• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Roller Spear Gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
The extra meter from 7 to 8 comes from the line length plus the shaft length. This is how i know max ranges on shots i take. I have made a few that pull line from the reel.

Reactions: Mr. X
20200603_145654.jpg

I have an Allemanni 105 Mediterano Double roller. Its a work of art. I use a cheater band to load it. Its very powerful and accurate. I have been chasing fish for 40 years. I dont plan on going back to a regular gun. Its more powerful with a single band than most regular double band guns. I will post some pictures. Take not of how i have my bands tied. Faster loading and no problems with the band pinching/snagfing my gloves. View attachment 56217

This reel is coiled backwards. You'll have a bad time if you shoot a big fish.
It is suposed to loosen the brake when a fish pulls. I recommend you to unspool it and spool it again in the opposite direction. I also see too much line there. You better take off a couple meters to avoid tangles.

Last edited:
This reel is coiled backwards. You'll have a bad time if you shoot a big fish.
It is suposed to loosen the brake when a fish pulls. I recommend you to unspool it and spool it again in the opposite direction. I also see too much line there. You better take off a couple meters to avoid tangles.
I took some pictures so you can better see the reel setup. The reel is spooled in the proper orientation (see close up) and the black plastic guide moves freely when line unspools and when reeling it back in. The reel has no gearing and is a simple friction disc tensioned by the thumbwheel. It readily unspools when any tension is applied to the line. I have been shooting it this way for 10 years and hundreds of fish, biggest 220lbs tuna, 80lbs Wahoo, 62lbs Cobia, 87lbs Grouper without any issues. I am always open to listen for recommendations. Take a look at the pictures and point out what you are talking about. I must be missing something.

I dont think there has ever been more than 80 feet of line pulled off the reel. This gun is very accurate and i get mostly kill shots on big fish, the few that arent usually swin in a tight circle. Before i got the Alemanni I had 140 and had to load it in the boat. It wasnt as accurate and I shot a large tuna and it was a solid hit but not a kill, then he tried to drown me. He wound up with the gun. It has been a night and day difference between hunting with the Alemanni and all the other guns i have owned. My spearo buddies gave me my handle of Shotmaster, the real credit belongs to the gun, i just get to the right location! Lol

A bull shark went after a buddy of mine and i shot it through the gills right when it was about to take a bite out of him. He said "that spear came out of nowhere"! He said the thud was impressive. It fully penetrated both gill plates. And as Paul Harvey used to say "Now you know the rest of the story".

Hi everyone, I am looking to get my hands on a roller gun. I know these guns shoot further than traditional guns and would like to know what roller guns you like? I am taking my family out fishing and I want them to have the best equipment, I will be buying each of them a roller gun but I want them to have a quality one. With so much information out there it's hard to decide. God bless

Check out Gladiator Spearguns https://www.gladiator-spearguns.com I brought 2 Gladiator guns many years ago. The build quality is amazing and the balance is perfect. You would defiantly be happy with one of Neven's guns.

Hey guys the OP was looking for a roller for all his family members. Unless he has money to burn why would you recommend Alemanni or Gladiator? Imagine buying 4 x 2800$ guns for a family outing.....
Yes they are well made high performance guns but what i think he is looking for is a decent gun in an affordable price range.

Reactions: Andrew the fish
The old saying goes "you get what you pay for"!

There are mass produced roller guns using various materials. Even the best of thess leave much to be desired in fit, finish, function, reliablity, durability and accuracy.

With that said, my opinion and experience has been that you can obtain a high performance roller gun but will more than likely have to seek out a more costly model somewhere between mass produced and a one off custom. I shared my experience with my gun to show that a good gun is well worth the money and to offset the negative people who poo poo rollerguns.

The OP didnt limit his question to something like "whats a good rollergun in the $400-600 range" or "which is better, wood, carbon or aluminium"?

I once witnessed a wealthy individual drop a very large amount of money to outfit his family in all Scubapro gear and diving lessons for a summer vacation on a yacht charter. A few thousand more for high quality guns wouldnt even move the needle compared to every thing else. I also know that people find the money for the things they want. I have to save up. I paid a good price for my Alemanni, and have had it 10 years, I would have spent far more replacing guns every other year looking for a better gun than I paid for this one. I can garrantee they would not have killed as many fish or given as much satisfaction.

A bull shark went after a buddy of mine and i shot it through the gills right when it was about to take a bite out of him. He said "that spear came out of nowhere"! He said the thud was impressive. It fully penetrated both gill plates. And as Paul Harvey used to say "Now you know the rest of the story".
:oops: What did you do with the bull shark , once you speared it? Sounds like a potential epic.

Reactions: Kodama
If OP is actually who his screen name suggests, I dont think it is an issue :oops::LOL:

I, on the other hand, would be interested in some more affordable, shorter roller options for lower viz, reef/jetty spearing. In 3-5m viz, should i even bother or stick with traditional. It's tough to fork over the money for a gun having never shot it, let alone put hands on it.

Thanks
How about a Rob Allen roller railgun? 110cm if the water provides good visibility, shorter if not. Aluminium or, for a bit more, carbon barrel.

Or if that is too expensive , too big or too heavy, the Apnea Whaler roller is available in a range of sizes inc. Smaller sizes. It is the cheapest rollergun I've come across yet the spec. seems quite high: rail, decent spear, etc.

Reactions: TimHouTX and Kodama
I took some pictures so you can better see the reel setup. The reel is spooled in the proper orientation (see close up) and the black plastic guide moves freely when line unspools and when reeling it back in. The reel has no gearing and is a simple friction disc tensioned by the thumbwheel. It readily unspools when any tension is applied to the line. I have been shooting it this way for 10 years and hundreds of fish, biggest 220lbs tuna, 80lbs Wahoo, 62lbs Cobia, 87lbs Grouper without any issues. I am always open to listen for recommendations. Take a look at the pictures and point out what you are talking about. I must be missing something.

You're right. This picture confused me:

20200602_152750-jpg.56217

BTW, you're a sniper! Consistent killshots at 8 meters is not for everyone.

You're right. This picture confused me:

20200602_152750-jpg.56217

BTW, you're a sniper! Consistent killshots at 8 meters is not for everyone.
Lol! The Army trained me. Understanding proper lead on a moving target makes a big difference between a clean kill and bagging a fish. Especially at longer distances since the time of flight takes longer and the fish has covered more distance before the spear arrives. Even a slow moving fish will cause you to strike further back than the aiming point. I setup the shot by tracking the fish with the tip of the spear, once that is in motion i advamce my lead say to the tip of his snout and begin pulling the trigger. This part is learned from experience. Having shot International Skeet competitively helped develop and hone my skills for making lead adjustments a natural process. We used skeet training for this very purpose when i was in the Army.

How about a Rob Allen roller railgun? 110cm if the water provides good visibility, shorter if not. Aluminium or, for a bit more, carbon barrel.

Or if that is too expensive , too big or too heavy, the Apnea Whaler roller is available in a range of sizes inc. Smaller sizes. It is the cheapest rollergun I've come across yet the spec. seems quite high: rail, decent spear, etc.
I personally think the Rob Allens are one of the better mass produces guns. A buddy has one and he is pretty successful with it. I am not aware of any issues either.

:oops: What did you do with the bull shark , once you speared it? Sounds like a potential epic.
I cut the line and abandoned the shark and the spear when 2 more sharks appeared and we got out of the water into the boat. We had been shooting a few fish which must have drawn them in. Im pretty sure they made a meal out of him.

I cut the line and abandoned the shark and the spear when 2 more sharks appeared and we got out of the water into the boat. We had been shooting a few fish which must have drawn them in. Im pretty sure they made a meal out of him.
I have learned to respect Mr. Gray over the years. I went one time with some real crazy young guys to shoot cobia off the backs of bull sharks. We all got a nice fish and it was huge adrenaline rush, i wont ever do it again!

BTW Shot Master, where/how do you carry the load-assist band? I feel certain that I would lose such a thing!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT