• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sardinia spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jonny250

Job 41:7 can you?
Sep 8, 2007
I would be grateful for any advice on spearfishing & u/w photography in Sardinia - around the end of May. looking for a week somewhere warm for myself + family, any recommendations would be welcome :).

Jonny for me the best part of the Island for diving is an area called Gallura, in the north east of Sardinia.
I should search around for an update about new Marine Parks (where spearfishing is forbidden) because some have been institutionalized recently in the area.
Can you wait until friday for some more accurate infos?
by now have a shot of the typical Coastline of the Gallura province, rocks craved by the wind, white sand beaches and tourqouise water!
santa%20teresa%20di%20gallura.jpg

Thanks, spaghetti, i knew i could rely on you ! :) i can wait till Friday, thanks.
it looks like a beautiful place.

Hi, mind if I join in?
I'm trying to find the best spot for beginner spearfishing in Sardinia (1st week May).
I can get super cheap flights to Alghero (North West) but I'd rather pay a bit extra to fly to the east or south if the fishing's better.
Any help greatly appreciated...cheers

Don't go to Cagliari. I tried it last year and ended up driving every day an hour and a half to Chia - which is actually very beautiful. West of Cagliari you will find Villasimius with a lot of Fish, but only to watch as it is Parco Nazionale - national park. For the rest I don't know and would be grateful for any tips as well. I will go to Alghero/ Fertilia in May and June.

Jonny for me the best part of the Island for diving is an area called Gallura, in the north east of Sardinia.
I should search around for an update about new Marine Parks (where spearfishing is forbidden) because some have been institutionalized recently in the area.
Can you wait until friday for some more accurate infos?
by now have a shot of the typical Coastline of the Gallura province, rocks craved by the wind, white sand beaches and tourqouise water!
santa%20teresa%20di%20gallura.jpg
wow that is beautiful, just had to throw those pink flowers in huh?:t

Hi, mind if I join in?
I'm trying to find the best spot for beginner spearfishing in Sardinia (1st week May).
I can get super cheap flights to Alghero (North West) but I'd rather pay a bit extra to fly to the east or south if the fishing's better.
Any help greatly appreciated...cheers

Welcome to DB Bl0ndie :friday
Don't know anything useful about Sardinia but we have a member near you that you might want to contact, Spaniard. A great guy and a font of knowledge when it comes to spearing :)

Hey thanks Pastor, might message Spaniard - ah another poor soul who lives the furthest point from the sea possible in the UK!

Thanks Gbguad too, that's really useful info cus I was considering Cagliari just cus the photos look great. I saw a clip on youtube of some bikers going from Alghero to Bosa and the coastline looks pretty sweet so maybe we'll just opt for a little apartment in Alghero and hire a car.

Seems there are a lot of places around Alghero which are just ports (porto ferro, porto torres etc) and just look like a load of concrete and boats :( will keep hunting and post what I find.

dear Brits,
since I've seen you may take direct low cost flights to Alghero (north west Sardinia) from London and Nottingham, here's a copuple of places to go not far from Alghero, recommened by expert spearos I know. So here's some suggestions for places to go not far from the Alghero airport.
town of Castelsardo highly recommended by my friends
where is it?
one hour drive north east of Alghero airport
Google Maps
how does it look like?
castelsardo_04.jpg

the surroundings:
Google. Risultato della ricerca di immagini per http://www.byguide.com/gallery/sep05/bay-castelsardo-1.jpg
spearfishing tips:ù
-bring on a 90/100 cm bandgun AND a short one (50 to 70) band or airgun with 5 pronger tip.
-float with dive flag is mandatory
-watch the boat traffic (in may it's not gonna be so terrible as in summer) and watch the weather it changes pretty suddenly especially from north winds.
-always watch into vertical cracks in the rocks and under "roofs" of rock that's fishy.
where to go (for hunting):
-towards Valledoria (direction east) many easy places to go hunting no boat needed
-between Platamona beach and Castelsardo town many nice entries (Marritza, into water no need of boat.
-from the port/marina of Castelsardo go right towards a place called "Lu Bagnu" (pronounced Loo Banyoo), access to water with no boat necessary, breams, mulletts and giltheads. In front of that, a mile off coast, if you rent a boat you can try a fishy shoal 15 meters deep.
-on the road to a place called Platamona (few kilometers, you may rent a scooter bike or car) in front of a hotel named Rasciada Hotel, find a walking access to the sea (it's steep, you can sea walkable tracks from the road above) good place recommended by local spearos
- search on local maps for Punta Tramontana, nice rocky bottom, dentex, giltheads, maybe amberjacks.
-if you cand rive try places called Isola Rossa, Costa Paradiso, Cala Grande, famous for spearfishing, it isn't too far.
-when you'll be there you will realize it's not so hard to fuind places to go hunting.

-I'm posting one more couple of different places to go during the day of today...stay tuned!

Last edited:
closer to Alghero (20 minutes), recommended by local spearos:
place called Torre del Porticciolo
where to hunt:
hunt under the tower, watch in the cracks, visit the rocks along the coastline,groupers!
beware of north winds, if they raise exit water immediately.
how does it look like?
image040_g.jpg

where is it?google key words Alghero Porticciolo:)

Those places look superb Spaghetti, thanks for all the info, and for that map Blondie.
Happy Easter everyone. Hopefully we'll be booking a trip to the sun... :)

Heya all,
Thanks SO much for all the info :) :) really awesome.
Sorry just 2 more things...
Between Platamona and Lu Bagnu just looks like one long stretch of sandy beach (my old computer keeps crashing Google maps so I can't actually see) – I'l love soaking up the rays here...but the boyf will want the rocky bays. If we booked to stay at the Platamona end (cus it's closer to the airport) are there still rocky bays round there.
Second and hopefully last question...are we allowed to bbq the fish we catch on the beach as long as there's noone around to smoke out, and we don't leave anything behind or scorch the ground?
Thanks again
Blondie

Blondie in facts Platamona is the edge of the "ok zone": the beach is just flat sand and a few rocks. if you like to idea of going to Castlesardo, choose a place more northeastwards: from casopetlsardo to Punta Tramontana, Marritza, Peruledda.
Otherwise, on the other direction to Valledoria and Isola Rossa: my friends say it's okay for spearing.
Anyway I got the best feedback about the zone between Castelsardo and Platamona: good spots are Punta Tramontana, Marritza, Peruledda. In this last village there is a nice resoprt called Rasciada Village hotel which has many good rocky spots for hunting that you can reach just walking. I checked the prices of the Rasciada and they seem reasonable in May.

A few cents worth: i visited alghero with my wife last July, honestly because there were cheap flights from Liverpool Apt. close to where I was staying for a month. It was GREAT. Perfect climate, amazing food, great cafe society people, and prices a lot more reasonable than continental Italy. I can recommend a specific guest house if you would like. PM me.

Now, spearing, hmm, i did some freediving in the area and all I remember were urchins, CLEAR pretty waters, COLD thermoclines, and a few smaller fish. Spagos ideas are 1000x better if thats you plan. Did i mention how cold it was bellow the surface? bfreezing! 3mm suit at least in summer, i would even consider a 5 but i'm a baby.

Have a great time wherever you go and send a nice photo-report!

Azapa it's not normal to find such cool water. It may happen, because the area is exposed to Mistral winds lasting 3 to 5 days (never less), and they always bring on a high thermocline for tow or three days after.
But you haven't been lucky to say the least. The average water temp in may is 18°c along the 24 hours (warnmer du4ing the day). In July the average water temp is 24 degrees much warmer in sunny hours).

Thanks for the tip, I've got a 5/3 for UK waterskiing and a shorty for surfing so I'll take both.

We've finally opted for staying in Porto Conte - mad I know cus it's a national park but the accommodation looks fantastic and cheap and comes with internet and bikes. We've also decided to hire a car than pay for transfers so we'll be able to travel up to the north coast for spearing.

Keep the tips coming, plus anything you want me to find out while I'm there cus I'll post my experiences for future readers.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Porto Conte? Ok it's marine park no spearing) but Torre del Porticciolo is very close (just out of the marine park: spearfishing legal!!!) and I've been recommended this place for spearfishing, both on the left and right of the tower. I'll post something more specific about these locations later.
Hope you'll enjoy it.
More things to know? Vermentino (white wine), Cannonau (red wine), pecorino, sheep milk cheese made in many many ways. fresh, aged, spiced, smoked etc etc etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, I've got a 5/3 for UK waterskiing and a shorty for surfing so I'll take both.

We've finally opted for staying in Porto Conte - mad I know cus it's a national park but the accommodation looks fantastic and cheap and comes with internet and bikes. We've also decided to hire a car than pay for transfers so we'll be able to travel up to the north coast for spearing.

Keep the tips coming, plus anything you want me to find out while I'm there cus I'll post my experiences for future readers.

Cheers :)

Box Jellyfish are the only ones you have to worry about.

Get stung by one of them = dead.

Most jellyfish are harmless and theres like a 0.0000001% chance you will encounter a box jellyfish. (There normaly very deep)

Theres a 80% chance you will probably get stung by a small jellyfish, only painful for a few seconds. I get stung anywhere I go in the MED.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT