• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Seac sting

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

flandersander

May 26, 2011
Looking for info on the seac-sub sting. I've never heard of it before, and the 65 dollar price tag for the 75cm model seems to be too good to be true. I'm just looking for a gun to swim around our cold saskatchewan (thats canada) lakes. Anybody used/held one? I'm using a jbl mini carbine at the moment. Thanks

It's a new product (must have been on the market for a few months now).

The Sting is Seac's entry level bandgun. You cannot expect a great performance from that gun and never think to kill a Wahoo in the Ocean with a Sting 75. But if you're in Sasketchewan, and supposedly hunt for panfish and largemouth or similar freshwater fish, a gun like that is supposed to do the job.

See below some pics of my freshwater catches: as you see it's all from smallish guns.

Attachments

• valentino5tris.jpg
    valentino5tris.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 391
  • valentino6tris.jpg
    valentino6tris.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 401
  • valentinotris.jpg
    valentinotris.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
So... Has anybody tried the seac sting yet? I'm having trouble finding a place in the states I can get it from.

I'm most definitly not going to be giving an "expert" opinion here, but I just recently got in to spearfishing & my kids got me the Sting 75 for Christmas. Here's my personal experience with the gun so far (Being used for shallow water beach dives in Florida):

1. It's an entry level gun so you really arent getting much in the way of looks & extra's (Causing alot of joking behind your back from your friends with "real" guns.)

2. Take the nylon cord it comes with & toss it in the garbage. I set up a shooting line with 150lb mono & it was perfect (Again, just shooting smaller fish off the beach)

3. The accuracy is actually pretty impressive, I've been able to take some fairly small fish out at approx 10ft.

All in all I'd say it's a pretty decent gun for the price

That's perfect. Exactly what I wanted to hear. An opinion from somebody that actually has one. So, does yours come with 2 bands? And how about the line release, is it a mechanical "finger" that holds solid till the trigger is pulled? Where abouts was it purchased from? Really looking at getting one. Thanks!

I am not sure exactly want you want to here but the guns looks like what it says on the can!

Entry level, 16mm single band, (you dont want twin bands on an ally 75) 6.5mm spear - sounds great to me!

You are going to get a lightweight gun with a proven formula of band size & length matched to the spear.

This will give you good accuracy & minimum kick but it is a cheap product so you will get what you pay for.

The gun might not be balanced very well underwater with the spear in place?
The trigger might be stiff?
The spear my not be completely rust resistant?

Some detailed pics here....
Seac Sub STING Speargun for Spearfishing - UK Dive, swimming, snorkelling

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Spearfishing-Sting-75-Sling-Length/dp/B00569AEUQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1333457182&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Seac Spearfishing New Sting 75 Sling Gun (Length 75 cm): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21taps2JMNL.@@AMEPARAM@@21taps2JMNL[/ame]

Got it from Amazon for $60.00 w/ free shipping.

It comes with one set of yellow bands, but if you look around you can upgrade to black bands. (I'm not really sure how to set it up for 2 bands)

As far as rust, balance & trigger, no issues at all.

Really my only complaint is the nylon cord supplied with it, total garbage. But for $60.00 I got an awesome gun for banging around on the beaches & rockpiles & shooting dinner-sized fish. At some point I will have to upgrade to a gun with a little more power & a reel, but I should be able to get a couple years out of this one.

Okay, looks good. My question about the line release... The gun I currently have uses a friction type, and i'm limited to one wrap of chord. And on a 65 cm gun, that just isnt enough if I get a half decently clear day. So I need one that has a mechanical release. Most guns have it, jbl explorers are an example.

Here come's the rookie in me. I'm not sure as to the type of realease, but will take some pics tonight & post them

& here's the idiot in me...I have some pics on my phone I can text or email to you, not sure how to get them on the forum

Awesome! Thanks so much. So, the line release goes foreward when you pull the trigger, or is it just on a spring?

I am sure it will be the same style of line release as fitted to 99% of euro guns, the line wraps around a post that is connected to the trigger mech.
The line is released on pulling the trigger.....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT