• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

sea sickness

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Nicholas Pieper

Apr 30, 2001
There I was, in one of my favorite local spots: swell moderate, vis. good... I had been waiting for days. Yet, after no more than 45 min. of diving I began to get sea sick. Symptoms: nausia, dizziness, general feeling of weakness stemming from the two. I'm fairly new to the sport, but this is only the second time that this has happened in about 12 dives. Both times were caused by rocking in mildly turbulent water as I was catching my breath and both times I ended up having to leave the water early and lay on the beach as if deeply hung-over. Why does this happen and, more importantly, what can I do to prevent it in the future?

I have suffered from sea sickness while in the water and my personal choice is to take 1-2 ginger capsules about an hour or so before diving. No side effects and they seem to work very well for me. You can typically get them at just about any health food store.

Hope this helps,

Ginger worked well for me also. Swell has been about 8ft here as of late and I am slowy getting used to choppy seas. Concentrate on breathing. Move your head around as little as possible. I focus on a point directly below me and slowly rotate my head only if I must. I am going to try a sailor trick of eating nothing but canned peaches prior to diving. I hear it tastes the same coming up as going down-mmmmmm :)

Warmly,

Octo

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT