• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sea lice! What do you do ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Aquiles

King of the Kup KK04'
Sep 19, 2001
Well, its the season for the wonderful mating of the thimble jellyfish. Let me tell you I was out this weekend and got tagged!!! I am just wondering what some of you do around the world to combat these little buggers. I know that they are not in all waters but the sure as hell are in Florida. The biggest problem is that with each exposure the reaction gets worse. I am anxious to see how you guys get around this nusance

Thanks
:blackeye
Aquiles

baby jellies

ran into some in Belize last year in May. Locals use windex and vinegar to stop the irritation. It seems they are worse when a wetsuit is worn. My dive bubby wore his "poormans dive suit" aka Nomex coveralls and never felt a thing. It was really bad on my neck and under my arms. After a few shots of Mezcal back at the lodge the pain quickly went away. Sometimes you just have to deal with a little pain.

aquiles, you ever call me "bubby" and you're a dead qbn! :D

i heard there's a vinegar based suppository out there. you might want to give that a shot. or better yet, just stay out of the water and wait for me! :friday

Reactions: Aquiles
It seems they concentrate around the openings in wetsuits, therefore the next logical step would be not to wear one. Also I've heard that NH4 will neutralize the stings. Question: which body fluid contains this...huummm?
OK so there you are, quietly descending to the bottom(naked). You spot a huge grouper so you duck behind a coralhead (remember dear readers that FL has tons of Fire Coral..can anyone see where this is going?), forgetting about your surroundings you slowly stalk the wiley beast. Just as you line up for the shot of a lifetime your family jewels suddenly feel like someone has doused them w/ lighterfluid and used a flare to set them on fire. You rocket to the surface, loosing your gun and nearly passing out from the pain. There, Anderson is on the boat replacing the dynema on his bands again(inside joke). You jump in the boat and start running in circles. Through all the confusion Anderson finally realises what has happened and graciously offers to "hose you off", where having no other recourse you reluctantly accept. During the confusion neither of you realize that there is a local media helicopter flying by and before you know it you're both being asked to appear on Jerry Springer. So the moral to this story...well there really isn't one. Just think of it this way, if you've got sealice then at least you're divin', and the water must be pretty warm. Sorry Aquiles I couldn't pass this one up. Take care. BTW: I talked to your mom last night, did she tell you. No funny ideas Sven.
Jay

Reactions: Aquiles and andrsn
Uhm .....

Do you use lube (on your suit)?

If you do, try using something like hand soap - apply liberaly around the cuffs of your suit, it should help.

What about citronella oil? What would the effects be on your suit? Anyone know??

little bastards!

I'm a rescue swimmer by profession here in south Texas.
We use meat tenderizer when we get attacked. Lots O' jellies here!

Well,

Jay I must say that was a real nice story that you wrote there. I only winced about fourty times remembering a little encounter I had with sea lice and a pair of shorts. It felt like I got pepper sprayed on my crotch.:crutch I must say that is not a nice thing. As far as andy replacing his bands I think that he should instruct a course on that considering his masterful efficiency at preparing those bands. He puts blood sweat and tears into those bands, literally. (Did you know that he left me a booby trap. He left the razor open in the bag with the band stuff in it; while I was on the phone with him I sliced my finger only to have the damn gringo laugh at me. :blackeye) We can call his clinic, the performance finger lopping and band making clinic. (inside joke).
As far as talking to my mother I know that you were on your best behavior:D That whole diving naked thing and you has me rather intrigued? (my poor mother) It was impossible to try and convince you to get into a wonderful and comfortable speedo so would this mean that you would rather be "free" and dive? Is Jay turning a new leaf? I remember that whole covering up with a towel thing while changing on the boat. Must have been all the testosterone on board. Maybe it was stage fright? Ask anderson about that rofl

If you really want to laugh, I returned that leaky mask that i had on that trip; they sent me another and that one leaks too.:kingIf it were not for bad luck I would have no luck at all.:duh

Re: Uhm .....

Originally posted by SASpearo
Do you use lube (on your suit)?

What about citronella oil? What would the effects be on your suit? Anyone know??

I think that oils, especially something like citronella and neoprene don't really get along if you know what I mean. I don't think that It's too good for the material.

Jay and Aquile's mom??!!

Keep all oils and especially citronella away from neoprene- it's a great way to weaken the bonds on the seams and you get that stuff soaked into any kind of metallic liner, ala Picasso or Henderson, you got another style of suit when you take it off, the kind without the metallic lining!

I'm beginning to wonder about the "comraderie" on board that Keys trip lads... I'm off to by a lock for my bedroom door.

So he's the man with bands eh? I'll have him shorten my rock gun bands then. Give himsomthing to do after he pounds the meat:martial, and does the dishes. of course if Aaron wants a story read, he can do the bands after.

Jay and Aquile's Mother?? Now that I want to hear about!

sven

if colorado had sea lice, i'd be in no pain! bout pissed myself reading these, you freaks!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT