• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salvimar Predathor Vuoto 100

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks everyone for the help I was able to get the piston out using a screw. Here's a photo of the damage and a unscathed shock. New piston and oil on order (plus a new shock just incase) so should be back together soon. Thanks for the help everyone lesson learned.

That's great news and cool trick with the screw:)

BTW, is it corrosion or pitting behind the front seal in this pic or just smudge?
DSCN1762_CORROSION.JPG

Thing is, since my very first Seac Hunter, I have not been fond of these types of pistons. When I took that gun apart after my first spearing trip, I had corrosion in that exact spot. It's almost like it migrates from the front, under the o-ring and to the back. I know Pete's says he has used these pistons for decades and haven't had real world issues with it so I am probably just overly cautious;-)

It's corrosion it's very minimal and rubbed off with a soft cloth, but none the less it's corrosion.

Yeah, I am with you. I had that on my one and only piston of this type and I don't like the idea of it. But as I said, maybe I am seeing issues where there none.

You can get corrosion inside a gun which is very minimal just from the water that goes into the gun when you pump it up. Water vapour in the atmosphere passes into the gun unless you are in a desert when you are doing the pumping and as many guns are stored on their nose the water gathers in droplets in the oil. Water being denser than oil the water goes to the bottom and creates corrosion spots on parts like that piston. Seals are never perfect in their sealing action and minute amounts of water can get past them and that includes when you are shooting your gun in the ocean, so a frequently used gun needs an oil change once per year, otherwise you can leave it for two years.

Reactions: Marulken
Hi so I've got everything back together now. So this should be my final question, what pressure do you run these at approx? I've the 65cm which I've used at factory set pressure, unhelpfully the manual doesn't offer any guidance nor let you know what pressure they send them from the factory. I've probably only got one more chance to get out this year which is tomorrow, so I don't want to head out under pressure or un-loadable.

Hi so I've got everything back together now. So this should be my final question, what pressure do you run these at approx? I've the 65cm which I've used at factory set pressure, unhelpfully the manual doesn't offer any guidance nor let you know what pressure they send them from the factory. I've probably only got one more chance to get out this year which is tomorrow, so I don't want to head out under pressure or un-loadable.
They all come with 20atm which is 320 pump strokes for the 65 version

Reactions: Tigger
Strictly speaking all pneumatic spearguns are required to be depressurized for air transport, but the reality is no one checks or has the time to check, so the guns come pressurized. If you depressurize a gun then it is good to put about a dozen pump strokes back into it to prevent the oil leaking out as othwise oil will slowly get past the seals. Then when it comes time to pump the gun up let all the air out so that you can start your pump stroke count at zero. Of course if you have a contents pressure gauge then you can forget about counting pump strokes and start with some pressure already in the gun.

Is 7.5mm shaft compatible with Pretathor Vouto 100 (it comes with 7mm) or i have to buy shock absorber 8mm ?

Shaft:
Shock absorber:

It should be OK as the Predathor Vuoto 115 and 130 use an 8 mm shaft and I would expect them to use the same muzzle parts. From 100 cm and down they use 7 mm shafts and I have never seen a reference to different muzzle parts for that family of Vuoto guns. The wet barrel Predathor guns all use 8 mm shafts. Just looking at their catalogue the 7.5 mm shafts are supplied with the Dark Side models 99.9 cm and 115 cm.

To check you could remove the muzzle vacuum cuff and see if the shaft tail fits through the bore hole. In earlier guns the shaft tail stop was a problem due to the hole through the muzzle nose behind the muzzle nose cap. For example the 9 mm tail stop on an 8 mm shaft would not pass through the original Cyrano muzzle as it was sized for the 8 mm tail stop on the 7 mm Cyrano shaft, unless you drilled it out. Vacuum barrel guns don't have such restrictions except for where they hold the vacuum cuff which in a wet barrel gun is just a short tunnel. The reasoning behind the shaft tail stop being a clearance fit in the muzzle was to aid in holding the spear in line while you got ready to push with the hand loader.
Salvimar muzzle spares.jpg

Last edited:
It is interesting to note the "one size fits all" vacuum cuff is still in use for these guns, as you see from reading the above extract from the 2020 catalogue. I had thought that they may have produced an 8 mm vacuum cuff (as other manufacturers have done that) and thus given the vacuum cuff an easier life in the 13 mm barrel guns that shoot 8 mm shafts.

It is interesting to note the "one size fits all" vacuum cuff is still in use for these guns, as you see from reading the above extract from the 2020 catalogue. I had thought that they may have produced an 8 mm vacuum cuff (as other manufacturers have done that) and thus given the vacuum cuff an easier life in the 13 mm barrel guns that shoot 8 mm shafts.
STC now have different shaft kit for every shaft diameter. I do not know if the DSS, dynamic seals, are also all different size, probably not all...?

The seals I had in my One Air were all just for one size only. Jumps in 0.5mm if I recall correctly. But Pete can verify that. I think their own original system was the same, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "One Air" requires you to replace the plastic bushing and the parachute gasket for each different size of shaft, they are parts X and Z respectively on the diagram. The parachute gasket is the vacuum cuff. I don't think this is a great system as there is no blow-off option if the barrel floods.
One Air muzzle detail from the manual.jpg

Hello you all.

I have never used a pneumatic speargun before. I am using the classics with rubbers and lately an inver roller.
I read carefully everything you all wrote and I'm thinking of buying the Salvimar predathor vuoto 100.
I think is a value for money pneumatic speargun.
If I understood correctly, it would be preferable to buy some spare parts with the weapon, such as vuoto bushing, gasket, o rings.
Am I right ?
Is there enything else i have to buy ?

Thanks

Hello you all.

I have never used a pneumatic speargun before. I am using the classics with rubbers and lately an inver roller.
I read carefully everything you all wrote and I'm thinking of buying the Salvimar predathor vuoto 100.
If I understood correctly, it would be preferable to buy some spare parts with the weapon, such as vuoto bushing, gasket, o rings.
Am I right ?

Thanks
That's exactly right, Stelios! I got some oil as well, but any oil will do. Also, mind the gun's total length, so that you can easily charge it.

Thanks for the reply.
Correct me, if I an wrong but from what I have read, you have the 100. Tell me, can you charge it easily ?

Thanks

my height is 1.77
I can’t charge longer than a 70. Maybe if you get the mares loader with a string extension. Maybe you have very strong arms. Maybe I would try it at lower pressure. I saw videos of the infamous Pipin who used a long pneumatic and had installed some sort of handle on the barrel to facilitate charging. Maybe there are videos on YouTube. I feel comfortable using my knee or leg near the groin to support the speargun. With a 100 you have to use your foot. Are you going to hunt tuna with that?

Hello you all.

Am I right ?

Thanks
You only need the spare vacuum cuffs, which come in a pack of three. A reel may be something else worth considering. The other parts can be bought when needed.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT