• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Santa Maria, Azores. Spearfishing trip

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

vrokhlenko

Sep 22, 2002
Hello to whoever is interested!

I spent 3 weeks on the island of Santa Maria, Azores.
Was living in a small hotel (3 rooms, 2-3 person each, private bathrooms).
The owner is a taxi driver, so he would give me the ride to/from the shore.
I paid 30 Euro/day for my room and gave him some extra money for the transportation. An alternative would be to rent a car which would easily be 30-40 Euro/day plus diesel. Living in the hotel and walking to the water while carrying the gear would be impossible.

I did mostly shore hunting which was not very exciting (possibly due to the wrong wind direction and lots of rain). My most notable catches were a 6-kilo barracuda, two 3-kilo amberjacks and various other fish between 2 kilo and less (mullet, salpa, sargo, etc.). I am very picky so I would not shoot parrot fish (saw thousands) and trigger fish (also in abundance) or in general any fish that hides under the rocks.
Saw very big rays, murenas, octopuses, turtles. Water visibility was good, especially far from the shore. Water temperature - above 20 with little thermocline, some places had strong currents around remote rocks.
Saw some groupers but they can not be taken. Never dove below 12 meters since most fish could be taken shallow and to go deep you need a boat since good places are far from the shore. Barracuda was killed at 4 meters, good amberjacks were seen in 1 meter of water.

So best strategy would be to either rent or hire a boat, go to pinnacles and hope for the larger pelagic fishes. If I go there next time, I would try to execute this plan since shore hunting is not very rewarding. So I would need pinnacle information. Also there are some small towns from where one can go spearfishing on foot but I was not able to locate anybody with rental places there.

I was never bothered by police while hunting but had a float with a flag with me at all times.

Also I was told that this particular July was not very good fishing-wise in general.

Aside from fishing there is very little to do on this island (96 sq. km.). There are some parks in the mountains, close to the water it is barren, water access by foot is mostly difficult/impossible. Spearfishing license for a month costs 10 Euros.

People are extremely friendly, some speak perfect English since lots of families have US connections.

That's about it!

Reactions: foxfish
Thanks for your report, I have been a couple of times but the last was 10 years back.

I wish I was there 10 years ago since according to the locals the fish was in abundance back then!

My first visit was in about 98 & yes there was an abundance of pelagics - & sharks - loads of sharks!!

On Santa Maria or some other islands? I think you saw sharks away from the shore, right? I saw a lot of sharks' relatives - rays. One of them came over three times to check me out with a 10 minute interval. The last time he got ON TOP of me and scared me to death since I was not sure about what kind he was! That poor Australian dude came to mind immediately...

No there were sharks everywhere!
I caught 20 or so rod fishing from the shore at night to about 30lb but, around the pier in Santa Maria, after dark you could see big tigers to about 10' in length.
The hotel just to the left of the pier had bright spot lights shinning on the water, you could see huge sharks just swimming around in the light!!!
However you are right we dived off shore from boats...
I liked the Islands but change was "a foot" even then - I went back in 2001 & was shocked with the change of pace!!

Very interesting!

In all fairness I am kind of happy about not meeting a shark under water - if they have the same problems as Portugal, they might have considered me an imported food!

When I was on the pier, I saw a lonely fisherman with a small mullet as his catch! I was told that locals fish at the places depending on the wind direction. In my case I could not be taken to the places where the fish was since the boats of the people I was in contact with were too small for the waves. So next time I would have to plan my trip better. In general I liked it since the place was quiet and I saw only one hunter in the water the whole time and even he was after mussels apparently since his gun was attached to the float

I have visited a website in which they are only charging 9 Euros per day for renting out a car. I think its a feasible and most affordable option now. Because people need to rent a car when they are on trip. https://www.turbonuoma.lt

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT