• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salmon!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fondueset

Carp Whisperer
Jul 27, 2004
Went into a local river today. Very strong current and THOUSANDS of huge salmon. Had to jam myself under a log to stay put. Really intense - fish were in the meter size range. You could actually here and feel them swimming.

Last edited:
Reactions: trux
Comrades; Let us celebrate the selfless industriousness of the Salmon!!

This is definitely among the more bizarre things I've done

Life is Life!

the fisherman in me is reaching for the rod and reel! would love to cast a fly or two but then the freediver in me would rather be in the water... glad i dont have such dilemas here in the pitch dark (read dirty) Danube

serge

The local scubies put me onto this. The river actually runs right through downtown and I was in about 300 yards downstream of the fish weir - right near a bridge. There were people upstream snagging and lures all over the bottom.

I thought the deeply cracked, neo-wagnerian-industrial-heavy-metal soundtrack suited the mindless futility of the salmon run. The aren't feeding or edible at this point - though there were a few lake trout and rainbow mixed in.

Nice video, Fondueset. I haven't really seen so many fishes at once with my own eyes, must've been a cool experience.
Besides, great visibility for a river.

Holy crap Chris! that's exactly what Gabe and I did today; dove with the sockeye in the Shuswap. Got some awesome pics and footage. Pics are in my gallery. Wanna host the footage? :)

Teaser:
Slammin' Salmon

Last edited:
Outstanding video! I want to get back in and include myself in the image. The current was so strong it was hard to hold the camera steady with one hand. There was a rapids where I was diving - so I had to flash out, get to the bottom and get jammed under the log really fast to avoid getting swept downstream. What a rush!

I'll be happy to host it. Has to be under 100 meg (you can do that easily in windows movie maker). PM me if you need the password.
This is one of the few shots I sort of planned (Like a 10 second plan!) the fish were moving so fast.

I like the polarity in our choice of musical scores :) Mine was influenced by the fact that Salmon can't really reproduce here - hence the emphasis on futile industrial collectivism. I have another version but I've yet to upload it.

Last edited:
Reactions: fcallagy
My Pleasure :) Your video is wonderful - the crimson color of those fish is amazing! And the soundrack is perfect.

I noticed the link in your post isn't working, Iceselkie - lets try this one.

Bri's extremely cool salmon video

I tried with limited success to get myself into some videos today. The current is so strong that it's problematic to grab something and operate the camera with one hand. I did alot of fast passes through thick schools of salmon when there was nothing to grab onto.

I was taking stills of a salmon in the shallows - I got very close and took a few shots then suddenly it attacked! Darted right into my chest as I was lying on the gravel. Almost got it's nose caught in my weight vest.

Here are a couple of stills from today. Check out the ominous background to the minnows.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnny
Here's the one that came after me. I think it maybe thought I was a HUGE female or something. It certainly wasn't cornered. All the silt in the pic is from the current flowing under me. We spent probably 5 minutes in very close proximity before it made it's move.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT