• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rule of thirds, Total Oxygen in body during breath hold underwater swimming

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Conan777

Dec 7, 2016
I have heard about the rule of thirds for free-diving http://freediveuk.com/the-freediving-breath-hold-rule-of-thirds/. Assuming that I don't hyperventilate before breath hold underwater swimming and I start getting a tiny burning urge to breathe on my chest at 1 minute, would I black out after 3 minutes of being underwater? If I could get through stages one and two in the rule of thirds, would I get to the third stage when I hit 2 minutes? Assuming I resist the urge to breathe on my chest with all my might and keep on holding my breath underwater, would I have little oxygen in my whoe body, in the blood, lungs, and spleen at minute 3, since little oxygen to the brain can cause unconsciousness?

Sounds interesting. Could possibly be accurate. Some suggestions from an advanced freediver?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

I would be careful with these kinds of 'rules of thumb'. Some days I get contractions after 3:30, sometimes after 1:30. My total breath hold does not differ that much. Some people don't feel contractions at all. I wrote an article on shallow water blackout a while ago: http://freedivewire.com/minimizing-freediving-risk-shallow-water-blackout/ you may find some useful info there. The bottom line is that you cannot know your oxygen saturation while you're diving, and even if you did know it will change upon going to the surface because of the partial pressure change. Hence, you never truly know how close you are to blackout. However, lots of diving and practice on the line does help to create some awareness of your own limits.

Reactions: Acidjack
When you get contractions after 3:30, how much more time can you stay under water?
And whats when they kick in after 1:30?
Is the total apnea time approximately the same?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

This is from statics. I don't trust the onset of contractions underwater as an indicator of how much I have left, and it would depend on what kind of suit I am wearing, how deep I am diving, what kind of a warmup I've had etc. Total apnea time for these specific statics is approximately 4:30 - 5:00.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT