• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

scuba pro spear-gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I have 2. They were made from 80 to 85. according to a scubapro rep. thats been around for many years. I am very satisfied with these guns. From time to time you will see one on ebay. The last one I purchased was about 6 weeks ago. It was the shorter one. If you can find one, get it. This gun was way ahead of it's time. I have modified the shaft for 2 5/8 riffe bands. The original bands were 1/2 and not enough power.
I almost started to bid on another panther but 2 is good for me.
sometimes you can get a deal on ebay for $70 or you can go up to $150.
Thats about where I would stop. Depending on the condition.
Good luck

Yeah, I'm gettin the shaft for about $30 shipped.

$30 shipped? that is insane! Im getting robbed! 60-70$ for my shafts!

So your telling me that your shaft is worth 15X what the gun is worth?:blackeye

$205 guns and $30 shafts? Now that's my kind of tool :)
Are these guns sinkers or closer to neutrally buoyant in the water?

Hey slingshaft,
How did I mod. the shaft? All you do is take a dremmel tool or a file and round off the corners so they are not so sharp. I used my dremmel tool to buff out any scratches. It was amazing how this small mod. did to this gun. more power and super quiet.

Dear rg_garcia,
I have a 45" Scubapro Panther. What length Riffe bands would you recommend for the 3/8" spear? - 17" and 18" ? Where did you buy the Riffe bands you use?

Regards,
Argo (Craig) :blackeye

Craig, there is a formula for working that out: Measure the distance from the hole the bands go through in the muzzle to the furthest notch on the shaft. Double this measurement then subtract the length of the wishbone. Now divide the remaining length by the ratio of band stretch you want (between 3 and 4), this will be the size of band you want.

Dear Pastor,
Thanks for the formula! I'll let you know what configuration I work out (band diameter and length, spear specs, wishbone size etc.)

Regards,
Argo (Craig)

hey ive just got a scuba pro panther 45" for $50 from a friend .. dose any 1 have any tips ..im 17 and this weekend will be my 1st time shooting it .. so i would be greatfull for tips .. thanks .. Rick =]

Hey guys I have an old Panther Scuba Pro three band gun that the locking piece broke and wont lock my shaft in place. Where can I get a replacementy part. I'm kind of attached to the gun!

Rick in Santa Barbara

Hey guys I have an old Panther Scuba Pro three band gun that the locking piece broke and wont lock my shaft in place. Where can I get a replacementy part. I'm kind of attached to the gun!

Rick in Santa Barbara

Could you post a picture of the broken part ?
http://stores.ebay.com/aaron-osters?_trksid=p4340.l2563... This guy sells new ones, but he may have a new mech. I believe he purchased the Scuba Pro Panther tooling.
Thanks Don Paul

Last edited:
Hello Guys,
I don't know if this post of mine will get any replies but I recently acquired a speargun from ScubaPro that I believe is more than 30 or 40 years old. I think the name of the speargun is ScubaPro Panther.
The same exact speargun is still sold by this brand called Bandito.

1) The speargun I purchased has a few things missing on it. The rubber power bands, slide ring and the rubber butt loading pad. I would like to know if the later two missing components are availiable as spare parts to be purchased online and will it be delivered internationally? If not, what can I use as an alternative?

2) Furthermore, where can I find the official specs of this speargun? I would like to know what is the min - max shaft thickness this speargun can handle. To add to that, I am also trying to find out what is the maximum rubber power band thickness and configuration it can handle.

3) I have noticed that this speargun does not have an eyehole or a provision to attach it to my buoy. This means I will have to drill a hole on it's body and tie a dyneema cord around it to which I can then tie my buoy. I would like to know where would be the ideal spot to drill this hole without compromising the structural integrity.

4) Can this speargun use a sharkfin shaft without getting stuck or damaging the muzzle on it way out after shooting? If using a sharkfin shaft, will I be able to add it to a break away rig? This is my first open muzzle speargun.

Thanks you for all the help in advance.

Parts diagram
Scubapro Panther schematic.jpg

Scubapro Panther parts.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT