• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Say No to Sensitive Trigger Mechs!!!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shaneshac

FIN TRASHER
Oct 8, 2002
Tuesday morning I woke up early for a Solo spearing session:naughty . The weather was perfect but there was a bit of current. For safety I stay within 15 metres depth. I decided to take my Picasso century 110 as the water was a bit murky. Picasso has by far the most sensitive trigger mech I have tested.

After swimming for about an hour without seeing anything decent I decided to patrol a number of sunken barges that can hold some nice sea bass. After a few aspettos on the first one I moved to the second one further out. The deck is at 12 metres which is where i did my first aspetto. The baitfish were acting strangely but for the first 30 seconds I saw nothing. I thought i would turn my head before surfacing when BAM!!!!! there was a huge AJ 20 kilos approx about 50 cm from my face. THe fright it gave me made me clench my hand and shoot my gun in the opposite direction. :waterwork :waterwork :waterwork

The fish gently swam into the depths. Had it not been for the sensitive mech i wouldn't have shot the gun and would have caught my largest AJ to date.

Swam to shore right after that to clean out my suit :D :D

DOH!!!!!!

:head :head :head

Oh man, :D :waterwork. I feel for you man. You will get one Shane, but 20 kilos will be hard on that picasso. It would have probably atleast bent the spear. Anyways, clean up your suit and try again.rofl rofl

Reactions: donmoore
A bent spear I can handle.

Crapped pants is a different story HEHEHEHEHEHE

:D Shane thats a very normal reaction. 2 years ago at a wild boar hunt the same thing happened to me with a 100+kg boar! I throw the gun in a moment and catch it in the air to place a shoot! :D I wish same thing will happen to me some time.

Shaca
It wasn't the trigger...it was your reaction that made the shot! lol!!

I'd like to think that with a less sensitive mech, my convulsion would not have shot the gun and I would have had a dead easy shot on that fish.

A Bad workman always blames his tools ;)

Heh..

WE never have "bad" visibility...If i buy tahiti i can use it every dive:cool: But the only problem i don't know where i can find 20kg AJ:hmm

Originally posted by Memo
:D Shane thats a very normal reaction. 2 years ago at a wild boar hunt the same thing happened to me with a 100+kg boar! I throw the gun in a moment and catch it in the air to place a shoot! :D I wish same thing will happen to me some time.

Yeah i had the same experiance in my first upland hunt. Grey partridge just jump from my foot and i shocked:eek: But of course its not as dangerous as wild boar...:duh When you face it in your mind its not problem anymore any partridge can't fool me;)

Sorry

It's a bummer you didn't get the fish; However, speaking as a good target shooter with a rifle and one who likes a reasonably sensitive trigger, ones finger does not belong inside the trigger guard until one is ready to pull the trigger. Make a concious effort to place your hand in a position on the gun where even an involuntary muscle contraction won't shoot the gun, perhaps with all four fingers and thumb on the handle. No harm done diving solo but your buddy may be there next time.

Guy

Last edited:
I have only used OMER Aluminum to date, but I find that even that trigger is too tough for shooting..
I am comparing it to Finnish Assault rifles we used in the army.. that was sensitive.. There has been many times I have had to pull the trigger so hard it threw my aim.... but I am getting used to that now....

Pekka

IBguy I ahve lost many Bonito for not being completely ready. By ready i mean finger on the trigger/arm extended eyeing down the shaft. The only way you can contemplate catching these fast moving fish.

Caught an Atlantic Little Tunny this morning using this method.

So where are the pictures Shane???? We are all waiting :D

I am always finger on the trigger when I dive for fish.. I mean after my breath up and start, then I move my finger so I am ready to shoot at any time.

Once I shot a fish right after I had turned to dive, I still had my flippers up in the air when I shot... tasty fish too.
I think being ready to shoot is very important specially if shooting fish that are spooked easily or the ones which swim fast.. :hmm

Pekka

No pics of the tunny. My dad had filleted it before I had a chance to unsheath the camera :)

Said they had to bleed :confused

Heheee...

Didn't your shaft bleed it enough:t

I think bleeding makes meat quality better:confused: My dad also says that bleed thing for chickens (ones without hands but wings):eek: :eek: It also may cause from religious matters..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT