• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Safe depth for beginning?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

vilistaja

Jul 21, 2012
Hi

I would like to know what is the max safe depth to go for beginner? I asking because i am new for diving and want to know how deep can i go to get comfortable being under water. Is 3-5 meters ok without much of experience? Hope my question is understandable because my english may be not so fluent.

Hi. I am new to free diving too. I dive with my brother who is also a beginner. We employ a basic buddy system during dives. Anyway, I'm no expert but I think 10 to 15 meters is a very good depth for beginners. You get to experiance pressure change and you also have enough depth to work on your equalizing technique. Of course it all depends on how you feel. If 5m is all you feel comfortable with, then stick with that for a while.

Hi vilistaja, i think your question is a little like "which speed is safe in a car?". of course everybody will agree that speed is very important for safety in driving, at the same time, answering by suggesting a particular speed is just nonsense. "how to be safe?", can not be answered on a forum. especially not to a beginner, thats my opinion at least.
what i can say is that for me safety is connected to the trust in oneself and a mindful approach.

regards

vilistaja, the deper you go the longer way up to te surface. Sure, all beginners can dive to 15 meters, but I think the key is staying within comfortable zone, no contractions. Also, why do you dive, your bottom times get shorter the deeper you go. In my opinion deeper dives are way boring for beginners, it is much like "touch-and-go". Another matter is visibility and your buddy's ability to retrieve you from the bottom. Say, if you can dive to 20 meters while your buddy has't even learnt how to equalize, that would be asking for a trouble.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT