• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Scuba Tank Inflator for Pneumatic Guns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Diving Gecko

shooter & shooter
Jun 24, 2008
Hi all,
As I keep taking my guns apart all the time - yeah, I have too much time for that and too little for diving - I have been thinking about a way to not have to pump the guns manually.

Obviously, the fridge pump solution is great and affordable and I will likely make one in the future but I also wanted something portable.

For a while I tried to see if I could find a small electrical pump that could get to the pressures needed and would be small enough to travel with but no luck so far.

I realized, thinking back, that when I travel I am never far from a scuba tank so I want to use that as a source.

Both Mares, Omer and Salvimar offer commercial versions of a scuba inflator but they are not cheap. Mares' is actually the cheapest (around E 100) but you need a first stage regulator to make it work. The others work as they are, but are 2-2.5 times more expensive.

I am a bit in luck since my older brother works in a small company which services and builds air-conditioning test units, so he had some parts lying around which could be put to good use.

This is still in the FrankenRig phase and could be tidied up a tad by swapping some parts. But for now it works and has been tested to about 45 bar. But the first change I will do is to change the hose to a proper high pressure hose.

The main ingredient here is the over pressure relief valve. It is adjustable and I set it to vent at 34 bar - as I would need this setup for my Mirage(s), too. This is an important safety function as the scuba tanks often hold about 200 bar.

Oh, almost forgot - what made me finally go for this was when I realized that Salvimar sells the pump inlet valve fittings as loose items. This is perfect because it meant, I did not have to get one custom made and it also means, if you have, say, both Salvi, Cressi and Mares guns it is easy just to swap the pump fitting and one inflator (or fridge pump) will work for most guns.
The pump fittings cost E 15 each.

In the end, making this yourself is actually not that cheap, but I did it because I could source many parts for free.
I had to buy the yoke connector to the scuba tank but I got for about E 15 in China.
This particualr over pressure relief valve can be had for 10-20 USD on Ebay.

The whole thing weighs about 900 grams. Not too bad, but I wish it was even lighter - but def lighter than lugging a fridge pump with me;-)

OLEO_INFLATOR_SCUBA_V1_01_1440PIX.jpg

Here is the beast in all it's FrankenBeauty.
The hose will be changed to a proper high pressure hose next.

OLEO_INFLATOR_SCUBA_V1_02_1440PIX.jpg

The over pressure relief valve is made out of brass and seen to the left of the pressure gauge. You adjust it with an allen key but there is no scale, so it's a bit of trial and error but nothing major at all.

OLEO_INFLATOR_SCUBA_V1_03_1000PIX.jpg
OLEO_INFLATOR_SCUBA_V1_04_1000PIX.jpg

I had to do some quick and rough trimming of the Salvimar pump fitting as it was just a tiny bit too big to go straight into the Mirage.

A few practical notes if any of you are setting out to make something similar:
The Salvimar fitting is a straight G1/4 female thread (not NPT/tapered).
The relief valve I used is a SWAGELOK B-4CPA2-350.

Last edited:
Reactions: grantl
Wow!
I just tried it for the first time.
This gotta be the best thing I ever treated myself to! Well, almost...;-)

I am SO done with hand pumping these guns. It took about 10 secs to fill my Seac Hunter 90 to 20 bar as opposed to 30 mins by hand. All very controlled, all very easy.

The coolest thing about this is that I never have to think twice about pulling a gun apart out of fear of the pumping job.

This, or a fridge pump, for people who like to service and tinker with their guns is now 100% recommended.

The ScubaOleoFill (I had to give it some sort of name...) has worked great without issue.

I don't think I will ever go back to hand pumping a gun if I can at all avoid it. I would def make a fridge compressor-based version of this had I not had easy access to scuba tanks.

I swapped out the two tees for a cross and founder a smaller pressure gauge. Slimmed the whole setup down by 150g, so we are now at 750g.
SCUBAFILL_V1.2_01_800PIX.jpg
SCUBAFILL_V1.2_02_800PIX.jpg
SCUBAFILL_V1.2_03_800PIX.jpg
SCUBAFILL_V1.2_04_800PIX.jpg

There's a V2 in the works.
Based off of a scuba refill gadget for paintball guns and pre-charged pneumatic rifles.
Since it is made from a block of milled aluminum, I should be able to get it even lighter than the chunky one above.

It looks like the one below, except I ordered mine with a shorter hose:
SCUBA_PAINTBALL_06.jpg

I'll find a bigger pressure gauge with a more suitable range and then I'll drill and tap a hole in the side of it so I can add the over-pressure valve.

Stay tuned, shouldn't take too long...:)

Last edited:
Thanks Gecko... very interesting report, looking forward to V2!

I've been looking for something similar myself... that paintball refill adaptor looks perfect... rugged, compact and with a well protected gauge. No problem bumping around in the dive bag.

I reckon a compact ruggedised over-pressure valve would be the best... have you seen the GOE-810 overpressure valves?

They are compact (the 1/4" BSP version is only 61mm long in the body, with a 12mm threaded section) and available in a broad range of preset pressures from 0.2 BAR to 50 BAR.

Attachments

• GOE-810 Series Safety Valve - Data Sheet No. 13.16.pdf
    70.5 KB · Views: 286
Reactions: Diving Gecko
Thanks for the find on the valve!
I like it, and have been looking for more options. But the Swagelok that I am using is actually smaller than the GOE-810. The Swagelok is about 41mm long with 1/4NPT threads though it might look bigger in the pics.

I can't figure out if the GOE valve is adjustable by the user like the Swagelok? The Swagelok can be set to vent at 24 - 42bar with an Allen key. Either way, they are both good options. Personally, I would just decide on price and availabiltiy as they seem so close in specs.

The pic of the paintball refill adapter might have taken you for a spin as the pressure gauge is in no way built into the alu part or particularly protected. It is just really tiny. But its range is utterly useless (app. 0-350 bar). Here's another pic:
SCUBA_PAINTBALL_03.jpg

I am am pretty sure I can not find anything that small in the proper range and even if I could I prefer a slightly larger dial for easy readings.
So, unfortunately, the gauge will eventually stick out quite a bit but I am not too worried about it - they are pretty sturdy.

Last edited:
OK, so the last few bits and bobs arrived today and it didn't take long to whip it into shape.

I drilled an 11.1mm hole on the side of the adapter, opposite of the bleed valve and tapped it for the 1/4NPT safety over-pressure valve. Then I unscrewed the micro pressure gauge that it came with and swapped it for one more suited for my range. The thread on the gauge is 1/8NPT. So is the hose connection but I don't know what the bleed valve is. Finally, I mounted the 1/8NPT male quick coupling fitting via a 1/8-1/4 adapter to the pump valve fitting.

As you can tell, the pressure gauge is a bit of a sore thumb even though it is a 40mm dial version as opposed to the 60mm I had on the V1. It sticks out a lot, but it is really sturdy and I am not too worried about it breaking off in transport or use.
SCUBA_OLEO_FILL_V2_01_1000PIX.jpg

SCUBA_OLEO_FILL_V2_02_800PIX.jpg

SCUBA_OLEO_FILL_V2_03_1000PIX.jpg

SCUBA_OLEO_FILL_V2_04_1000PIX.jpg
SCUBA_OLEO_FILL_V2_05_1000PIX.jpg
SCUBA_OLEO_FILL_V2_06_1000PIX.jpg

As it is now, it weighs in at just under 500g and I should be very happy as I started at 900g on the V1. I even think I said to myself early on, that 500g would be nice enough.
SCUBA_OLEO_FILL_V2_08_800PIX.jpg

Going to a smaller gauge and tidying up the pump end connections perhaps by having a custom fitting made which goes straight from pump thread to a quick coupling male or just dropping the quick couplings all together, I could probably save another 80g - 100g.
SCUBA_OLEO_FILL_V2_09_800PIX.jpg
SCUBA_OLEO_FILL_V2_10_800PIX.jpg

The steel braided hose is not light either, so the most light weight setup would be to loose the hose completely and just mount the pump valve fitting straight onto the alu adapter itself. I do think that is a viable option. Especially if the pump fitting is mounted facing up so there is less leverage on the gun when screwed into the fitting.

For now, I will go with the hose and keep the quick coupling. The latter works like a swivel so I can screw the pump fitting into a gun while the whole setup is mounted on the scuba tank. Screwing in the pump fitting instead of having to turn the gun itself onto the thread is much, much easier, I think.

One final addition I might make to this is to have a plug machined for this adapter. It would have an o-ring and take the place where the scuba tank would normally go. This way, I could plug the adapter, screw it into a gun and take a pressure reading without having to mount the adapter on a tank.
SCUBA_OLEO_FILL_V2_07_1000PIX.jpg

Obviously because of the hose and the air spaces in the alu body, I would loose some air in the gun every time I took a reading like this. But hopefully it wouldn't be too bad and it would be a nice function to have. Going "hose less" would mitigate the air-loss issue.

Cost-wise, I am bit spoiled living in China where all this can be had cheap but actually, the scuba fill adapter itself is only about 20-25 USD incl. shipping on AliExpress which ships worldwide and sellers speak English. The rest of the stuff I got on Taobao which is Chinese and a mix of Ebay and Amazon. Also, the safety valve is expensive from new but as mentioned above was gifted to me from my brother's box of tricks and treats;).

Costs for the ScubaOleoFill V2
Scuba Fill for Paintball guns: $21 (AliExpress)
Salvimar Pump Fitting: $17
Safety Valve: $9-20 (Ebay)
Pressure Gauge: $5 (Taobao)
Thread Adapter: $1.5 (Taobao)
Tools (drill and tap): $7.5 (Taobao)
Total: $61-72 (depending on price of the safety valve)

Last edited:
Here is a quick and rough video of me using the Scuba Oleo Fill adapter to "pump" my Hunter 90 to 18 bar in about 6-7 secs. Disregard some of the audio as that is just me telling my friend to start and then later to keep recording;-)

ScubaOleoFill As a Standalone Pressure Gauge
An update to this thread as now that I have a lathe, I finally got around to making the plug I mentioned two summers ago:

One final addition I might make to this is to have a plug machined for this adapter. It would have an o-ring and take the place where the scuba tank would normally go. This way, I could plug the adapter, screw it into a gun and take a pressure reading without having to mount the adapter on a tank.
View attachment 42298

Obviously because of the hose and the air spaces in the alu body, I would loose some air in the gun every time I took a reading like this. But hopefully it wouldn't be too bad and it would be a nice function to have. Going "hose less" would mitigate the air-loss issue.

The plug is a super simple but something that is really nice to have as with it, the filling adapter can be used as a standalone pressure gauge. Since I travel with this adapter plus a regular gauge, I can now leave the latter at home. Only if I know I wont be around any scuba shops would I consider leaving the ScubaOleoFill at home, save a few hundred grams and just bring a pressure gauge.

Anyways, here are the pics.
Hooking up the ScubaFill without a tank to just take a reading was impossible before:
N0YsZXh.jpg

TBfql2o.jpg

This tiny plug sitting in the middle, where the scuba tank valve would normally go does the magic:
EYrUSPq.jpg

tLBOKRS.jpg

Really not much to it, but here are a few more details:
M9zMhCZ.jpg

hiuF2ne.jpg

I could have knurled it, too just for the added grip, but since I also added a little string to secure it to the adapter, it's not really needed:
Kj3h8G8.jpg

4FzCow6.jpg

As for the loss of air when taking a reading, it's surprisingly little, maybe less than 0.5bar. The "dead" airspace isn't that big, I guess. More important is to have the length of the pin opening the valve as short as possible. This way, when you unscrew the gauge, the valve will close before the o-ring looses its seal and no air will be lost. It's not easy to get this dialed in perfectly but this is why I want an adjustable pin. It is also why I have modified the pump measurements a bit to push the o-ring seat more forward than in the original designs.

Last edited:
Finally Done
I managed to rescue my titanium pump adapter which I had broken a tap in and re-tap it for an adjustable pin. So, I think the pump adapter is as good as finished now:
VEaCQvi.jpg

The adjustable pin does exactly what I hoped it would do. I can now dial it in so the ball valve closes completely before the seal breaks when I unscrew the gauge.

So Far - A Mini Review
Since I have used the ScubaFill on about three trips by now, I can add a mini review.
In short, making one has definitely been worth it. I have to disassemble my guns completely to leave this country and then, obviously, put them back together again on the destination. It's so incredibly nice just taking 20 secs (check the video above) or less to pump it back up instead of the manual way. And no, I don't hunt on scuba, but I normally travel to places with lots of scuba shops around.
The little bleed valve works great as well. It is very easy and convenient to bleed slowly and hit whatever pressure you are aiming for.
All in all, if you need/like to tamper with your guns and have scuba tanks around you, this is a nifty little device to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fibonacci
So Far - A Mini Review
Since I have used the ScubaFill on about three trips by now, I can add a mini review.
In short, making one has definitely been worth it. I have to disassemble my guns completely to leave this country and then, obviously, put them back together again on the destination. It's so incredibly nice just taking 20 secs (check the video above) or less to pump it back up instead of the manual way. And no, I don't hunt on scuba, but I normally travel to places with lots of scuba shops around.
The little bleed valve works great as well. It is very easy and convenient to bleed slowly and hit whatever pressure you are aiming for.
All in all, if you need/like to tamper with your guns and have scuba tanks around you, this is a nifty little device to have.

Looks really good now Gecko, great clear pics too... thanks for sharing and taking on the R&D journey :cool:
May I ask where you sourced the pressure gauge on TaoBao?
I need something similar for another SCUBA project...

Looks really good now Gecko, great clear pics too... thanks for sharing and taking on the R&D journey :cool:
May I ask where you sourced the pressure gauge on TaoBao?
I need something similar for another SCUBA project...
Just the gauge or the adapter thing?
I can certainly dig up the link for the gauges, but the thing about Taobao is that the vendors might not be geared towards selling to outside of China. AliExpress, yes but perhaps not Taobao. Do you have anyone in China that goes to Oz regularly that could bring it to you?

For what its worth, I think that the record-keeping organizations require that a gun be cocked by human power. It certainly wouldn't be a concern for me and I doubt that it would for 99% of spearfishermen, but I just thought I should mention it so that no one would be surprised.

Just the gauge or the adapter thing?
I can certainly dig up the link for the gauges, but the thing about Taobao is that the vendors might not be geared towards selling to outside of China. AliExpress, yes but perhaps not Taobao. Do you have anyone in China that goes to Oz regularly that could bring it to you?
Thanks Gecko!
The gauge primarily... I cannot seem to get the right range on eBay.
I have some Chinese work colleagues in Nanjing, one of them may be able to order it and send or give it to the next AU team member visiting?

For what its worth, I think that the record-keeping organizations require that a gun be cocked by human power. It certainly wouldn't be a concern for me and I doubt that it would for 99% of spearfishermen, but I just thought I should mention it so that no one would be surprised.

That's a good point. Personally, I am a bit in two minds about some of the record fish anyways, but that's just me. But if I was a trophy seeking spearo, I would just pump up my guns by hand - it doesn't really take that long. It's just a luxury not having to do it;-)

Thanks Gecko!
The gauge primarily... I cannot seem to get the right range on eBay.
I have some Chinese work colleagues in Nanjing, one of them may be able to order it and send or give it to the next AU team member visiting?

Sounds good. I don't mind at all doing the ordering and having it shipped to Nanjing or someone there can do it. The vendor doesn't speak English. I think he is an OEM but for our quantities you have to go with what he already has on the shelves, so you may need to be a tad flexible.

Let's PM and see what we can figure out.

All best,
David

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT