• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sara wins one Gold at Worlds

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

littlefreediver

Aug 13, 2006
Hi everyone

I heard over the weekend that there is some talk among British freedivers regarding a press release about my performance at the World Championships and I want to make sure, before any further misunderstanding or ill-feeling grows, that you are all aware of the situation.

As a test period, a body care company, Naked, agreed to support the PR work around Triple Depth and the Worlds, with a view to us developing a full sponsorship partnership. Naked's PR girls put out a press release, on 7th November, which HAD NOT BEEN SEEN OR APPROVED BY ME, stating that I had won two Gold medals, rather than one. As soon as I saw the error, I asked them to change the release or retract the incorrect version. Unfortunately nothing has happened, and I am very sad to hear that people are wondering whether I have actually put this information out myself.

As a PR consultant with over eight years experience, I have been very disappointed by the way this company has handled my media work. I know that journalists often miscommunicate the facts and that's totally out of my hands, but a PR agency should never have put unapproved and incorrect material into the public domain on my behalf. Unfortunately due to the way the internet works, this erroneous 'double gold' will probably remain in the public domain and there is very little I can do about it.

However, I do feel very strongly that my fellow freedivers in the UK know that I did not put this information out myself and have done all I can to correct the situation.

Let's face it, I had the most amazing time at Triple Depth and the Worlds, and while I made a failed attempt at a second gold and fourth World Record, I can hardly be disappointed with my performance! That would just be greedy!

So, on a more positive note, there's been some great coverage for freediving - bbc.co.uk TV with Mike Bushell and Radio 4 Woman's Hour (both online), yesterday's Observer Sports Monthly and more to come... I hope that my diving and the media work I'm doing will help us to grow freediving in the UK. And of course you're all welcome to come and have a dip with me in the Blue Hole any time!

Lots of love
xxxx
Sara

Hi Sara,

The only talk i'm really aware of is the discussion I had with Mark and Anna on Thursday night, so I hope you don't think the whole of the UK is onto it (unless there's something I don't know!). I saw the thread on DB on Thursday and read the blurb on Naked's website and mentioned it to Mark and Anna at training that night. We pretty much vented our frustration at the media screwing things up over and over and over. From everyone's experience it seems that even if you hand feed them they still get it wrong :vangry

Glad you have cleared it up though, thanks!

Cheers,
Ben

Cheers for that Ben!

I'm sure it isn't that big a deal, but I don't want anyone to think that I put false information about my performance on the net. I've had lots of trouble with this company and how they've managed the PR side of things (OK, so I'm a perfectionist and have been doing it for years myself, so I'm probably not the easiest 'client'!) and I just want to clear up any misunderstanding before it does become something negative!

Nice to hear from you and sorry I didn't make it to training to see you and the others! Heading back to Dahab tomorrow for some more sun - hurrah! Maybe see you all closer to Christmas...

big hugs
x
S

No probs, I think we'll see you well before Christmas though...

Everyone in the UK was glad to hear about your recent successes and nobody in the UK believes the press (not that im into sweeping generalisations). I have heard and read dozens of examples over the years of ridiculous reporting from people who have got their facts wrong or not bothered to check them in the first place. Whilst i can understand from the point of view of the person being reported about (in this case you) that it could be upsetting that things you haven't done or said are reported that really outside the rest of the world doesn't care about the innacuracies in the same way. The immediate thought is that the press have got it wrong again.

So congratulations and as an aside where are the Naked diver pics? I am willing to check them first for you to make sure nothing gets out that shouldnt.

Thanks for your note - and very kind offer of help in monitoring the photography connected to this 'Naked Diver' malarky. An article in the Sun (www.thesun.co.uk/reallives, or something similar) makes quite entertaining reading - never been called 'busty' in my life! Guess media 'inaccuracies' can have benefits too ;-)

And I'm not too concerned, it's just that it's a PR company the was supposed to 'represent' me, rather than a journo, who made the cock-up and I don't want people to think I approved whatever went out.

Story over... back to diving!

x
S

I heard over the weekend that there is some talk among British freedivers regarding a press release about my performance at the World Championships....

As Benny said, it was Anna, Ben and myself. One German, one Aussie, One Brit. Don't think that particular topic lasted more than a minute, and I didn't discuss it with anyone again afterward. So rest assured, the UK freedive community are none the wiser. ;)

Anyway, better that they gave you one gold medal too many than one too few. :friday

can we keep this kind of stuff out of the SaltFree forum please - it's nothing to do with SaltFree!

Thanks

S

Hey there,

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows it wasn't me who put it out - and I have no idea of knowing who has misconstrued it. Sorry for using SaltFree, but thought it was the best way to reach the British divers.

Hope you're well, Sam! Issue now closed!
x
S

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT