• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salvimar Vuoto muzzle

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

porzione

Aug 18, 2022
I recently upgraded my plain Predathor muzzle to Vuoto vacuum version, now I would like to inpsect rubber gasket state but can't unscrew the muzzle. There is not even a slot for 10mm hex key. Tried pliers with rubber pad over muzzle, zip ties and so on - no success. Is there some hack how to unscrew without scratching anything? Thanks

Thats odd, i own three vuotus and never had an issue removing the tip, all are hand tight and easy to remove. I have used piece of leather in the past to protect metal surfaces. Should help you get a good grip without marring, i use the index finger off an old leather glove.

It should only be finger tight, but if you fill a cup with boiling water and stick the tip of the muzzle in it that will heat it up and expand the metal. Don’t put it right in as you don't want the rear heating up as well. Conduction will transfer heat, but if you work quickly then you will unscrew it before that happens. A drop of oil of the join will help as on cooling the oil will suck into the screw thread. Use gloves to handle the heated component.
Salvimar muzzle comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the latest muzzles with the longer noses on the front section. To unscrew the entire muzzle after depressurizing the gun with the selector set at full power there are flats incorporated on the rear muzzle body.
Salvimar vacuum muzzle kits.jpg

Thanks all for the advices. Tried the trick with hot water and WD40 on joint - no success. I did not use much force when screwing the muzzle, so this is strange, next time I will depressurize and try again, maybe it will help to unscrew whole thing. The muzzle is 13 / 302000A.

Cross threading can make things hard to undo, but you would have noticed this unless you have never dismantled it. I suggest you let all the air out and remove the muzzle and see if you can budge it by working on the muzzle alone, that way you will avoid damage to the gun. In the meantime you could reinstall the original muzzle.

Finally managed to unscrew whole thing - after depressurize wrapped the muzzle with 10-15 layers of scotch tape, then used big plumber pliers and unscrewed front part. The thread seems fine, no cross threading or other issues, at least nothing noticeable and head turns easily. Unscrewed second part with wrench, inspected internals and very carefully put it all back together, trying not to use force at all. Don't know what went wrong last time.
Thanks all again.

Although you don't want grease on the vacuum cuff you should put a dab on those screw threads as saltwater wicks in there and can over time corrode the threads, especially if the gun is not washed by soaking in a tub before long term storage. This can make parts very hard to unscrew. At the factory they use anti--seize compounds on the inner barrel threads front and back, but you can use a marine quality grease. This stuff is usually white or a beige colour.

I put the gun in a basin with fresh water after every use, in fact I never stored my gun dry more than week. But yes, now I want to apply some oil to threads just not sure what exactly to use. I saw Salvimar lubricating oil at tradeinn, will add it to my next order.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT