• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

saltfree in Dahab

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

samdive

Mermaid, Musician and Marketer
Nov 12, 2002
well Deepest Dave and I anyway..

Dave and I spent a fantastic week in Dahab at Lotta's over new year. We have over 800 photos but this is probably my favourite - camel safari - one and a half hours along the coast each way to dive an untouched reef and visit a bedouin camp - what better way to spend new year's day! more later.. and definitely a saltfree trip out there soon

sam xx

Attachments

• davesamcamel.jpg
    davesamcamel.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 216
Come on Sam, you can't just stop with only one paragraph. How about a detailed trip report. What dive sites, what were they like, what critters did you see, vis, temp, wind and wave conditions, etc. Lots of interest in Dahab out in DB land. Could you post a few (or more) of those 800 pics?

Connor

I don't understand how saltfree could have gone diving in Dahab. The water in Dahab is VERY salty. This doesn't make sense. Maybe the club should change its name to 'saltyornot' divers....

well - it was freesalt for the week - yes very salty indeed! I need to go to the lake to wash my kit off!!

I am moving house at the moment but as soon as that is complete there will indeed be a trip report somewhere, give me a week or so to move in and get a broadband account. Finally I have a flat big enough to have a rubber room for all my dive gear and a desk for my laptop rather than doing everything from my bed!

and yes - Deepestbear.com is in trouble. Yahoo Domains sold it to some other domain name registration company and they now want $155 to renew it! I am "in negotiations" but watch this space - it might move to deepestbear.co.uk... or something... in the meantime you can still see the site on http://www.geocities.com/samdive/bear.html - it is a little out of date what with the moving house thing. Deepest Bear has been on a motorbike trip to Laos, Thailand and Burma (yes I know its non ethically correct - I didnt take him) and to Dahab since then... more photos soon

Deepest Dave is no relation - Dave King who dives with saltFree. We have around 5 Daves in the club and he is simply the Deepest.... others include Hardest Dave, Orchid Dave and Lammy Dave (don't ask!)...... I also know someone called "Crap Dave" but he's not a freediver....

more soon

s
x

Reactions: Alison
The sites we did in Dahab.....

The Islands - bit dull to freedive, maybe a better scuba dive, but ok for the first day and a nice walk back along the seafront - stopping at loads of cafes for juice and breakfast

Blue Hole - freedive heaven, deep as you like, calm as you like, need I say more?

The Bells - and YES I made it down the chimney and out the arch at 26m... cool! Just make sure there are no scubies in the way first!

Lighthouse - great for 25m repetitive dives if you want to train - just don't forget how deep you are when you go down to bring the line up and get distracted by the coral! even better for some extreme snorkelling round the reef edge, loads of clownfish, surgeon fish, and millions of jellies.

Canyon - we did it by moonlight, no torches, by far the best way - just stay in the lagoon and enjoy the phospherence.

Ras Abu Ghalaim (?) the one that is 1 1/2 hours each way by camel - here's a tip - don't do it on New Years Day - you will have more energy to enjoy the untouched corals and spend less time just sleeping on the beach.

For any girls out there, check out the link on DB home page news section to Lotta's girls week in May. You will do pretty much all the stuff we did and get some serious training in without all the macho blokes around! It comes highly recommended.

Non diving Dahab highlights - Blue Moon Cafe - esp the fresh calamari, fresh fruit juice - you won't even miss the alcohol with fresh strawberry, mango or whatever you like on tap (and you can still get beer if you must!), cheap cotton clothes - that do make you look ever so slightly like a hippie when you get home but that's kind of nice - and best of all SUNSET! don't miss it - and if you can be a*****d - sunrise too.

Tour Guide of the week/month/year - Robin, Lotta's ten year old son who took us on the camel trip when she was sick. Rode his camel like a cowboy, fought off the bedouin sales girls and kept deepest bear amused for hours. Thanks Robin!!

Sam
x

Thanks for the report Sam, sounds great.

If you want to get away from the well known sites, is there a lot of territory with good(more or less vertical) underwater relief (say less than 10 m to more than 25 m) and lots of coral?? Can you see much wear and tear to coral at the popular sites? Is entry and exit limited to a few places? What was the visibility? Did you have a guide all the time or just sometimes?

Thanks

Connor

Last edited:
samdive said:
well Deepest Dave and I anyway..

Dave and I spent a fantastic week in Dahab at Lotta's over new year. We have over 800 photos but this is probably my favourite - camel safari - one and a half hours along the coast each way to dive an untouched reef and visit a bedouin camp - what better way to spend new year's day! more later.. and definitely a saltfree trip out there soon

sam xx

I am interested in taking part in a freediving course in Dahab... I sent an email to Lotta, with no answer... We might be several people from Paris interested...

Could you give some information ? price ?

I don't really know about lotta's courses as although she helped us out for a couple of days, we did most of our training independently. Didn't need guides, it was all straightforward.

I know Lotta runs various courses - best to contact her directly.

Coral was in amazingly good condition considering how close to shore it all is and how many people are there. I expect there are loads of other unmarked great places to dive to - best to ask Lotta as she is exploring all the time

Sam

SaltFree will be going back to Dahab in October - most likely 9-16 October

I am awaiting final details and costs but it looks like being fairly cheap - Scuba/Tech divers and freedivers both more than welcome and fully catered for

Watch this space and let me know if you are interested in principle. October should be a good time to go - still really warm but not too hot, nice water temperature, not too busy, plus its when it starts to get horrid here again...

save up! and keep some holiday free

s

samdive said:
SaltFree will be going back to Dahab in October - most likely 9-16 October

I am awaiting final details and costs but it looks like being fairly cheap - Scuba/Tech divers and freedivers both more than welcome and fully catered for

Watch this space and let me know if you are interested in principle. October should be a good time to go - still really warm but not too hot, nice water temperature, not too busy, plus its when it starts to get horrid here again...

save up! and keep some holiday free

s

I am very interested... Can you send me more details as soon you get it ?

François

Paris

Could be interest if some of you are coming with non diver peoples speaking French-ish and planning to do some shopping :wave
Otherwise I would not manage to spend much time in the water, if you see what I mean :hmm

Remi - I think there may well be some other non diving shopping people coming!!! I will post all the details on here as soon as I have them!

as the dives are all so close to shore/cafes/hotel it is actually not to bad a place to take a non diving other half - its not like you are out on a boat away from them all day.... and there are lots of opportunities for sunbathing, snorkelling, camel riding and sunset watching if you are not the diving type!

s

We are, most definately, but then you already knew that!
D x

Sam,

Pencilled it in the diary, already.

Warm water how does that feel ?

Lammy

All the details for the freedive part of this trip are now sorted

We will be in Dahab from the 8-15 October, staying at Seven Heaven with Lotta and amongst other things - training at the Blue Hole, riding on Camels to snorkel an untouched reef, moonlight diving at Canyon and lazing in the sun.

If you would like more information and haven't had an email from me with it all on already - give me a shout and I will send the full info

Laura is still working what the techies will be getting up to/down to out there

Sam

Errrrmmmm, not too deep, dark and dangerous I hope - I need Martin to have some energy left rofl rofl

Can't wait...... Just a minor matter of a wedding to deal with first! Don't think we can get there until the 10th though, flights are not so good from here, we have to go via Cairo!

D xxx

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT