• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

ruptured eardrum and equalizing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fjohnson

The land of ice and snow
Sep 5, 2001
Some of you know I ruptured my eardrum about 1 month ago, although I've been back in the water for a couple of weeks. The last few days are the first it's not felt plugged at one time or another. Now, when I'm going under I'm very aware about equalizing, and I'm equalizing from 6' on....but I'm one who never equalized until about 20'+ (I was just going to equalize for the first time at 34' when my eardrum broke). But I feel no pain on the way down and so I am equalizing all the time now out of fear that my eardrum may explode without warning again, when I used to just equalize whenever there was pressure sensation and I couldn't hear, and not continually until about 50-60 feet. I know that everyone is different, but are there others that are/have gone through this same thing? What if I go back to not equalizing again until about 20', and just be sure not to miss it and and up at 34' again without having equalized. I'm so focused on equalizing now that it's affecting the rest of my dive. I always bragged that I had no ear pain but now I kinda wish I did....

BTW - the eardrum I ruptured now equalizes easier than the other ear...

Last edited:
Your eardrum should heal up fine but I'd take it easy for awhile. I'm one of those that has to clear from the surface to the bottom. It's just like any other technique. After you do it for a while it will come as second nature. Because of the pressure changes you should have to clear more often on the shallower depths than deep. Maybe your ears were self equalizing through your eusthasion tube before. I can't imagine getting to 34' w/out equalizing and not have my head implode. Take care and take it easy.
Jay

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT