• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salvimar Hero Speargun - any good?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I like the look of this speargun but vaguely recall some Salvimar spearguns having some fairly serious design and/or quality problems in the past.

Size-wise, I'm thinking 105cm (or possibly 95cm), which would "fine conditions only" speargun for me, rather than #1, everyday speargun.
Features I like:
- Shark fins & associated thick, dyneema wishbones.
- double-rubber capable (although I might switch the 2xhollow-looking rubbers for 1x16mm bulk rubber).
- cuttle-fish shaped barrel (always liked that :) )
- stainless steel trigger & mech (at least the visible parts)
- "reverse" mech for longer band pull, potentially at least - whether that is practical or not is another matter
- open muzzle (switched over to open muzzle recently and ain't going back! :) ).
- ergo handle, useful for improved stability and comfort esp. for longer guns.

First let’s get some things straight. The above clip to me is merely a commercial not a review. He mentions a couple of features and misses out on key aspects.
What about shaft diameter, band stretch, type of rubber, band diameter etc.
I think the mechanism with its front roller is the main feature and it is hardly mentioned.
He obviously has never shot the gun so he can’t talk about range or performance. He says he doesn’t like the reel but fails to explain exactly why. Also the gun doesn’t has a cuttlefish shaped barrel! It has an oval shaped one.
Off the soap box now...

The gun has been on my radar for quite a while and looks really well built. I would love to compare it to a Pathos of similar length but I am hesitant to buy one without being able to inspect it myself first.

Would love to hear from anyone with real life experience with this model.

One of the things I wonder about is the barrel and its performance. How well does it track compared to a round barrel which displaces less water? It has all these inserts in the interior that supposedly should stiffen it out. Is it better or as good as a simple round (carbon ) barrel?

How is the sight picture? Do the bands lay flat next to each other or are they slightly staggered?

I also think that they are grossly overpriced in the US. Over +500$ vs 255€ (=296$)? For a bit extra you got an Abellan..
Or better yet get something local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr. X
Speargun Salvimar Hero

Aircraft grade aluminium alloy elliptical barrel
• Teflon® Shaft guide
• Enlarged profile for a better hydrostatic trim
• Ergonomic handle with left and right butt
• New Heavy Metal 350 trigger mechanism (Muzzle load 350kg)
• Trigger sensitivity adjustment
• Chest loading pad of soft rubber
• Shaft with 3 Shark Fins
• Handle with hook for line fixing or reinforced snap hook
• Open multi band muzzle
• Standard supplied bridge to turn it into a close muzzle
• Reel included (without line).
Shaft 7 mm for Guns 75-95
Shaft7.5 mm for Guns 105-135
Barrel and its performance ok. But of course price in Evrope for 135 gun 268 evro (308 us dollars)so it is grossly overpriced in the US.
If to buy from Europe directly, it will be 226 euro for 135 gun, plus shipping + custom tax.

A friend of mine has it and he likes it very much. However, he says that tracking is not its best feature.
He's using it as it comes standard (without any mod).

A friend of mine has it and he likes it very much. However, he says that tracking is not its best feature.
He's using it as it comes standard (without any mod).
What`s size of the gun ? And what problem with tracking?

I think they should be a hit down here in OZ, the only thing I would recommend for our market is to supply them with a 200mm longer spear. Other brands & models of spearguns from Europe have followed this principle for Australia & their guns have performed & sold much better after the change.

I think they should be a hit down here in OZ, the only thing I would recommend for our market is to supply them with a 200mm longer spear. Other brands & models of spearguns from Europe have followed this principle for Australia & their guns have performed & sold much better after the change.

Why is that?

They are heavier & better ballasted than typical tube guns. The handle will give better control, the trigger is all stainless & they come with a spring stainless spear instead of just spring steel. It would be nice to see a non biased comparison in the pool against similar guns on the market, but even without that I think this gun would have the edge just from its weight & handle.

I know the specs of this gun, sorry for the confusion.
My question was regarding the longer shaft. Why is it that over there spearos prefer a longer shaft instead of the one that’s coming with the gun?

I know the specs of this gun, sorry for the confusion.
My question was regarding the longer shaft. Why is it that over there spearos prefer a longer shaft instead of the one that’s coming with the gun?
I`m preffering the shorter shaft. Aiming from them for me much more easier. I was shooting with Seac sub 120 and shaft 160 and almost 97-98% was a good shot. When I change shaft for 165 it became 60-65 %/

I like at least 300mm overhang for improved accuracy & this is pretty common. A lot of importers of euro guns are aware of our preference & longer spears are standard. Salvimar seem to have overlooked it, but I expect they will offer a longer spear option soon.

Ergo handles are great if they fit you, not so great if they do not. With these type of grips it is best to try before you buy.

Spears 40cm longer than the barrel tube are common, or should I say that extend 40cm beyond the muzzle. My omers' spears are 5cm shorter tho'. Update: my Omer XXVs' spears protrude only 24cm beyond their muzzles.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT