• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

sea worthy GPS unit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

irtrogdor

Oct 27, 2007
I'm looking at the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/GARMIN-010-00309-00-Personal-Navigation-Unit/dp/B00006J6SA/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1LGEX0UVUXR4O&colid=2NV3HN5H1TNJA"]Garmin GPS72[/ame] and the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMap-76-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B00005B4BJ/ref=pd_cp_e_1?pf_rd_p=413863501&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00006J6SA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1WVW2D1KGSGTGQ1MXYA3"]Garmin GPSmap76.[/ame] The main use would be to mount it on a kayak or float to direct me to my fishy spots where there aren't good waypoints.
what areas are mapped by WAAS? For some reason I doubt that the oceans of baja are covered... So assuming that I can't use WAAS, how accurate are these little units? to 15'? 20'?
when using a unit like this for kayaking, how important is the mapping feature? I would think that while using it at sea it wouldn't be as important to know exactly where you "walked" to get to where you are (I can see how a map would be useful for hiking or something though).

basically it rolls down to this. which of these units would be the most useful for casual kayaking?

if you have a different unit in the same price range that you'd reccomend, feel free to show off.

I have the Garmin GPS72. Great device and very reliable. they say that most gps are only acurate to within 50 ft. You should be able to get maps for just about anywhere. Its just that they are expensive.

I actually have both of those units. Function is pretty much the same. Other than a few aids to navigation, such as lights, there isnt a whole lot of maritime features on the GPS units (at least not stock) I depend on either coordinates I punch in, or get of a paper chart. Best thing to do is get a paper chart, and then load in the #s of the spots you want to hit. I like them. They get me where I want to go, seem durable (can survive punching out throught the surf in my kayak) and run off AA batteries. They have several differnt display modes, but my favorite is in head up mode(what I call it), which shows course, course to steer, distance and speed. I have two because I bought one for my kayak a few years back, and the second one came with ny skiff when I aquired that. I think they are good, but they are all I have used, so I guess I dont know any better.
Boyd,
Imperial Beach,
CA

when diving from yak, do you really like the mapping feature on the 76? or is it the same experience without it?

when I bought a new GPS unit for my boat, charts were a high priority. Having used it for a few years, I now think they are nice, but not necessary. I very rarely look at the chart screen when i am out on the water. I have charts on my PC, and simply upload the numbers of any spot I am interested in to my unit.
By the way, WAAS is not a type of mapping. It stands for Wide Area Augmentation System and is a system using ground based transmitting stations in N America which increases to accuracy of GPS in areas it covers (similiar to the old differential GPS that was used before selective availabilty was turned off)
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Area_Augmentation_System]Wide Area Augmentation System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

cheers
dave
Spearguns by Spearo uk ltd finest supplier of speargun, monofins, speargun and freediving equipment

when diving from yak, do you really like the mapping feature on the 76? or is it the same experience without it?

Pretty much the same. Mine doesnt show countour lines, high spots, even the beach for that matter. excellent for getting from point a to point b, but neither unit is an electronic chart, just a nav tool. I will look at them tonight when i get home and look for differences-but the two units are very similar.
Boyd

correction. I have the gps 72 and the gps 76. The GPSmap76 is a differnt beast, of which I do not know.
Boyd

i have the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-60Csx-Barometric-Altimeter-Compass/dp/B000CSOXTO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226108193&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Garmin Map 64 MB 60Csx With Barometric Altimeter & Compass: Electronics[/ame]

amazing little piece of kit. u wont regret it

Wow, thats a cool unit. I wish I could afford it...

any other thoughts on the GPS72 or GPSmap76?

irtrogdor,
I have and use a Garmin GPS76 on my yak here in Miami for years and in the Gulf of Mexico for years when GPS took over from the old Loran system. I am pretty much technicaly challanged and use just the very basic GPS functions with great success. The main accuracry problem with a GPS is to get exactly on the exact numbers. I yak out 2 mile off shore in my yak and can drop anchor into a sand patch that is about 10 ft by 10 ft on my favorite reef on almost every drop. It is easier for me to get on a lat line exactly and then come to the exact lon # slowly. Remember the GPS numbers indicated on any GPS reciever lags behind the actual position of a moving boat. The slower you come to the exact numbers the more accurate you will be. Remember that most hand held GPS units work much better upright, not held flat like lying on a table.
Last. I never worry about my 76 getting wet as it lives in a dry bag 24/7. I buy these at West Marine for 15 or 20 dollars each. Take your GPS to the story to get the correct size dry pouch. I think the 5x8 is the correct size for the GPS76 and 72 and the 4x6inch is the correct size for my iphone. Both the GPS and the iphone work great without taking them out of the dry bag.

West Marine: Waterproof Dry Paks for Electronics Product Display

Hope this helps
hau

nunca bucea solo y sin chaleco salvavida

Last edited:
thanks hua, that was very helpful!
one question though - isn't the GPS76 waterproof? I believe it's advertised as such.

Yes, the 76 is written to be waterproof. So is the 72 that costs $129. I have heard others say to buy at West Marine as you can buy some type of extended warrante or water damage warrante or something like that. Me, I can barley afford to buy the 72, let alone insurance for it. So the $15. dry pouch is the route I chose. Also the dry pouch makes the GPS unsinkable so that if I should accidentally drop it into the water I can just reach in and grab it off the surface. This approach has worked for me for years. I even keep 2 extra AA batteries taped together inside my GPS dry pak just incase.
Let me know if I can help further. Please use PM if you need a faster reply.
hau

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…