• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Roller gun recommendations

drosophila virilis

drosophila virilis

Jul 25, 2022
Hey everyone!

This is my first ever post here, but I've been spearfishing in the Adriatic for about 15 years. Even so, I know basically no one else who does it in person, so I figured I'd try to ask for some advice here.

In short, I'm looking to buy a new roller gun and I am looking for some recommendations. I've been using an Omer Cayman HF 85cm for a long time now, and while it's a great gun, I decided to finally pull the trigger and get a roller. It's been happening far too often that a fish is just out of range and the extra 20-30% range of the roller gun would be decisive. It almost feels like the fish know the range and are taunting me.

I primarily fish in shallow water (bream, bass, mullet and such), so I need a relatively short gun (up to 100cm). It needs to be manoeuvrable enough to be usable while stalking around rocks, but also have enough range to hit a skittish bream. Occasional shots under rocks or into holes are also important. I don't go for large pelagic fish (there aren't any where I fish anyway), so I'm not looking for maximum power to punch through.

I've been looking at Omer's Cayman ET rollers (80-100cm), since I have good experience with Omer in general. However, as I've said, I have no one to ask for feedback! Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Reactions: Mr. X
Mr. X

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I too had a high opinion of Omer esp. their spearguns. I'm told a lot of Omer stuff is now made in the Far East and perhaps (?) not what they were (?).

I recently bought a 95cm roller from Turkish company Apnea, via a UK reseller.Might be a good size for you ;) I haven't used it enough to give you a personal review yet but the quality seems quite good, esp the spear. Good value. I prefer my Omers' larger line release though.

Last edited:
Mr. X

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Btw I have 2 Omer XXVs as my "main squeeze". I admire the Omer Cayman range and would expect the roller to be good, possibly very good.

I liked the look of the older Cayman 3x14mm in 90-110cm size. ;) And the earlier models.

Mr. X

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Rob Allen's roller is reputedly good. He recommends one of the smaller sizes (l forget which, perhaps 100cm or 110cm?) as powerful as longer 130cm double band guns I think they claim. So larger size not required. Very powerful.

I use and like RA gear. I used to use an RA railgun, excellent quality and robustness but a bit over "big" and powerful for my needs at the time. Impressive though.

One of the wooden Italian rollers looks very good, I forget the brand but others may recall if of interest.

M

musubi

Feb 9, 2017
Hey everyone!

This is my first ever post here, but I've been spearfishing in the Adriatic for about 15 years. Even so, I know basically no one else who does it in person, so I figured I'd try to ask for some advice here.

In short, I'm looking to buy a new roller gun and I am looking for some recommendations. I've been using an Omer Cayman HF 85cm for a long time now, and while it's a great gun, I decided to finally pull the trigger and get a roller. It's been happening far too often that a fish is just out of range and the extra 20-30% range of the roller gun would be decisive. It almost feels like the fish know the range and are taunting me.

I primarily fish in shallow water (bream, bass, mullet and such), so I need a relatively short gun (up to 100cm). It needs to be manoeuvrable enough to be usable while stalking around rocks, but also have enough range to hit a skittish bream. Occasional shots under rocks or into holes are also important. I don't go for large pelagic fish (there aren't any where I fish anyway), so I'm not looking for maximum power to punch through.

I've been looking at Omer's Cayman ET rollers (80-100cm), since I have good experience with Omer in general. However, as I've said, I have no one to ask for feedback! Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
If you're looking for a gun that is setup appropriately from the get-go, I'd recommend a roller from Rob Allen's lineup. Not that other companies aren't setup appropriately, but Rob has put a lot of effort in showcasing their efforts into why his guns are made the way they are and that they do shoot accurately. From personal experience, his roller guns do shoot very accurately and with sufficient power, although I haven't measured it.

That said, a roller gun doesn't automatically mean you get extra range or power. It HAS to be setup appropriately. For example, I've shot my friend's 110 cm roller that is a complete dud compared to my 110 cm classic double banded gun. Yes, the rollers have a longer power stroke for its size compared to a similar size classic banded gun, but the extra length of "work" performed by the bands doesn't necessarily make up the difference and more. It can, but it needs to be powered appropriately. One way to tell is to compare the work exerted on the shaft for each gun. This is an apples to apples comparison.

To me, the main benefit of any roller gun is the reduced recoil. And that means a lot for the shooter. I love shooting my roller (inverted) and wouldn't change it for anything.

D

DivingNomad

Sep 21, 2015
I too had a high opinion of Omer esp. their spearguns. I'm told a lot of Omer stuff is now made in the Far East and perhaps (?) not what they were (?).

They are all made in China now (except for their carbon guns I think). Very chintzy and flimsy fish manure. I wouldn't buy their guns again. The line release on their Cayman handle is the worst.

popgun pete

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
If you are shooting under rocks and in holes at times then the simpler the gun the better around the muzzle end. The rollergun can shoot further as it essentially is a longer gun that has been folded and mounts longer bands for its physical overall length, plus the spear is shorter given the length of the bands. They also take slightly longer to load. Of the Italian brands the only one we can be sure is still made in Italy if we are talking the major brands is Salvimar. There are others such as Seatec which have offered a range of shorter rollerguns for many years.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2022 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Spearfishing and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT