• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salvimar Hero/Metal trigger experience

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sear pin ...

Thinkin about the idea of changing the pin diameter to be a tighter fit I came to conclusion that it cant be solution to the trigger issue.

Unless the pin would be eliptical, by increasing the pin size diam we are actually moving the entire sear and its roller CLOSER into the trigger by difference in diameter! The wall of the sear that is closer to the trigger will be pusher further into it resulting in the end in the roller being positioned higher aswell on the trigger lever. The clearance thus will be lower for the roller to slide down when trigger is pushed. Yes it might counter the sear play but at the same time it create a difference in distance between sear and trigger...

I hope I was clear enough and my picture is understandable, paint at work at its finest... :) Im not engineer nor great at math :p

Attachments

• Mike.jpg
    Mike.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 76
You should just replace the mechanism with a new one from Salvimar. Making changes and experimenting could result in the weapon misfiring and skewering someone. Then when asked if you had modified the weapon you could find yourself in trouble as authorities take a dim view of amateurs compromising the safety of weapons, especially when they don’t really know what they are doing. There are people who would like to get rid of spearfishing and any accident will be seized upon, so don’t give them any ammo. Having with others warded off the efforts of some to throttle the sport I know what I am talking about.

actually, speaking of Salvimar Metal trigger, I haven't used any other guns for months, almost a year. Day before yeterday it was time for maintenance on Salvimar, so I took another gun, it was Pathos Sniper, nothing special, it was just handy within arm reach. And then, in the water, I released the shaft unexpectedly, was literally taken by surprise how light the normal trigger feels. I still got the fish I shot at, and kept on taking more fish.

I am thinking, maybe I was giving too much credit to Salvimar guys, trigger really is heavy, when compared to other good guns.

Anyone able to check whether ermess sub fits?
Mario is super slow to reply, but my guess there is noone compatible

Anyone able to check whether ermess sub fits?
Mario is super slow to reply, but my guess there is noone compatible
No, the Ermes won't fit. The drawing you did above is not correct, because the sear rotates through the center of the pin, which means, that if you increase the pin and sear hole at the same time, you did not change the pivot at all. But if you feel like doing that, I strongly suggest that you find someone that has a lathe and stainless steel suitable for making axles. They can make you a new pin that will fit like a glove and will solve the problems that you currently have with the gun 100%. I increased the hole size because I used what I had at home as a proof of concept. Then I had my neighbor machine me a new axle from Inox/stainless steel.
Now that I went spearfishing a few times, I can only say that lubricating all of the rollers and replacing the sear pin/shaft with one that fits better solved all of my issues regarding the trigger. After intentionally taking more shots and even doing some target practice I can say that in 100+ shots it works really well. The trigger pull weight is about 1-1.3kg, which is along the line of what I would expect on a weapon. Having a trigger pull lighter than that would be too light for my taste. Would not want a trigger like I have on a competition air rifle which is only about 600g.

Again, you don't need to increase the size of the pin, just need someone who can make it to the size that you need it. But a skilled machinist will know what to do (milling to size and then using polishing paste to achieve the best possible fit in the end with minimal play), and if you find one locally will probably do it for cheap and it will fit like it should from the factory.

Jack Prodanovich, one of the great contributors to the sport of spearfishing and heavy equipment design for shooting big fish rather than tiddlers soon recognised the importance of curve matching in his trigger designs. He had been making guns when the sport was just beginning and his mechanisms were built using grinding tools and jigs to get around meshing problems. That meant his two piece trigger did not drive the mechanism backwards because when cutting the trigger profile the trigger piece revolved on what was the trigger pivot, the holes being cut first and all the shapes generated with respect to the holes. He knew that even the best designed forms were no good if the holes were drilled slightly out of position or they did not match the pin spacing in the housing in terms of lever separation in the housing.

One gun that was notorious for pushing the trigger mechanism backwards was the Sampson gun, a gun for big hitters that was based on an up-scaled and redesigned French Arbalete on steroids. The French gun also pushed the spear back slightly against the band pull, but mitigated it with a curved sear tooth profile engaging a matched spear tail notch whereas the Sampson had a V shaped tooth and spear tail notch. The curved notch “euro tail” is still with us today.
For sure the Sampson as a eurogun on steroids is based on the Hurricane "Corsair" as the Hurricane dates from at least 1949 when it was displayed on the rollergun patent using a cocking lever. That would mean the "Corsair" is actually even earlier than 1949. The Sampson appears in the later sixties.

The pistol grip gun appears because few liked the angled grip Hurricane without its shoulder stock.
Hurricane rollergun (Inv. Martineau) A.jpg

hurricane lever rollerguns.jpg

Hurricane Corsair.vs Sampson.jpg
Hurricane Corsair Rifle.jpg

Hurricane Corsair and Sampson Gun lineage R.jpg

Reactions: Mr. X
The Hurricane trigger is a single piece trigger, whereas the Sampson gun has a variation on a pull down sear lever, which is used in all the Champion Arbaletes, but there its pivot pins are all on the same horizontal alignment. Note the forward projecting arm on the trigger blocks the line release lever from moving, until you pull the trigger. Swivelling U shaped rod swings in behind the trigger as the safety cam and is operated by an external lever on the LHS of the grip handle. Note that this example has never been used, not a speck of marine corrosion anywhere.
Hurricane lever rollergun trigger R.jpg

Sampson internals.jpg

Champion Cavalero mechanism.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT