• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Save Our Sharks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sp9hzx

Spearfishing
Sep 13, 2005
Only 48 hours left to take action guys

https://www.greenpeace.org.au/action/?cid=60&src=SHFB1

=====================
http://spearo.republika.pl
spearfishing.gif

Reactions: foxfish
there is no shortage of sharks in WA...

Green peace has made a massive deal out of the culling of sharks greater then 3m in inshore waters off beaches... there have been multiple fatalities in recent years due to increasing populations with NO fishing pressure. they are talking about reducing large dangerous sharks inshore... it's not the extermination regime green peace would like you to think it is.

Yes, The imperical evidence is that there has been a huge increase of GWS since the protection was placed on them. Only sharks larger than 3m which take a bait of the targeted areas will be killed. Green peace is falsely making milage out of this by calling it a cull (I wish), it's not a cull, its risk abatement, & in no way poses a threat to GWS or tigers which are doing well down here. We lost another spearo to GWS's the weekend before last, the young man had fished in our national titles only a few weeks ago.

I find it interesting that those most opposed to the risk abatement, will never be in a position were themselves or their families will come into contact with these fish.

Cheers Sharkey

Last edited:
I think people need to realize that walking into the ocean from the beach is like walking into a jungle, it's wild and filled with wild life. Enough sharks die daily already I don't see how this going to make a huge a difference in that pace. Then again I feel like illegal finning has done what this is suppose to do. It's there ocean not ours and when we go into it we need to acknowledge that. Humans are the only thing ignorant enough to try and take the oceans instead of sharing them I know it's not going to drive all species of sharks to extinction, it's more symbolic than anything and I feel like that's why it bugs so many people so badly. It's always destroy and regret with humans this just continues the human trend.

I think people need to realize that walking into the ocean from the beach is like walking into a jungle, it's wild and filled with wild life. Enough sharks die daily already I don't see how this going to make a huge a difference in that pace. Then again I feel like illegal finning has done what this is suppose to do. It's there ocean not ours and when we go into it we need to acknowledge that. Humans are the only thing ignorant enough to try and take the oceans instead of sharing them I know it's not going to drive all species of sharks to extinction, it's more symbolic than anything and I feel like that's why it bugs so many people so badly. It's always destroy and regret with humans this just continues the human trend.

These days I spend more time in terrestrial "jungles" than aquatic ones unfortunately, however if there are dangerous animals or animals causing "conflicts" (overpopulation, threats to stock or humans, etc) I also carry a "big gun" & use it as is required. Green peace & their allies try to stop me here too, which is most frustrating as my objectives always revolve around sustainability, maintaining biodiversity & the wise & ethical use of wildlife. I have over four decades now of involvement with conservation & conservation organisations (conservation is a verb in my opinion) & am yet to see the benefits from any animal rights or liberation groups on conservation anywhere. Protectionist conservation is a flawed ideology & is slowly but thankfully being replaced in most areas by adaptive management ones.

Sharkey

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT