• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salvimar Voodoo Rail Open 105cm review

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mariusshobo

Sep 22, 2013
I started looking for a secondary gun, a simple one that I could use around reefs in Med Sea, Greece.
After searching the web for a few days, I decided to go for the Salvimar.

The reason for choosing this gun was the handle. The picture of it looks good and the loading but is not interfering with the aiming along the shaft, because it is curved down. Perfect.

I received the gun with one 140cm shaft (6,1 - 6,2 mil shaft - my measurements - brown colour, with 3 pins for anchoring the slings) and one circular band of 17mil (or 17.5 mil) black colur with metal wishbone.
As for tuning, I've ordered one extra shaft 6,5 mil Salvimar Squalo and 14 mil bulk sling to make 2 slings. And a Salvimar Voodoo reel.

The gun looks very good, and the original setup (shaft + sling) composed.
The handle is ergonomic and fits good in my hand (I have medium size hands). But the trigger seams to be a little to far so I could squeeze it with the tip of my finger (I was used with the trigger of my Riffer Euro Type). But no problem with that, a few shots and didn't feel it anymore.
The safety mech is excellent; it is positioned in such way that if you keep the gun firmly and extend the finger for the trigger, then the safety is almost disengaged automatically).
The mussel is large and divided in such way that it will automatically arrange the bands if using a pair. First band will be arranged fairly parallel with the shaft, and the second one will be lower. The bands will not touch each other for the almost entire length of the barrel (except for a few centimeters near the loading pins), and they will not touch the alu barrel at all.

I've used this gun in 2 setups:

First setup:
- shaft 140cm, 6,1 - 6,2 mil diameter, 3 loading pins (original); weight 330g;
- one x 17 mil black circular sling (original), but installed with dyneema wishbone; original lenght;
- 1,6 mil monofilament as leader, double wrap, with metal clamps;
- Salvimar Voodoo reel;

Second setup:
- shaft 140 cm, 6,5 mil diameter Salvimar Squalo (new); weight 360g;
- two x 14 mil amber circular sling, installed with dyneema wishbones; lenght : as much as I can strech it;
- 1,6 mil monofilament as leader, double wrap, with metal clamps;
- Salvimar Voodoo reel;

In the both setups, the gun has a very nice bouncy; slightly negative but very easy to handle in the water and to aim.
The aiming is simple and intuitive; just look along the shaft and shoot.
The muzzle has a metal pin that aloud to rig the gun normally. I know that this muzzle aloud for a different rigging, but I didn't bother.
The trigger was smooth. There is an screw on the trigger to adjust ... something. I've turn it in both directions but I didn't felt any difference.

I've tested the gun in salt water (Med Sea), calm sea, no current.
Distance : 3 m from the tip of the spear, round target 5 cm diameter.
More than 25 shots for every setup, in 2 consecutive days.

The result was the same, in both setups : the gun will shoot 12 to 14 cm lower than the aimed point and 1 to 2 cm left.
Grouping of the shots : all shots in radius of 6 cm.

As for control, I've used my Riffe Euro 130cm at the same target from the same distance (3m from the tip of the spear). And I could hit the round 5cm target every time.

I've tried to arrange the 14 mil twin bands one on top of the other: same result.
I've tried to take a different grip on the handle: same result.
I've tried 3 different pairs on gloves (3mil or 3.5 mil neoprene): same result.

I have no idea way this gun shoots low.
I've sold it, but it would be interesting to see what went wrong. If there is any ideas, post it.

Best regards,

Reactions: Mr. X
SALVI_VOODOO_RAI_51ada29e37f71.jpg

Perhaps the spear needed straightening or the flopper/barb need adjustment? Perhaps you just needed to get used to it?

Perhaps the spear needed straightening or the flopper/barb need adjustment? Perhaps you just needed to get used to it?

The spears were new and straight, as far as I can tell.
The floppers were low profile and very well maded. As for the original shaft that came with the gun (shaft 140cm, 6,1 - 6,2 mil diameter), I remember that it was embended in the shaft's body for more hydrodinamic performance.

Thinking back, I guess that the reason for missing the target was the handle, that was (for my fairly small hand - size 8 for ski gloves) too anathomic, too curved on the back side, and it was not resting perfectly in my hand.

One other thing is that I have not tested the gun with the original metal wishbone on the original sling (I had replace it with dyneema). Maybe with the original wishbone it would have been magic!

I think a figured out the problem of the low shots for the salvi voodoo ... yest i was talking to my frnd a physics major who once saw the gun pointed out a hydrodynamic problem of the torsion 2 barb system ... on the bottom part of this system there is a hollow part that once it gets moving it create a vortex and a low pressure area which causes the end of the spear to drop and causing the shot to go down ... ive learned quite quikly how to compensate for it but i guess others should know what the problem might be and not trash the salvi voodoo gun just for the simple mistake of not giving it a simple barbed shaft

...One other thing is that I have not tested the gun with the original metal wishbone on the original sling (I had replace it with dyneema). Maybe with the original wishbone it would have been magic!
Yes, I've wondered about how much difference the wishbone type makes. My Omers came equipped with decent metal French articulated wishbones and I replaced them with Dyneema wishbones, which I prefer (simple, quieter, less chance of injury but shorter lived), however, I wonder if the original wishbones hold the spear up a little higher & straighter. Hard to say. If I miss, I usually assume - rightly or wrongly - that it is my fault or a strong current rather that the accuracy of my spearguns. Certainly a strong current can effect accuracy - I noticed this when spearing the same location on consecutive days but under much different tidal conditions.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT