• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Scotland Spearfishing 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

grantl

Dec 5, 2005
Thought it's maybe time we started a 2012 thread, not that I've managed to get out yet!

If anyone is interested in the Guernsey meet I've got my plane tickets booked from Edinburgh and they're £140 rtn. to land at around 8ish on the Fri night and back home on Sunday p.m. Of course I've booked an extra seat for all those big Silver Fish to make the journey back north with me :D

Anyone else up for it?

http://forums.deeperblue.com/deeper...erblue-com-announce-guernsey-meet-2012-a.html

Hey Grant. Where abouts are you based? I am in the Glasgow area. I have been up in Scotland for a year and a half now and have only been into the water once and I should have left my gun at home. I used to live on the South coast and was a frequent visitor into the mighty English channel trying to cull some bass. What type of fish have you gotten in the Scottish waters? Cheers

I'm down in SE Scotland.
Spearing up here will certainly be a bit different from the Channel I'd imagine.
We don't tend to have such a diversity of species to hunt but saying that we've got some good fishing for Pollack, flatties, lobster and shellfish in some areas. Cod are also plentiful here but tbh I've not managed any real success with them. Hoping to change that this summer :)
There's a few active Spearos near you - hopefully someone with better local knowledge of your area can suggest some good marks to try.

Cheers

Grant

Hi Grant
Did you say you live in Edinburgh? if so i do a lot of spearfishing in the summer months,
i live in Dunbar and normally start about april with some mates, we have good knowledge of the local area, and enjoy good sport. if you fancy a days fishing send me a pm.
cheers
Dave k.

Hi Dave

I'm down in the Borders and generally dive from Berwick and further South but I do work in Ed so could easily look at getting something sorted after April.
Lets hope we get a nice summer this year, i think it must be due ???

Cheers

Grant

Aloha folks!
With my new and improved bigger belly I think my wetsuit will fit me now ;)
Been a long time but definitely up for getting out and getting some practice in.
Still in Edinburgh and will be here till july and back sometime in August. Determined to get some fish.

I'd love to mate but unfortunately I'm flying to Capetown tomorrow night for 3 weeks diving in the sun :) :)

2 weeks ago the sea temp was a balmy 7.5 degrees at Berwick - perfect 'ice cream head' conditions in a 5mm suit!

Hopefully catch you in April for a dive on the East somewhere.

Cheers

Grant

let us know of your diving n fishy friends won't ya bud?lucky bugger!

Good time of your scaly catchers! I'm going this summer Arbrout for a few months, who can hunt in those areas or near Dundee? And in what month, preferably the water is clear?

Im up working in Irvine for a week or so is there anywhere to get in up that way ? then i should be back for another couple of weeks a few weeks later.Any good vis on the west coast?

Got my RA 100 through the post yesterday. What a gun!
Any one fancy heading out next week in the vain search for fish?
Thinking Torness breakwater or similar as structures may hold fish. Failing that if it is high tide there may be bass around the outflow.

Hi Denian. Joe Rai was out about Irvine way but vis was only 1m! Fingers crossed it improves.
Cheers

Michael

Ta mabster who's Joe Rai I've just been down to Troon to have a look round the other side of the harbour it was getting dark n I don't know the area at all .I will be back in a few weeks I may bring my spearing stuff with me.

Had a drive up around Saltcoats and Ardrossan it was fresh and getting dark but had some good spots when calmer .has any fished this area?

Sure am - got home last night and looking forward to going to work tomorrow :-(
Got a few fishy vids that I'll post shortly. Next weekends diving is going to be a bit Brrrrr I think.

I'll pm you tomorrow re. Irvine.

Cheers

Grant

Getting in this Saturday just south of the border. I hope the weather holds for the next few days!

Last edited:
Where you going in then Dafydd roughly speaking st abbs way?Im looking at the rocks off royal troon golf course me self when im up in a few weeks least the nights will be lighter tho it might be snowing again by then???

Getting in this Saturday just south of the border. I hope the weather holds for the next few days!

Where are you heading Dafydd? I'm planning getting out on Sat as well to see if there are any early Turbot around 'just South of the Border'.

Cheers

Grant

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT