• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rob Allen 120 Is It Enough

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BOOTSPEARO

Apr 23, 2003
I WAS WOUNDERING IF THE ROB ALLEN RAIL GUN 120 WOULD BE SUFFICIENT ENOUGH FOR MAHI AND ONO HERE IN HAWAII. AND CAN YOU HOOK A BREAKAWAY SYSTEM FOR THIS TYPE OF GUN. IAM PRETTY NEW TO SPEAR FISHING BEEN DOING IT OVER A YEAR AND I HAVE THIS STRONG DESIRE TO GO BLUE WATER. ALSO ONE MORE QUESTION WHAT KIND OF FLOAT CAN YOU RECCOMEND FOR THE MAHI AND ONO. THANKS FOR THE HELP AND ADVICE.

BOOT-SPEARO

Hello and Welcome. Another Big Island diver joins the forum; cool man. A 120 Rob Allen is a big gun. Big enough for Mahi and it will handle an Ono as long as you are rigged properly. Personally I would opt for a bigger gun. I used to have only one gun a 55" Wong, 9/32 tahitian shaft, powered by 3 5/8 mean greens. This gun is deadly accurate but lacks enough range for the Ono. I have hit a few with this gun but have not landed any to date with it. My bigger gun shoots 5 bands, 5/16 shaft and an Alexander slip tip. This has more than enough power. The Rob Allen should have enough range but you should definitely go with a slip tip, breakaway set up. As far as flotation goes, do not opt for an inflatable float. Some may beg to differ but I have seen and heard from other divers hunting Ono that these inflatables are not enough. As soon as they are taken under, they start to collapse. Since you are in Kona, visit Rob at Blue Water Hunter and pick up two 11 liter Rob Allen foam floats. You don't need to worry about collapse with these guys. A standard vinyl float line with parachute chord inside will be do okay but if you got the dough, pick up a bungee. You can go the expensive route of 75 foot or the cheap route of 25 foot attached to a vinyl float line. Again, go see Rob and he will be able to get you what you need. Actually talking to him would be a good idea. The guys is a really good reef and blue water diver. If you got more questions PM me with your phone number and we can discuss more detail; maybe even go shoot some pelagics together.

Brad :martial

Reactions: Mr. X
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

TALK TO YA LATER, HUGH POWELL

Originally posted by w3ac
I used to have only one gun a 55" Wong, 9/32 tahitian shaft, powered by 3 5/8 mean greens. This gun is deadly accurate but lacks enough range for the Ono.

9/32 shaft with 3 5/8 bands and deadly accurate. How?
As i heard from many people 2 5/8 bands are max for that shaft if you want to maintain pinpoint accuracy.Your bands are even more powerfull mean green.Then probably you gun is enclosed track gun (Wong reef 55 inch closed track)

Murat,
My gun is has an open track. I'm not sure why people feel that 3 bands will overpower a 9/32 shaft. I have been using this set up for years. As a matter of fact, two bands on a shaft of this diameter does work but seems slow and lacks punch at range. Opinions vary but this is just mine. The problem with putting this much power on a typical euro is that the triiger mech. usually can't handle this much power, the barrell will start to flex, and most euro guns don't have a full length rail. The absolute most accurate gun I have ever used is a 75cm Escalpez with a single stock green band. The thing had no range but for whatever range it had, it was deadly accurate. Some might disagree but these are just my personal findings.

Reactions: rigdvr
Originally posted by Murat
As i heard from many people 2 5/8 bands are max for that shaft if.....

to each their own...

No offense guys...

Since i have no oportunity to test and see myself, i am trying to learn from you guys who are more experianced than me and have an access to most os the stuff.:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT