to be very skilled and lucky Tuscany won't become my second home, I guess. I only just started, so what I need is more like an aquarium.

Ajeje

Ajeje said:
If I have to be very skilled and lucky Tuscany won't become my second home, I guess. I only just started, so what I need is more like an aquarium.

Ajeje
In the upper mediterranean there are no more aquaria left: too much non-selective fishing, too many boats, too much everything, except fish.
Of course you can still find little good spots somewhere, but forgive me if I dont' specify the locations on an international forum, cause I'm talking about a few little sanctuaries that souldn't be recognized by too many people. I just wish you to find them yourself :t
Ajeje, you are Swiss, arent' you? Why don't you try lake Garda, north of Italy? It's just three hours drive from Switzerland, plenty of fish and spearfishing is legal. September, october, may and june are the best months for our sport up there.

I wouldn't tell people where the good spots are either if I knew them! But thanks for the tip. I saw some pictures on an italian spearfishing website (apneamagazine.com) about the regulations in lake Como, Garda, and Iseo. Sounds ok to me and it's almost in Switzerland, so I might give it a try. But still: it's just not the sea.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…