• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

scuba pro spear-gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mateusz h2o

Mar 4, 2008
just wanted to know if anyone has any info on this spear gun, what i mean is ideal environment, power, distance, add-ons, etc.

here is the specific gun im talking about.

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/Scuba-Pro-Spear-Gun_W0QQitemZ270216669629QQihZ017QQcategoryZ47353QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Scuba Pro Spear Gun - eBay (item 270216669629 end time Mar-07-08 21:49:46 PST)[/ame]

any info will be help full

Don't quote me on this but I seem to remember hearing that they were pretty decent guns in their time. I think the shaft is a special fitting so standard ones won't fit but I believe Ray Odor Spearfishing Supplies by Ray Odor can make some to fit if you have the original. But don't quote me, I may well have that wrong

The gun is a 1970s design, solid plastic stock, almost indestructable, very high quality gun. Very expensive in its day. They had the reputation of being quite accurate, but that was an old standard. Probably not as quiet or as accurate as a good gun of recent design. A couple of friends had them and were very satisfied, but I never got a chance to use the gun.

Connor

Just moved this thread into the Hunting Equipment section.

Cheers,
Ben

thanks for the replies guys, i bought the same gun as the one shown and just wanted to know how other people liked it. ive only gone diving with it 3 times just becuse i bought it late in the season last year. but hope to do alot more diving comeing up soon

Hey Mateusz, I have several of these ScubaPro Panthers. I like everything about them. The high nylon content of the gun has a deadening effect on noise,and the intregral 'rail' insures accuracy. The trigger mechanism and nocking sear assembly is of high quality hardened metals. The open muzzle allows the option to use shark fin shafts, this of course lets you use non metal wishbones. I canvas all the pawn shops relentlessly looking for spearguns.Some people collect coins, I collect spearguns! I've passed on buying more JBL aluminum guns, but I buy every Panther I find. They were so far ahead of their time,they are still better than all but the high end wood guns.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the nocking end of the gun, as Pastor mentioned,the design is a little unusual, but since the gun is a 'Euro' style, the shaft has a 'half round' shape, and the vertical notch cut into the very end of the shaft, keeps the shaft from turning over. 'Muy Bueno'

Last edited:
This has to be my all time favorite gun :thankyou:thankyou

Last edited:
This has to be my all time favorite gun :thankyou:thankyou
im gonna have to agree i really liked this gun the first few times i have went out with it. didnt catch anything significant just a few calico, do you know the range? but more importantly the effective power range of the gun?

AH! Slingshaft, I knew I'd heard about these guns somewhere, could I remember! :( How are you doing mate? :)

Hi Steve, I'm doing fine, thank you. I'm starting to find my way around this site,it's everything you said it was :wave :) One other thing I like about these Panthers is that they are relatively quiet. The shaft has three notches,so you can use three 9/16ths slings. I use two 5/8ths thickness bands, one held in the upper spreader,and one hanging loose in the lower holder. ( this helps shoot a really flat trajectory ) The gun has about a 17 to 20 inch band pull length, so I like quite short slings. I reccomend unequal size slings, since there is several inches between the first and third notch. I figure with two powerful bands I have the choice of using the first and second notch, or the second and third depending upon the range, and the amount of penetration needed. Change the factory slide ring to a low drag version.

Man a guy on the boat diving withus last summer had one of these, but the short one. I just found the longer one on ebay, and got outbid, $79...with only 3 seconds to go.

I want one of these guns, they are made with the same materials as a composite rifle or shotgun stock, indefreakinstructable.

As heavy duty as the stock is, and the trigger mech appears to be, I think you could put some way shorter bands, (and thicker of course) and get some incredible range out of this. The one this guy had had a 3/8th inch shaft, so whip wouldn't be a problem.

Anybody wanting to sell one of the 45" ones?

I got one for $2, but I know nothing about it! :)
NewCamera048b.jpg

Hey Bake, here is a little more detail about the nocking arrangement of the Panther shaft.

Last edited:
The width of the notch at the end of the shaft is 3/16 of an inch,the depth of the notch is 3/16 of an inch, the shaft of course is a 5/16 in thickness. The width of the half round 'nocking groove' is 5/16 of an inch. the distance from the center (bottom) of the half round to the end of the shaft is 3/4 of an inch. With a 5/16 round or half round file, and a hack saw, secure the shaft in a vice, and measure and mark.You can practice on a piece of scrap rod first,before you modify an existing shaft. I recommend using an air powered or electric "Dremel" type tool. The little cutoff wheel makes an easy job of fashioning the end notch. Then with a flat file round off the corners on the end.

Nice going! I called George Campbell at 1 888 901 5780. The web address is Deep-Six Home Page The Panther has been picked up from Scubapro by Bandito Spearguns. He sells the 45 inch Panther complete for $205.00, this includes shipping.:thankyouThe store is located in New Paltz,New York.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT