• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Saltfree 17/18 July

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
excellent news all round!

Shaun - try and persuade Amanda to stay for the barbie too...

looking forward to it, just need to arrange the weather now

Deepest Bear is looking forward to the barbecue... he will bring the marshmallows for toasting and chocolate bananas.....

Sam

; )

The weather is looking ok for the weekend. Light cloud and wind blowing a Westerly at 20mph.
I fly paragliders so I always keep an eye on the weather but it will be fine for diving and BBQing.

L8er people

mmmmm, toasted marshmallows and chocolate bananas - yum

Saturday Night

Ok - to clarify..

the plan is

if the weather looks good - go to Tescos in Chepstow after diving and buy a load of barbie stuff - have a bit of a campfire/barbie session at the campsite - everyone welcome, scubies, freebies, campers, b and b ers... hell we will even let you in if you are staying at the Marriott !!!

If the weather looks not so great.. we will give The Boat a call at lunchtime and book a table for everyone that fancies that instead...

went for a scuba dive in Chepstow last weekend, The viz shallow is rubbish but below about 10m it is fine.. below 20 it is even better and below that I don't know...

looking forward to it

Sam

SaltFree this weekend -
if your name is on this list and you can't make it please tell me before Wed midday (or we will hit you for your scuba fee!)

If your name is NOT on the list and you want to come, ditto, please tell me before midday Wednesday
thanks

Sam
Bryn
Alexandra
Ross
Lars
Donna
Shaun
Deepest Dave
Mark Harris
Amanda
Remi
Hardest Dave
Guy
Dan Sidoli
Lisa
Zoe
Theo (Sat)
Franck (Sunday)

See you there at 9.30 on Saturday

First Dive approx 10.30 am Sat, second dive approx 3pm
Barbecue Sat night - location tbc on the day
Sunday - meet at 9.30, dive around 10.30
Scuba cover only in the morning on Sunday, if people want to stay and dive shallow in the afternoon that is cool

see you there - get out there and do a sunshine dance!

Sam

Sorry but saltFree for this weekend is now full up - with 18 freedivers we have about all we can safely handle with a reduced scuba team
The next one is 21/22 August
Book your place early!

Sam

Hi Sam,
Sorry I forgot to get my depth to you for this weekend. I think I will play it safe and go for 20m. I will have a better idea on the day after a couple practice dives, but I wouldn’t be going any deeper than 20m.
I’ve made a land yard to attach myself to the line and I also have a whistle, anything else I need?
Is there a place to eat on the site?

Alex,
I will bring my wet suit for you Saturday, hope you like it.

See you all Sat..

Dan

Hi Dan,

Not sure if Sam's around today so.... lanyard and whistle great... anything else - fins, mask, snorkel :D only kidding..... think you're pretty much sorted. You might want a float to hang on whilst you're in the water unless, like me, you're really bouyant!

Yes, there's a food area there and they do the usual burgers etc plus lots of other goodies but it does get busy at lunchtime, particularly if the scubies are there because their coast dives are blown out!!

See you there

Donna :)

Thanks Donna
I was off diving the Scylla yesterday - amazing!

Can't wait to get a freediver down there and take a photo of them next to a "Check Your Air" sign.. (its written all over the wreck!)

Dan - that all sounds cool

everyone - the weather here is seriously miserable right now!

bring waterproofs...

Sam

not deep - about 10m to the top and 28 to the bottom - depends on the tides. Infinitely freedive-able...

Hi Guys,
The feeling of getting back in the water after 4 years away was beyond words! Everybody at the Salt Free meet made me feel welcome, great easygoing bunch.

Guy if you read this could you get in touch and let me know the size of your foot pockets and where you got your fin from as it was a perfect fit.
Also anybody have contact details for the mono-fin club in Swansea?
Cheers all
Dan
Could any replies be sent to both addresses. Cheers
edensidoli@hotmail.com
daniel.sidoli@owenwilliams.co.uk

Thanks everyone for a fabulous weekend and many congrats to Deepest Dave for getting his title back and setting a new saltFree PB for the group!

and to Guy for catching up with the big boys in spectacular chilled out style...

Gordon has put a little story and some photos up on his own site, it is cool, take a look

http://www.drogon.net/personal/photoShoots/Chepstow-17-07-04/

Lars - you HAVE to come next month.. we need your barbecue shopping skills!

If not, you can do it through Tesco On Line and we'll have them deliver it to the campsite :)

nice one, everyone

and well done Alex especially! very impressive

Sam

hey sam and all the folks at saltfree in chepstow - thanks to all of you i had the best weekend...look forward to going back soon!

and if anyone has links for good sites to look for equipment - any would be appreciated!

many thanks again...to the next time
alex

Well done also to Remi, who braved the very un-"Nice" temperatures and added 7m (I think) to his PB on the quiet, and pipped me at the post. :)

Top weekend, congrats to all the Happy Campers. Let's do it again sometime.

Guy

Last edited:
Thanks Guy, and well done to you as well ! 3 more meters I think ;)

That was really a very good week-end indeed.

Thanks again to the organisation and particularly to the angels and the "BBQ chef"

Gordon, do you have any more pictures?
Anyway, I have ordered on e-bay a waterproof casing for my digital camera. So I might do some pics next time, if ever I receive it (it should come from Hong-Kong !!)
So next time I'll go and wait for Dave at 65m for a picture :D

A small question: what is the watch every one seems to use? is it the suunto D3?
Mine don't seem to like going deeper than 30m, so I might get one.

See you soon everyone
I can't wait until next month

Rémi

Hi Remi
Suunto D3 or Stinger, both have freedive mode. D3 is cheaper. Stinger is good if you scuba as well, gives deco / no deco times, dive time etc. D3 is just depth gauge / timer. Both have software available so that you can download profiles, which is cool if you're into that.
www.suunto.com will give you more info.
L*

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT