• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Saskatchewan jaunts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

feign

Jun 30, 2003
I thought I should start us out here with some discussion on our Saskatchewan trip. I think the thought was to have our first sask outing on May long weekend. I am actually free for more than the long weekend at this time. Here are some facts:

Regulations : this area is central zone. Fishing season opens on May 20. May 20 is the Friday of the long weekend (Canadian version). Still awaiting the printing of the 2006 regulation guide for specific limits.
Fish: two factors I think - cold still and fish are hungry. This means lake trout could be in shallower waters. This time will be the tail end of Walleye spawning.

Lee

I have May 20 off and will be heading up that morning. Maybe we could get in the water for some scouting- hit a few spots, etc, then hunt Saturday Sunday Monday. Let's hope the Trout are available :)
Peace,
Erik

Oops! Yes, I have the Friday booked off.
Peace,
Erik

The other option would be to go into the southern zone around Lloydminster as the fishing will be open May 6 there, so we could spear on the Friday. Although, getting out there, set-up, scouting etc. could take most of the Friday anyway and have us ready for Sat morning.

Lee

I have to be in Rosetown (south of saskatoon) on Saturday for a wedding. Would consider meeting you guys friday if it was somewhere like Lloyds or south of that ;)...

You have a lake in mind for Lloyd, Lee?
Peace,
Erik Y.

Not only am I in for Friday but I may rejoin you sunday morning ;)... I'm thinking right now that I (maybe we - if lydija and spence come) will drive to edmonton thursday and convoy with you friday morning. Then saturday i'll go to rosetown and come up sunday morning to wherever the next stop is.

Do we need reservations for accomodations? Are we camping? Someone PM me witht allll the details.

I had thought about Manitou or Reflex lakes. I think part of Manitou, possibly the lower lake is high salinity and may not support much fish life? I need to get more info on the main lake....

Lee

I couldn't find much info around that area. I still think we should head to meadow lake park just because it's so well spoken of for many reasons, and we have 4 days off to explore that area. Plus a little closer for Stu I think.
Peace,
Erik Y.

I am up for wherever the wind takes us. The spring weather today had me excited.

Lee

We'll be at meadow lake. Got a troupe coming and need to meet them :)

Alright, just so we're clear. You guys are going straight to meadow lake without a stopover in Lloyd's... I might be able to make it up sunday/monday. will let you know

Meadow Lake it is. Bri, whereabouts will you be staying?
Erik

If you are hoping to get trout check on what lakes u are going to cause alot of the trout only lakes open earlier then the rest of the zone. theres a list of them in the saskatchewan anglers guide i know little raspberry and beatty open on may 6 in that area. that way if u get there early enough on the friday u could try for some trout. i go to beatty and there are big splake in there but its like over one hour from were your planning on being.

vessey

Reactions: feign
Thanks for the tip. We should definately check this out. Regardless, big splake has me interested.

lee

Vivian's a trout lake too (rainbow)... it will definitly be open for may long. I'm leaning towards Kimball Lake(washer/dryers) or Vivian Lake (smaller). Next to Kimball lake is Little Raspberry Lake which apparently has splake and cutthroat trout. when i camp in sask, it always pours on me. Dryers might be nice :D

Last edited:
Will we need reservations at a campground for may long weekend?

No reservations needed, fishing opens on the 20th. The CO there thinks Little Rasberry lake has the best clarity, the splake averaging around 4lbs and "not fished much this winter". Third Mustus has good walleye. Kimball's pop has decreased, same with Lac des Isles. There shouldn't be any ice by then too, and 7$/3days firewood. A couple relatives hoping to meet us pulled out, so we're flexible again.

This sounds great. Thanks for checking that out. By which lake is the 7$ camping? We should try to hit both Third Mustus and Little Rasberry.

lee

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT