• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rubberised Pnuematic!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

azapa

51% freediver 49% spearo
Jan 31, 2007
...and you chose a pneumatic to get away from those rubbery band guns??

Check out this zero cost mod. it will keep your gun from getting bashed on the rocks. I mainly did this because some entry/exit dings on my guns cylinder were so big i thought they would disturb the pistons travel. The mod. does NOT affect the buoyancy as far as I can tell.

- go to a tire change workshop, and beg an old car o tractor inertube
- cut withs sharp scissors into a spiral, making a strip 1/2" to 3/4" inch wide, DON'T be too fussy, just cut on sight
- start at muzzle, rotating, stretching and pushing wound part upwards (towards muzzle) to lessen gaps
- at trigger guard tie off as shown in detail

I have since put on extra spare loop near the muzzle, that I use to retain the braided spear line excess tight, it works a treat.

Cheers

Attachments

• Seac_start.jpg
    Seac_start.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 239
  • Seac_finish.jpg
    Seac_finish.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 256
  • seac_detail.jpg
    seac_detail.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: spaghetti
Seems a good idea for making it "stealthy". I just wander if the buoyancy it gains is not too much. In Italy we have craftsmen making "taylor made" newprene coatings for pneumatic guns, even in camo pattern. They look cool, but still I wonder if they float too much, don't know. Did you try yours in water?

Hi Spaghetti, yes, zero effect in water, maybe, if anything, a fraction less buoyant. At the surface, the gun with spear still sinks, without, floats. The tire tube is a cool mat black that definitely is stealthier than the factory gloss finish.

Cool idea mate, I have also seen some of the medfish guys have slid a mountain bike inner tube over thier barrels.

bike tubing works really well. You can barely see its on there. it fits so nicely.

check it- "its like a huge black condom"

115mamba.jpg

cool idea also, didn't think of that! my entry/exits are such an effort though, that I think the thinner rubber of the bike tube would get bashed anyway, maybe two or three layers?? We are in summer here now, relatively calm seas, imagine what the entry/exits will be like if I dare to go in winter!!!!!!!!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT