• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

rubber is to long. what to do ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

madprops

Apr 22, 2009
i bought i used speargun for really cheap online. got the gun shipped to me and its not the same gun that the guy said it was......
so the bands i have are 5/8 by 20 and this gun takes 5/8 by 16.
can i make the bands i have shorter ? and if yes how....... do i just cut them ?
sorry for the dumb question i have just always used air guns.
cheers
Darcy Hinds

Just cut the bands and re-tie if you can. If not, order new ones and use this formula:

Take the distance from muzzle to (pin,slot,fin, or whatever you have) divide by 2 then add 4 inches. That should be about right.

Skip

What happened "bait & switch"? What sort of gun did you order & what sort did you get?

What model & size (i.e. barrel length for euro-style guns) did you order/get? Consider returning the gun and/or rubbers for replacement. Shipping is a pain for the gun but one would want to have the correct length gun for ones needs.

It sounds like you have euro-style screw-in rubbers - is that correct? Folk don't normally cut those but if you do and cannot retie the adapter (as I suspect would happen), you might be able to tie threaded bulk rubber adapters in instead [e.g. see: www.spearitco.com].

What happened "bait & switch"? What sort of gun did you order & what sort did you get?

What model & size (i.e. barrel length for euro-style guns) did you order/get? Consider returning the gun and/or rubbers for replacement. Shipping is a pain for the gun but one would want to have the correct length gun for ones needs.

It sounds like you have euro-style screw-in rubbers - is that correct? Folk don't normally cut those but if you do and cannot retie the adapter (as I suspect would happen), you might be able to tie threaded bulk rubber adapters in instead [e.g. see: www.spearitco.com].

the guy i was buying the gun off of was just dumb

he said it was a JBL sawed off magnum triple sling
when really it was a 38 special triple sling.
so the rubbers a got were 5/8 by 20 and the rubbers i need are 5/8 by 16

they are not screw in they just wrap around the front on the gun

its a piss off that i have 30 bucks in rubbers that will not work. but i payed 25 bucks for the gun and its in mint shape!! but old old old rubber

Changing bands is not a big deal, however, I am not familiar with JBL. You might want to contact the dealer for advice. At any spearfishing shop they would have bands that are sold in bulk much like a music store would have guitar strings. Get the desired length, attach wishbone, and start blasting away.

madprops, you could either post a picture and then get some specific advice or you could try "make your own bands" into the DB search above or into google. There's more info than you could possibly need there. I think we need to give us little more info so we can give you the exact answer you want.

Dave.

People change rubbers every 1-2 years.
Many people here adjust rubber length as it suits them.
It'll be good excercise for you to do it.

You say it is not screw in type of rubber.
Is it something like this then?
MAKO Spearguns - Instructional Info

Give us a photo of your wishbone end.

People change rubbers every 1-2 years.
Many people here adjust rubber length as it suits them.
It'll be good excercise for you to do it.

You say it is not screw in type of rubber.
Is it something like this then?
MAKO Spearguns - Instructional Info

Give us a photo of your wishbone end.

X2

as for ur wishbone u can upgrade to 2.2mm spectra, if u have a notched shaft all u got to do is smooth out the notch so it will not cut the spectra, if u dont want to do that upgrade to a finned shaft.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT