• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rubbers! Shaft!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

igodeep

100% Spearo
May 6, 2010
i shoot a Riffe Euro 110 cm X gun and it came standard with a 7.1mm shaft and 2 16mm or 5/8 inch power bands and the fish i have been shooting have been bending my spears very easy so i thought i would buy an 8mm shaft but now use 2 19mm or 3/4 inch power bands? i will recieve my new items in a week and i will keep all of you updated but just looking for opinions on people who have experianced this before me. thanks.

Hi godeep,

Nice gun you have. I was looking into getting one a few months ago.

What size and type of fish are you going for? I recommend taking a look at the spring steel South African shafts in 7.5mm from Rob Allen or Mako.

They are a lot stiffer than the Riffe shafts in 7.1mm and would work well with your Riffe Euro using either two 16mm bands, or two 17.5mm bands, or three 14mm bands.

If you still want to try the 8mm shafts i would recommend the South African spring steel shafts for euro mechanism from KJ that Florida Freedivers sell (its not on their site but they do carry 8mm euro mechanism shafts). These will be a lot stiffer than the Riffe 8mm shafts as well.

Spring shafts do rust if you don't take care of them, but they are a lot studier. Plus you can get 2 spring steel shafts of different diameter for the price of one Riffe shaft. This would give you more flexibility setting up your gun for different types of prey.

Cheers,
Claudio

thanks for at least putting a post!:head thought i wouldnt get a bite. anyway, i thought Riffe had the best shafts thats why i bought them, hmmmm interesting insite though i will check into the shfts you recomended but im just a little more interested in the rubbers... i have used them all except the 19mm or bigger. anyway ill let you know about the shaft deal. thanks man.

a shaft is a shaft mate. its hard to mess up a steel tube

spring steel is much harder steel than chrome infused stainless steel. It required a little more upkeep, but if you need the strength its worth it.

i would stick to what you've got, you can probably use 16mm with an 8mm shaft. I personally love riffe shafts. could be my imagination but i find that the flexibility helps if you hit rocks allot but i have to admit the new mako shafts look nice. if your gun has room you might consider 3 14 mm bands i use that with a 8mm shaft and it's very accurate and powerful.

Not my field of expertise or experience but isn't this problem of shaft bending what a slip tip is designed to solve? A slip tip basically introduces a flexable joint (cable) at the end where the pressure is and allows the shaft to fold back alongside the fish. If you go for a larger diameter shaft will the relatively small increase in spear stiffness help you if you then spear a slightly bigger fish?

Just a thought.

Dave.

Last edited:
dave thats a good point but the thicker has a much higher mass so it has more momentum and more penetration. i have never viewed strength as the main reason to choose a thicker shaft.

yea i could stick with the 2 16mm bands with a 8mm spear but i was wanting to compensate for the weight and distance as the 7mm shaft performs great with 16mm rubbers i was affraid of losing the punch to break the spine,also was told would aid from getting bent un like the 7mm shaft which noticed over time the 16mm bands were weaker with the 7mm spear so you can imagine a 8mm right?, so 3 smaller bands would work but i dont like, why deal with the 3 band hassel when i can load 2 and have more power right? :martial never used 19mm rubbers on a 8mm spear huh? by the way what kind of gun do you shoot?

I agree with dave Id roll the new Mako Slip tip shaft,This is the best Combo Slip Tip/Threaded shaft package available. Now you can save even more money by purchasing our professional grade slip tips and threaded shafts in one combo set.
Mako Slip Tip:
Combining brute strength with unmatched precision engineering, the Mako Slip Tip is arguably the finest slip tip available. The Mako Slip tip features a thinner than thin rock hard body and “zero wobble” adapter connection, resulting in a hassle free slip tip that will not decrease accuracy and will not jam. To achieve the absolute lowest profile allowable, the ??? stainless steel cable “ball end” is completely recessed with a “near parallel to spear” directional cable path extending through the slide ring (not attached to the slide ring). Simply put, the bar has been raised.

that was from the mako website they are 7.0mm check em out!
MAKO Spearguns - Mako Combo SlipTip with Threaded Shaft and Mini Sharkfins

slip tips are only for blue water hunting:naughty all it takes is one shot int the reef and your tip shatters! its by far the best tip to own "Riffes Slip Tip" that is, but only for blue water not for reef hunting, sorry i didnt explain what i was doing. thanks though.

Last edited:

What fish are bending your shaft ? How far off the tip do you want to
shoot? are you shooting cable? ....off to work I'll give you my opinion later.
Cheers, Don Paul

What fish are bending your shaft ? How far off the tip do you want to
shoot? are you shooting cable? ....off to work I'll give you my opinion later.
Cheers, Don Paul
mainly grouper 8 kilos and up, barracuda 5 kilos and up like yesterday shot a 9.5 kilo cuda line wraped the reef and bent my spear. one time i had 1 permit bend my spear but it was a weird situation... :hmm off the tip i usually shoot grouper anywhere from 2 meters way to 6 meters. no im not shooting with cable, i use 400lb mono, works well. the problem is i shoot these fish they take off and into the coral so thats why im thinkin 8mm spear?:ko

the 8mmshaft will help . go with the rob allen,( they are a little harder) as far as band size.it doesnt matter which you use,aslong as they are as tight as you can manage to pull back, it wont matter. the 5/8"bands actuallypush harder, technically.so they are the best choice. if you want more power make them a little tighter/smaller. aslong as you dont make them so small that they overstretch and bleed out power.(something like 50%) there are all kinds of formulas to tell you how long to make them. i just make them as tight as i can pull back. that is the maximunm return you can get for your efforts. for an 8mm shaft on a 110 euro,(i used to have that gun, and i loved it) i would gowith the 3/4" bands, since the band slot on that gun wont allow for 3 5/8" bands, but you can put 2 3/4" ones. just make them really tight and that will be plenty of power for that spear.

Reactions: igodeep
Nice!:friday thanks for the info. have you ever used 3/4 inch bands though?

Nice!:friday thanks for the info. have you ever used 3/4 inch bands though?

YES.THAT IS WHAT I USED ON MY RIFFE EURO110. 2- 3/4"bands. they were really tight too! i am 6ft2" tall 185lbs and they were as tight as i could manage. BTWtighter than most of my friends could pull .LOL) and i was shooting the 17/64 euroshaft, so it was like a rocket. probably a little overpowered,(some would say) but it shot perfect. i bet with a heavier spear,(8mm for instance) (aka 5/16") it would shoot perfectly also. unless you are a really exta super tall and powerful guy, you could just make the bands as short as you can still manage to cock the gun. and that will be just perfect. if you are a really small guy,maybe going with 5/8"bands would make sense. but if you can pull back 3/4" ones, they are more stout by far.

Im actually smling when i was reading this, so many people are uneducated by 3/4 inch bands beause lack of use, :banthe number one reason why people wont use them is because they cannot load them! :girliej/k but seriously, and thats with the bigger guns 100cm and up. puttin a 3/4 inch band on a 80cm or 90cm doesnt count and shouldnt even have 3/4 on there anyway. not unless you want a broken gun.:duhalso funny im short only 5'6", but ive got the arms for cannons luckly, well i have only owned big guns most of thm are taller then me!:crutchnot only that you should see me load my gun!:koNow 1 thing new spearos if you read this please dont be under the impression you can do the same make sure to start off smaller first. quote from jay riffe himself, "I wouldnt recommened 3/4 inch bands because 90% of the people who order them have trouble loading them, put it this way, i wont even try" unquote.

What kind of fish do you shoot that eat people?

Attachments

• G Dub.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 237

Sorry for the late reply....
When I shoot big reef fish with a medium sized gun (110 to 120 cm) I use three good quality 5/8 bands with a percentage elongation of 300% and a 5/16 shaft. If you can elongate the 3/4 to 300 percent elongation that will
work, if not use 3-9/16 bands. The fish in the image is a Dog Tooth Snapper aka....shaft benders.

http://www.rocknfish.com/Rubber_Test.html Here is a rubber test I did with a friend... not much has changed with the math but the Mean Green batch of rubber may not have been properly cured and would brake in time. Mori's rubber is now some of the best around.

Attachments

• Snaper 2.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X and thedodd
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…