• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

sad news from the dark side

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spaghetti

Campari Survivor
May 31, 2005
It's rumored that the Maorisub company, inventor of the revolutionary Mamba kit that gave world wide impulse to dry barrell airgun systems, is now dead. Closed. Gone.

I haven't been able to verify the rumors first hand so far, but they're actually being talked about in Italy as true news. Sad, but true.

What nobody seems able to explain at the moment, is wether they have sold their patents and production to somebody else, or wether it's simply closed.

Before anyone starts bitching that the Mamba concept is now surpassed and outsmarted by newer dry barrell applications (Stc, Karajo, Tovarich or whatever), which may be eventually or partly true, let's keep in mind that until less than a decade ago nobody was using this kind of kits, at least not commercially.

It was only thanks to the GENIUS, to the creativity, to the courage of the Maorisub people if thousands and thousands of spearos worldwide are now enjoying their airguns to be more efficient and more fun to shoot than they've ever been before in the bad old days.

Honour to Maorisub. Rest in peace Mamba. Thank you very much from
The Dark Side Lads.

Attachments

• mamba.jpg
    mamba.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Reactions: Don Paul
Hi Spago,

You are the second Italian spero that tells me that. Last weekend I dove with a new Italian friend from outside of Rome who also told me the same thing.

He also said that good deals can be found on the Maorisub guns in Italy, since warranties may not be honored after the shut down.

Cheers,
Claudio

Last edited:
Sad day for the dark side. I always enjoyed their site over the years. Does STC ship to the US ?My young boys baseball has
replaced any time I want to spend in front of a lathe lately.
Don Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
Thanks Don Paul. It's not the end of the world, but I think they deserved a happier ending with their venture.

Claudio, I've heard this low price/void warranty thing too, so some say it's the moment to buy. But, in case, don't forget to buy a fair share of spare parts too, if you see what I'm saying.

Selling muzzle conversion kits may have detracted from the sale of their own guns, which were Omer based the last time I checked their web-site. The original version of the "Mamba" with the 35 mm tank diameter offered less lateral drag and so was a differentiated product, but the 40 mm tank guns were much like all the other brands that draw from the same component supplier (or suppliers) anyway.

Maorisub certainly popularized the vacuum barrel system by bringing it to the attention of divers everywhere. I am sure the system will continue as I cannot see the tooling being tossed out, someone is bound to pick it up, possibly one of the major speargun manufacturing brands.

Reactions: Don Paul
That sucks... I have there camo carbon fins in the long size...I think 81cm. Love them to death. Grate peace of kit. Such a peace of art i actually hand them above the bed on surface interval.

Soo what is the "too get" air gun now?

The better old dive companies have a habit of being bought and revived though, don't they? (Sporasub, Mares, etc.)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT